The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2005, 05:06 PM   #41
Eruanna
Memento Mori

Eruanna has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Wasn't it George Bernard Shaw who said that America and Britain are two countries divided by a common language?
This thread proves him right!

Apart from all of the differences in spelling and misconceptions about various foods; there is one thing that has always puzzled me. I like to cook and have often wanted to try recipes from America. However, I haven't yet managed to find out, exactly how much is a 'cup'?

Sophia, your Seed cake certainly sounds like the one my mother used to make.

For those looking to try Vegemite...don't bother, 'tis but a pale shadow of the delight that is Marmite
Old 03-10-2005, 05:10 PM   #42
Sophia the Thunder Mistress
Scent of Simbelmynë

Sophia the Thunder Mistress has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sophia the Thunder Mistress
White Tree

I believe a 'cup' is equivalent to a half-pint. Pretty sure you Brits know how much that is.
The seasons fall like silver swords, the years rush ever onward; and soon I sail, to leave this world, these lands where I have wander'd. O Elbereth! O Queen who dwells beyond the Western Seas, spare me yet a little time 'ere white ships come for me!
Sophia the Thunder Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2005, 05:19 PM   #43
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophia the Thunder Mistress
[Edit] Excuse my ignorance, Rumil, but what is Manx? As far as I've always known it's a breed of cat? Is it a language/dialect as well?
I'm neither a Noldorin scribe named Rumil, nor even a Brit, but I think I can answer this question.

To the best of my knowledge, Manx refers to the Isle of Man, a largish isle situated between Great Britain and Ireland, and home to an indigenous, Celtic-style culture. I also believe that the tail-less Manx cats come from here.
Old 03-11-2005, 03:28 AM   #44
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
The Isle of Man also has a strong Viking heritage, and it has the oldest parliament in the world, the Tynwald. Manx is not a living language in the same way as Welsh and Irish Gaelic, which are used on a day to day basis as a first language by many native speakers, but it is undergoing a strong revival, as is the Cornish language.

Culturally, the Isle of Man is interesting with the influence of not only the Vikings and the English, but also two different Celtic cultures, Scotland and Ireland.

I wonder what they call 'cake' there?
Old 03-11-2005, 04:00 AM   #45
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
cake:

jannoo keeak ~ cake

keeak tey ~ tea cake

berreen ~ cake
berreen charvish ~ seedcake
berreen corkey ~ oatcake
berreen Elveishagh ~ Swiss roll
berreen ghryle ~ girdle cake, slapjack
berreen mess ~ slabcake
berreen oarn ~ barleycake
berreen ooyllagh ~ apple tart
berreen ruggyree ~ birthday cake
berreen soo thallooin ~ strawberry cake
berreen spiosit ~ spicecake
berreen spunje ~ sponge cake
berreen Vadeiragh ~ Madeira cake
berreen vanshey ~ bride's cake
berreen vashtee ~ christening cake
berreen volley ~ honey cake
berreen vreck ~ currant cake
piosenniel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #46
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles for Cakes?

Quote:
Culturally, the Isle of Man is interesting with the influence of not only the Vikings and the English, but also two different Celtic cultures, Scotland and Ireland.
Kinda off topic (sorry) but I do have family there, as well as in England somewheres. Unfortuneatly, I seem to have more Japenese influence than Manx. The closest thing I can recall here that resembles a seed cake, is a rice cake. If you buy them in a store, they're round disk like things where the rice has been baked and fused together.

When I think of sponge cake, I think of those infamous, fattening, and cream filled Twinkies!
Old 03-11-2005, 12:12 PM   #47
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Eye

Thanks for the seed cake pic Sophia, that's exactly the sort I remember. Maybe I'll have to go on a cake-related shopping expedition sometime soon.

Meanwhile pio, Lalwende and formendacil have answered the Manx question better than I ever could!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:23 PM   #48
Nuranar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nuranar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Nuranar
And thank you, Rumil, for the "corny" ( ) clarification. (It was begging so hard I couldn't resist.)

Sophia, I love poppy seed cake! I'm hungry now...

Here's another cake question: Is "pound cake" the same all over? What about shortcake (as in strawberry)? Is there such a thing? We always use pound cake for strawberry shortcake - now that this thread has me thinking, it sounds strange.
Old 03-11-2005, 02:07 PM   #49
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
Pound o' butter
Pound o' sugar
Pound o' flour
Pound o' eggs

= pound cake.

Modern recipes have varied, of course, but in the beginning, the above sufficed.

My mom the Mainer assures me this is so.

Do you think hobbits ate cake with their strawberries and cream?

Last edited by mark12_30; 03-11-2005 at 02:12 PM.
mark12_30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 02:59 PM   #50
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Being a sad bean counter, I can tell you that the difference between a cake and a biscuit is that when exposed to the open air a biscuit will go soft and a cake will go hard. So although a jaffa cake looks like a biscuit .. it is a cake...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/alabaster/A528040

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #51
TomBrady12
Haunting Spirit

TomBrady12 has just left Hobbiton.
wow Sophia, your mother made that cake too? wierd...

