The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-13-2005, 03:56 PM   #1
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Elendhel has just left Hobbiton.
Longest LOTR Discussion You Ever Had?

I was talking to a guy over IM, and before you know it, 7 hours had passed with barely a word that wasn't Rings related....Obviously it wasn't quite non-stop, but you get the point. What about you lot? Are you as sad as me?
Elendhel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 02:57 AM   #2
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Definitely! Hour long conversations on LotR are great fun, and a good icebreaker too as I have recently discovered .
Old 07-14-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Nobody ever wants to talk with me so long about LOTR.
But the one long time I had was Aug (maybe Sep) of 2001 (pathetic that I remember!). I had just finished reading LOTR for my first time that night, the next day I had to pick up my sisters from the airport and for the next 2 hours, in the car, I told them the whole story, crying and everything. Afterall, they were a captive audience but they were genuinely interested.
Old 07-14-2005, 06:41 AM   #4
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

7 hours? O dear, O dear, O dear!

I seem to remember a quite heated debate about Feanor among other Tolkien characters and stories. It was probably straight Tolkien for about 2 hours.

Another good discussion is favourite character. It's so simple but can last for ages, and it never gets old!
Old 07-14-2005, 07:09 AM   #5
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Aiya! Ed' i'ear ar' elenea! (Oh! By the sea and stars!)

I feel I've out geeked the lot of you!

But I'll bet your time on here adds up to more than my 7 hours

And before I know it...I'll be sucked in too.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:40 AM   #6
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Recurring Arguments

I've got a recurring debate with my husband that comes and goes but has been going on since right after the theatrical release of Two Towers as to the merits of Gandalf leaving the Hobbits to their own devices in the Scouring of the Shire. Not 7 hours straight, but an on-and-off one topic discussion spanning a few years!

And I've also kept a reply window open for a whole day while I figured out what to say, but I can't really count that. I also took out the garbage, worked, went to the store, gardened, etc. etc.

Cheers!
Lyta

P.S. Incidentally, Elendhel, what Rings topic(s) comprised the 7 hour conversation?
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 08:55 AM   #7
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Oh we went through loads of stuff, the classics like what should and shouldn't have been changed for the film, the sense of immersion, emotion, depth, attachment, the excellent talent of EVERYONE involved in the films, the excellent writing/transcribing from book to film, memorable dialogue, goosebump moments, Andy Serkis not getting enough credit for giving Gollum his human (hobbit) elements that made you care so much, the perfect casting, Ian MacKellen's outstanding talent as an actor, Hoping that Ian Holm plays Bilbo in The Hobbit, the wanting to speak fluent Elvish, wanting to be an extra in the film, wishing it were real (classic), the sense of dread realising that you're at the end of the book and it's all over! The Silmarillion, the tales of middle earth and the appendices having enough material to spawn another 6 films, the wishing that there could be more LOTR stories, about how the book remains classic, but how will the film be received by the next generation...I could go on for another 7 hours probably!

I don't know how you stand on run on sentences but that was a good one.
Old 07-14-2005, 09:14 AM   #8
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Ah, a general overview! That's a good job taking it to 7 hours! And I think they could many MANY films from Tolkien's material, right down to the story of Aldarion and Erendis...

Cheers and welcome to the Downs!
Lyta

P.S. If you want to see dangerous Tolkien geekery, head to the old Canonicity thread in the Books forum. Lots of opinions and nothing really gets solved. But I think there is not a problem to be solved, just a delightful otherworld to get lost in! And I don't think I'll revisit the Balrog question!
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 09:23 AM   #9
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Hah! I think I'll steer clear of the heavier never ending debates! Or I could be here all week. I'm not one for reading too much into things anyway, I just tend to waffle on for hours at a time in my over-enthusiastic excitement at things.

Diola lle, saesa omentien lle. (Thank you, pleasure meeting you)
Old 07-14-2005, 10:12 AM   #10
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

The Best I have achieved is a two hour-long real-life debate on the Balrogian problem. I can't remember weather we said the wings were real or metaphorical in the end, but I do seem to remember annoying said person by using book quotes whereas he had only seen the films! But we still managed to go on for two hours.

I have had 4 hour long conversations over MSN with friends about Bombadill, Feanor, Turin and others, but nothing that immediately springs to mind as being more than 4 hours long.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:05 AM   #11
Kitanna
Child of the West

Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kitanna is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Shield

Seven hours? My word.

Two of my friends came to my house once and we watched all three LOTR movies in a row. (a good 12 hour block of time) So I'd say about two hours of that time was spent talking about the characters and themes of LOTR. Though it was on again off again conversation.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:22 AM   #12
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We-ell...there was a time in my life when my little sister and I didn't talk about anything but the LotR...before the movies came out. Just about every word that came was LotR related or a direct quote. That's poor to say even here on a LotR site, but I do have the excuse that we were young and I didn't have a job yet, nor a better purpose in life.

Granted, we don't talk constantly, and we were not always debating or arguing. Much of the time we were simply quoting. But there were points of discussion, naturally.

So, I can state no hours, but it was a lot of time taken up.
Old 07-14-2005, 11:47 AM   #13
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Lasta lalaithamin! (Listen to my laughter!)

None of you have out talked the *n00b* in a single stretch!
Old 07-14-2005, 01:36 PM   #14
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Roundabout the time of the Two Towers release, in the days when LotR hype was at its height, I spent most of my days with a small group of friends who were just as fantasy/LotR obsessed as I was. We probably spent as long as ten hours together in a day, and the topic would most likely stray only from LotR to consult on our choice of pizza toppings or somesuch. It wasn't a sit-down-straight-talk session, but if there was any constant stream of conversation in that day, it would have been almost entirely LotR-related.

I had a two-year long ongoing argument over the questionability of my sanity, due to my persistent Denethor adoration. I insisted that a) he was sane, b) I was sane, c) I was sane for loving him, and d) he was sane if he ever decided to approach me in the street. A few hundred people argued against it.

I think the longest I've sat down and discussed LotR straight through is, oooh... four hours? Maybe five on-off-ish.
Old 07-14-2005, 01:48 PM   #15
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
None of my family or friends are interested in LotR, so I never have nice long conversations about Tolkien's work. They all think my rambling on about the Fall of Númenor or whatever topic I'm suddenly engrossed in is annoying and dull.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 03:17 PM   #16
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
I have the same problem with my family Alcarillo. They like the books (well two of them do) but the second I start to talk about them they all groan and run away!
Old 07-14-2005, 04:31 PM   #17
Ashiris Talis

Ring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elendhel
I was talking to a guy over IM, and before you know it, 7 hours had passed with barely a word that wasn't Rings related....Obviously it wasn't quite non-stop, but you get the point. What about you lot? Are you as sad as me?

Hah! I was totally that guy. Good lord, that was a lot of LotR action. But we all know LotR is more important than sleep, so it's all good.

Last edited by Ashiris Talis; 07-14-2005 at 04:40 PM.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:41 PM   #18
Elendhel
Pile O'Bones

Ashiris! Cormamin lindua ele lle, nae saian luume'

We out geeked this lot with our conversation. And now, we're in danger or repeating it in this thread.
Old 08-17-2005, 09:59 AM   #19
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
maybe 6 hours me and my friend were discussing LOTr inbetween scenes at drama rehersal elapsed time was probably 3 hours