The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-08-2002, 02:53 PM   #1
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Maédhros has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Maédhros
Shield Valar's Love for the Eldar

It is obvious from the Ainulindalë that the Valar had definitely a love for the Eldar:
Quote:
And so it was that as this vision of the World was played before them, the Ainur saw that it contained things which they had not thought. And they saw with amazement the coming of the Children of Ilúvatar, and the habitation that was prepared for them; and they perceived that they themselves in the labour of their music had been busy with the preparation of this dwelling, and yet knew not that it had any purpose beyond its own beauty.
Quote:
Now the Valar took to themselves shape and hue; and because they were drawn into the World by love of the Children of Ilúvatar, for whom they hoped, they took shape after that manner which they had beheld in the Vision of Ilúvatar, save only in majesty and splendour.
But they didn't love all of the Eldar the same.
Quote:
Manwë and Varda loved most the Vanyar, the Fair Elves; but the Noldor were beloved of Aulë, and he and his people came often among them. Great became their knowledge and their skill; yet even greater was their thirst for more knowledge, and in many things they soon surpassed their teachers.
Quote:
When many years had passed, Ulmo hearkened to the prayers of the Noldor and of Finwë their king. Who grieved at their long sundering from the Teleri, and besought him to bring them to Aman, if they would come. And most of them proved now willing indeed; but great was the grief of Ossë when Ulmo returned to the coasts of Beleriand, to bear them away to Valinor
It is interesting to note that while Aulë loved the Noldor the most, he didn't helped them after their rebellion as Ulmo did. Now, it's something to wonder at.
[img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-08-2002, 02:57 PM   #2
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I guess it is because Aule never left Valinor, like Ulmo, who had great power in ME, being the Lord of Waters. Aule does not strike me as very caring for ME, or one who takes any action to it, except the dwarves of course. Ulmo on the other hand seems to always in concern for ME, and it is also stated that he did seldom go to the council of the Valar, he was always at the shores and rivers of ME. One of coolest Valar in my opinion.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:15 PM   #3
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Silmaril

Quote:
Ulmo on the other hand seems to always in concern for ME, and it is also stated that he did seldom go to the council of the Valar, he was always at the shores and rivers of ME. One of coolest Valar in my opinion.
I agree with you Daniel, could it be because he was more instructed in music than all of the other Ainur?
Quote:
Now to water had that Ainu whom the Elves can Ulmo turned his thought, and of all most deeply was he instructed by Ilúvatar in music.
Old 07-08-2002, 03:19 PM   #4
Daniel Telcontar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Daniel Telcontar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It could be possible, but I think also because he was the Lord of Water Ulmo knew what Morgoth did. He knew when he attacked the elves, and when he won, because of the many streams and rivers in Beleriand. Also the orcs polluted the waters, which must have seemed terrible to Ulmo. Lastly, Ulmo nearly lost his servant Ossë who nearly was seduced, and I think this made Ulmo more vigilant of the danger Morgoth posed.
Old 07-09-2002, 12:02 AM   #5
Orofacion of the Vanyar
Wight

Orofacion of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Orofacion of the Vanyar
Thumbs up

Well, Aule had already went against Eru in making the dwarves, perhaps he was still a little wary.

I tend to agree that Aule seemed to show little interest in Middle Earth. I haven't the foggiest why though, after all he did create the land. You would think he'd go to visit the mountians or what not.

Maybe it is also in his nature. Ulmo seems to be more fiery and independent, his maiar Osse definetly was independent due to his brief service under Melkor. Ulmo's personality always reminded my of Poseidon or Neptune from Greek and Roman mythology, both being extremely restless and somewhat hot headed.

Aule seems to be far more serene and calm. This again reminds me of the Greek and Roman gods Hephestus (sp?) and Vulcan. Aule almost seems shy.

This might help to explain a little something.
Orofacion of the Vanyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2002, 10:15 PM   #6
Maédhros
The Kinslayer

Sting

Quote:
Ulmo's personality always reminded my of Poseidon or Neptune from Greek and Roman mythology, both being extremely restless and somewhat hot headed.
I give you that Ulmo seems like Poseidon, yet i wouldn't call him hot headed, but very independent of his fellow Valar.
Quote:
Aule seems to be far more serene and calm. This again reminds me of the Greek and Roman gods Hephestus (sp?) and Vulcan. Aule almost seems shy.
Wow, you have hit the button with that Analogy. Aule and Hephestus, both makers and creators. Yes, i would say that they could be considered shy too. The only difference is that Hephestus limped while Aule didn't. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]