I think up he-ah in the Noth, up he-ah in Waldo County Maine, we ah probibly the closest Americans to the Brits in the Country...Ayup

reading The Hobbit, I tend to think of cake being close to what Sophia showed, but I also think of things like Zucchini Bread, which is loaf shaped with a crusty exterior, and soft, but kind of heavy interior. It is spicey and sweet, i think it has a lot of cinnamon in it, maybe nutmeg, not really sure. Anyway, its good, similar to bananna bread i guess.

Nothing like corn on the Cob from Dickie Ingraham...ok im wandering

Anyway, all i really know is the hobbit makes me hungry!

Ohhh....another thing I might envision is brown bread, which, up here at least, is a traditional saturday night fixture to go along side baked beans.

TB12
TomBrady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2005, 03:25 PM   #52
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai
The closest thing I can recall here that resembles a seed cake, is a rice cake. If you buy them in a store, they're round disk like things where the rice has been baked and fused together.
We have rice cakes in the UK too. They are much beloved of women who sit and eat them at their desks with a look of pure disgust on their faces, and when you ask them what's the matter with their food they say "Ugh, I'm eating rice cakes, they taste horrible and dry, but they are low fat!." I like them myself, especially with tuna on them, and I always think they smell of struck matches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark 12_30
Do you think hobbits ate cake with their strawberries and cream?
No, strawberries and cream are so nice they need to be eaten on their own. But a cake after a dish of strawberries and cream would be nice, it would 'fill up the corners' perfectly.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:31 PM   #53
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomBrady12
I think up he-ah in the Noth, up he-ah in Waldo County Maine, we ah probibly the closest Americans to the Brits in the Country...Ayup
As long as y'don't go too fah nothwest. Odd folk thataway. But not as odd as them newcomahs down by th' border. Yessuh. City folk. Lost in the Shiyah.

Quote:
Ohhh....another thing I might envision is brown bread, which, up here at least, is a traditional saturday night fixture to go along side baked beans.
'Specially at pot luck suppahs. To be follow'd by Strahberry rubahb pie. Think Bilbo might like some?

Quote:
Anyway, all i really know is the hobbit makes me hungry!
Pass the brown bread. All them dwarves'll take some.

And let's give Bilbo some o' that strahberry rubahb, and watch his face.
Old 03-12-2005, 12:40 PM   #54
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles: Low Fat/Low Carb Variety

Quote:
We have rice cakes in the UK too. They are much beloved of women who sit and eat them at their desks with a look of pure disgust on their faces, and when you ask them what's the matter with their food they say "Ugh, I'm eating rice cakes, they taste horrible and dry, but they are low fat!." I like them myself, especially with tuna on them, and I always think they smell of struck matches.
I wouldn't say struck matches, more like the taste and smell of stale cardboard. Of course, I'm pretty sure good ole Sam Gamgee could make them taste better.
Quote:
Here's another cake question: Is "pound cake" the same all over? What about shortcake (as in strawberry)? Is there such a thing? We always use pound cake for strawberry shortcake - now that this thread has me thinking, it sounds strange.
I can't say I ever heard or 'pound cake', though I've eaten my mum's delicious strawberry short cake. The cake itself reminds me of 'angel-food cake' (flavored with vanilla, while 'devils food cake' is rich with chocolate) then the cool whip and jucy strawberries.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:37 PM   #55
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai
...strawberry short cake. The cake itself reminds me of 'angel-food cake' (flavored with vanilla, while 'devils food cake' is rich with chocolate) then the cool whip and jucy strawberries.
We usually used angelfood cake with strawberries. Betcha hobbits would love that.
Old 03-12-2005, 01:51 PM   #56
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Special praise goes to mark/Helen for her valiant attempts to keep her posts Tolkien-related!! Let her serve as a shining example to all who post here!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2005, 06:40 PM   #57
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril

I always pictured cram as rice cakes.

Attend: hard (with a rather styrofoam-esque texture), dry, somewhat tasteless, lasts forever.

Picture, if you will, 13 dwarves and an unlucky hobbit living on naught but rice cakes.

Fea
Old 03-13-2005, 12:58 PM   #58
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Except isn't cram supposed to be very filling? Because I could eat rice cakes all day and still be hungry (if I could stand the taste, that it).
Old 03-14-2005, 06:36 AM   #59
Celebuial
Wight

Celebuial has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Celebuial
I like rice cakes!!! Well Snack-a-Jacks at any rate.... I can't imagine Hobbits enjoying them though, although they could eat them allday without getting full. I s'pose that that would take the fun out of eating though...

