The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 06-13-2002, 10:05 PM   #1
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Sting Valar's Intervention in the Noldorian Royal House

Why did the Valar intervene in the Feanor - Fingolfin sword incident that happened in Tirion in the House of the King. Finwe was the High King of the Noldor and the father of these two. Shouldn't this matter had been handled by Finwe. He was the king of his people and their father.
Why did the Valar intervene.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:16 PM   #2
TarElendil
Wight

TarElendil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

in my opinion because Finwe would probably have handled it wrong due to his love for his sons. (Feanor more than fingolfin)
And also they judged him because he was the first to speak openly against the Valar.
TarElendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2002, 08:27 AM   #3
Kuruharan
Regal Dwarven Shade

Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kuruharan is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Tolkien

Or, the Valar wanted to keep the Elves from killing one another.

Although, Finwe's potential mishandling of the situation, and preventing Feanor from killing Fingolfin are probably related.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:37 AM   #4
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I think that the primary reason the Valar intervened is because Feanor drew his sword on Fingolfin in public before many people. While disputes within Finwe's house should have been resolved by Finwe, the threat of violence was a breach of the peace of Valinor and the responsibility for upholding the peace lay with the Valar.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:53 AM   #5
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Sting

Quote:
And also they judged him because he was the first to speak openly against the Valar.
Kind of, but more because he drew a sword at his brother Fingolfin.
Quote:
Now the unrest of the Noldor was not indeed hidden from the Valar, but its seed had been sown in the dark; and therefore, since Fëanor first spoke openly against them, they judged that he was the mover of discontent, being eminent in self-will and arrogance, though all the Noldor had become proud. And Manwë was grieved, but he watched and said no word.
Quote:
But Fëanor was not held guiltless, for he it was that had broken the peace of Valinor and drawn his sword upon his kinsman; and Mandos said to him: 'Thou speakest of thraldom. If thraldom it be, thou canst not escape it; for Manwë is King of Arda, and not of Aman only. And this deed was unlawful, whether in Aman or not in Aman.
Quote:
While disputes within Finwe's house should have been resolved by Finwe, the threat of violence was a breach of the peace of Valinor and the responsibility for upholding the peace lay with the Valar.
Quote:
Fingolfin bowed before Finwë, and without word or glance to Fëanor he went from the chamber. But Fëanor followed him, and at the door of the king's house he stayed him; and the point of his bright sword he set against Fingolfin's breast 'See, half-brother!' he said. 'This is sharper than thy tongue. Try but once more to usurp my place and the love of my father, and maybe it will rid the Noldor of one who seeks to be the master of thralls.'
It did happens in his house, so it should have been handled by his king and father Finwë.

[ June 14, 2002: Message edited by: Maédhros ]
Old 06-14-2002, 10:43 AM   #6
TarElendil
Wight

Sting

Quote:
Kind of, but more because he drew a sword at his brother Fingolfin
Yes, but these two things were intertwined. They thought he was responsible for the unrest of the Noldor. They probably also thought if they let Finwe handle it he would just let it slide due to the love for his sons and that would lead to more threats of killing and other crazy actions by Feanor.
Old 06-14-2002, 02:12 PM   #7
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Could it also be because it happened in Valinor?
Old 06-14-2002, 02:14 PM   #8
TarElendil
Wight

Sting

yea,
but i figured that was a given [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 06-14-2002, 03:13 PM   #9
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Sting

The interesting thing in this is that, the direct consequences were:
That Feanor was banished from Tirion. He took as his place to live in exile Formenos which is north of Aman, and a more distant land than Tirion.
The attack of Morgoth in Formenos, probably would have been more difficult to acomplish if Finwe was still in Tirion.
Could this decision have afected the fate of Finwe?
No banishment of Feanor, no killing of Finwe. Hmmmmmmmm.
Old 06-14-2002, 03:18 PM   #10
TarElendil
Wight

Sting

correct, yet the foresight of the Valar did not see this. They thought he would not return and if he did in a long while, though they doubled the watch of Valinor.
Old 06-14-2002, 04:43 PM   #11
Aldagrim Proudfoot
Shade of Carn Dûm

Aldagrim Proudfoot has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Even the Valar weren't all seeing. They weren't Eru.
Old 06-14-2002, 07:41 PM   #12
TarElendil
Wight

Sting

Did ANYWHERE in my post I say that? No, i didnt. But they did have amount of foresight. Like Melian, she made a prediction of Beren coming to Doriath.
I never compared them to Eru.
Old 06-14-2002, 09:13 PM   #13
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Sting

Quote:
For Elves and Men are the Children of Ilúvatar; and since they understood not fully that theme by which the Children entered into the Music, none of the Ainur dared to add anything to their fashion. For which reason the Valar are to these kindreds rather their elders and their chieftains than their masters; and if ever in their dealings with Elves and Men the Ainur have endeavoured to force them when they would not be guided, seldom has this turned to good, howsoever good the intent.
Hmmmmm. Their foresight is not that good actually.