The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-06-2003, 06:10 PM   #1
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Access Hollywood Picks Return of the King As #1 Can't Miss Movie of 2003

I've got goosebumps LotR finally gets some much deserved attention <P>They don't have the story online yet, but the show was just on here.<P><A HREF="http://entertainment.msn.com/accesshollywood/" TARGET=_blank>http://entertainment.msn.com/accesshollywood/</A><P>They mainly showed the same material you'll find on the TT DVD, with a few words from Elijah Wood and Sean Astin.<p>[ September 06, 2003: Message edited by: Shy Hobbit ]

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2003, 08:23 PM   #2
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

So sad, I changed the channel at number two. Looks like I just missed it.<P>Iarwain
Old 09-06-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

'Access Hollywood' doesn't air on my TV until 12:35 AM.<P>Should I dare to stay up to watch it? Methinks I just might.
Old 09-06-2003, 09:21 PM   #4
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Sweet. A little extra exposure can't hurt our chances at some big awards at the next Oscar's.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 12:12 PM   #5
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Sting

I was watching with great anxiety... hiding it of course. Don't want Mom to think I'm too crazy (don't quite have her converted yet) I got worried when they started talking about the number three movie (although three still would have been good) as the grand finale to a trilogy, but it turned out to be Matrix. Also took all that was in me to refrain comments about three other movies in the list featuring actors from LotR.

Old 09-07-2003, 01:43 PM   #6
Horse-Maiden of the Shire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Horse-Maiden of the Shire has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Darn it! I think I either missed it completely, or only watched the part with the Johnny Depp interview. Although that might have been ET or EXTRA...I can never keep track of those shows.
Horse-Maiden of the Shire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2003, 05:45 PM   #7
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Sting

I stayed up late last night to watch it. Looks like there will be some good movies coming out this fall and winter. Also, some competition for ROTK.<P>Here are some movies that I saw previews for that may be a threat to ROTK when it comes to the Oscars (my apologies if the summaries aren't quite accurate):<P><B>Radio:</B> (starring Cuba Gooding Jr., Ed Harris) Based on a true story about a mentally challenged guy named Radio and football. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B>All movies based on a true story seem to have a message attached to them. This movie is no exception. <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor<P><B>Cold Mountain</B>: (starring Nicole Kidman, Renee Zellweger) Does the summary really matter? As long as you know it's a Civil War movie. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B> A large part of American history is brought to life with Nicole Kidman in it. <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Actress, Best Supporting Actress, Best Picture, Best Director<P><B>Mona Lisa Smile</B>: (starring Julia Roberts, Kirsten Dunst, Julia Stiles) Taking place in the 50s, the story is about a teacher at a women's college and her students. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B> This movie is supposed to be the best Julia Roberts movie yet. <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Actress, Best Picture, Best Original Screenplay, Best Director<P><B>Master and Commander: The Far Side of the World:</B> (starring Russell Crowe, Billy Boyd) Based on the tenth novel of the Master and Commander series by Patrick O'Brian, it's a high seas adventure set in early 19th century. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B>The action! The history! The leading actor! <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Actor, Best Adapted Screenplay, Best Sound<P><B>The Missing:</B>(starring Cate Blanchett, Tommy Lee Jones, Evan Rachel Wood) The story takes place in 1886, New Mexico, where a father teams up with his daughter to rescue her daughter, Lily, who's been kidnapped by outlaw Army deserters. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B> This is another movie based on a novel and has a well-known director (Ron Howard). <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Director, Best Adapted Screenplay<P><B>The Last Samurai</B> (starring Tom Cruise) In the 1870s, a Civil War veteran arrives in Japan to train troops of the emperor, Meiji. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B> Hello? Two Words: TOM CRUISE. Oh, and it really is supposed to be a major epic film. <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Actor, Best Picture, Best Sound<P><B>The Alamo:</B> (starring Dennis Quaid, Billy Bob Thornton) The story of the fall of the Alamo. <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B> It's another major part of American history. <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Visual Effects, Best Original Screenplay, Best Sound<P><B>The Matrix: Revolutions</B> (starring Keanu Reeves, Hugo Weaving, Lauren Fishburne...) The conclusion of the Matrix trilogy (I don't think I need to say anymore). <B>Why an Oscar nomination?</B> This movie will be big competition for special effects. <B>Oscar Nominations (My Predictions):</B> Best Visual Effects, Best Sound<P>What can I say? That's an awful lot of competition for ROTK. But hey, ROTK was #1 on this list, so perhaps it'll become #1 for the Oscar nominations list. We know ROTK is the best movie out of all of them.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:01 AM   #8
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Sting

And we all know that the opinion of adoring fans is what really counts

Old 09-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #9
elfearz1
Shade of Carn Dūm

elfearz1 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elfearz1
Eye

yay! We all know it deserves to be #1. Now if only the people in my town would agree. *sigh* maybe some day...
elfearz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2003, 07:11 PM   #10
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
Sting

Well, I may be biased, but none of these films so far managed to make me want to see them. erm, but, I'm usually in the minority. I would venture to say this is less of a competition than when FOTR came out - but let's not be hasty.
Old 09-09-2003, 08:30 AM   #11
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Sting

I dunno, they were making an awfully big deal over The Last Samurai and The Alamo. The first because it has a huge hollywood name in it, and the second because it's a historical drama. I can almost see them sweeping the Oscars already Not that I care. I don't have much respect for the Acadamy anymore

Old 10-06-2003, 03:07 PM   #12
Lindir
Haunting Spirit

Lindir has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I just saw the trailer...it was awesome. ROTK definetly is the best for last...It's gonna be sad though, because that's the end of the fellowship!
Come not between the Nazgul and his prey!Or he will not slay thee in thy turn.He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shrivelled mind be left naked to the Lidless Eye.
Lindir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2003, 08:54 AM   #13
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I just saw the trailer...it was awesome. ROTK definetly is the best for last...It's gonna be sad though, because that's the end of the fellowship! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Alas, all good things must come to an end But it is not the end, we can relive it whenever we wish, and we will always have our beloved books <P>Although I will miss waiting for trailers, counting off days, and speculating upcoming movies. But nonetheless, it's been great just to have had the experience

Old 10-07-2003, 11:17 AM   #14
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, those movies didn't fire me up particularly. ROTK should blow them all away...hopefully, anyway. Cold Mountain...well, I know nothing about the American Civil War anyway... <P>EDIT: And about the end of the story...don't forget the Golden Ring Marathon! (see the thread in Novices and Newcomers if you're curious <BR> )<p>[ October 07, 2003: Message edited by: Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 ]
Old 10-08-2003, 10:01 AM   #15
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well it is about time LOTR gets some attention, by the way has any of the movies one the Best Picture Award at the Oscars.
Old 10-08-2003, 11:56 AM   #16
Dwalin
Pile O'Bones

Dwalin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

So far, LOTR hasn't recieved any Best Picture Oscars. FotR was beat out by A Beautiful Mind and TTT was trounced by Chicago. However, I think RotK has a good chance for Best Picture. Then again, the Academy has a severe bias against fantasy/sci-fi movies. I guess we'll just have to keep our fingers crossed.