I wonder if there is the same kind of divide between The Four Farthings with food? And what about words (just the other day I came across the word "coignes" and was assured that it referred to the British word "quoins"!)?
Boe min bango.
Celebuial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2005, 07:29 PM   #60
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Titles and Rice Cakes

Quote:
I like rice cakes!!! Well Snack-a-Jacks at any rate.... I can't imagine Hobbits enjoying them though, although they could eat them allday without getting full. I s'pose that that would take the fun out of eating though...
Quite the opposite of lembas eh? I think that if they ate rice cakes, it would most likely be with a mug of ale, because well...they drink it with just about everything.
Old 06-18-2022, 11:20 AM   #61
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
First off, let me acknowledge how dumb it is I remember this thread from 17years ago but struggle to remember my new coworkers’ names.

Now on to the point.

Handkerchiefs. Maybe it’s cultural but the only association I have with handkerchiefs is sort of low brow country folk. Bilbo having a handkerchiefs makes since because he’s so rural. Elrond having one is weird and when I read Bilbo borrowed Elrond’s handkerchief I laughed out loud for some reason. And I can’t quite articulate why. Im haven’t the darndest time seeing him wiping away sweat it just makes me chuckle. And blowing his nose? Out of the question Elves don’t get sick… and if they do don’t loan out the snot one to Bilbo…
Old 06-19-2022, 12:26 PM   #62
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Up until quite recently, the Sixties (and among traditionalists the Eighties), no Englishmen who considered himself or aspired to be a gentleman would be without his handkerchief. This was separate from the one carefully folded in the jacket breast pocket, which was just for show;* the functional hanky was kept in another pocket out of sight, or tucked into the sleeve.

Paper tissues (i.e. Kleenex) simply didn't figure. One could say that the old guard were more environmentally friendly!
William Cloud Hicklin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2022, 12:52 AM   #63
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morsul the Dark View Post
Perhaps it is only because I live n Rhode Island but when Reading TH for the first time I was amazed at how many "cakes" the dwarves ate because I pictured a cake as a birthday cake not a (as Im assuming was meant) a biscuit did anyone else due to dialects misinterpret something as funny or unusual?

I put this here because although about the books it is a not serious
Here (in Denmark) birthday cakes are not necessarily the norm, so I always assumed it was a cake of a more moderate size (like pastry or a custard pie). I was however thrown of by the outlandish nature of the cakes, one was translated as a "cumin cake" which I thought sounded dreadful.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2022, 03:34 PM   #64
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Originally Posted by William Cloud Hicklin View Post
Up until quite recently, the Sixties (and among traditionalists the Eighties), no Englishmen who considered himself or aspired to be a gentleman would be without his handkerchief. This was separate from the one carefully folded in the jacket breast pocket, which was just for show;* the functional hanky was kept in another pocket out of sight, or tucked into the sleeve.
Although I'm not English and few things are further from my mind than aspiring to be a gentleman I use handkerchiefs to this very day (often washed together with my trousers because I forgot to take them out of the pocket). Paper tissues are reserved for periods of extreme runniness, hankies take care of everyday business.

As for the question of cakes vs biscuits (not to mention cookies), I've come to understand that this is a matter of severe contention between the English and the denizens of their renegade colonies. Here in Germany we distinguish between kuchen and torten; kuchen are usually dry (except for fruitcakes and cheese cakes), whereas torten are topped with some sort of cream. A birthday cake in English (the kind of thing with candles on top) would in most cases be a torte in German.

Now Bilbo's cumin cake is translated as kümmelkuchen in my German Hobbit, which does sound strange. Spontaneously I would have said it's probably a kind of cracker (ha! another category!), but it could also be something akin to Alsatian flammkuchen (flatbread usually topped with sour cream + other ingredients, all baked together, similar to pizza) or zwiebelkuchen (a kind of quiche topped with onions and usually flavoured with caraway seeds, which is not the same as cumin but related, I believe).

Trust a culinary topic to draw me out of Entishness (Ent-ity?)!
Old 06-21-2022, 06:33 PM   #65
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitchwife View Post
As for the question of cakes vs biscuits (not to mention cookies), I've come to understand that this is a matter of severe contention between the English and the denizens of their renegade colonies. Here in Germany we distinguish between kuchen and torten; kuchen are usually dry (except for fruitcakes and cheese cakes), whereas torten are topped with some sort of cream. A birthday cake in English (the kind of thing with candles on top) would in most cases be a torte in German.
Pitchwife, I love you. You have just opened my eyes on why the Russian words for "pie" and "cake" don't really match up to "pie" and "cake" - a phenomenon which confused me for years. That is because the word for "cake" migrated there via Italian and German torte and has nearly the same sound and meaning, leaving the likes of fruit cake and carrot cake and other un-creamed cakes for "pie". You have just enlightened me to an etymological discovery, and that pretty much made my day.