The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-24-2005, 12:30 AM   #1
Dragon Reborn
Pile O'Bones

Dragon Reborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Frodo v's Elijah

Just wanted to know what everyone thinks about Elijah's acting. I thought it was kinda stodgy and I'm sure a lot of you agree that he is not the Frodo of the books. I think he is the kind of actor you can either love or hate.

The way he talks in the movies irritates me... don't ask why.

I think he should have had more of an input into the fighting scenes. We hardly see him fight at all, whereas in the books he is noble and brave. The other hobbits get to fight- y can't he??

Btw this is the first thread I've started so I hope its ok and it hasn't been done a million times before!

So what does everyone think?
Old 01-24-2005, 06:22 AM   #2
Turin
Animated Skeleton

Turin has just left Hobbiton.
I share your sentiments.

Apart from the fact that (for me) Elijah is way too young to play the Frodo of my own imagination, here's a couple of reasons:

I too was irritated at times by Elijah's voice. It just doesn't sound convincing. I remember the scene when the hobbits arrive in Bree and Frodo/Elijah says "our business is our own". I can't clearly explain why but it just irritated the hell out of me.

Too much eye-rollling and falling over.

Elijah sometimes doesn't exude an air of authority or of being quite intuitive enough.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:25 AM   #3
Finwe-89
Wight

Location: In Lotholorien, looking in the mirror that shows that there is still hope for life...
Finwe-89 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Finwe-89
The way Elijah acts like Frodo doesn't look that good. Elijah made Frodo look like a weakling with that voice of him, and those big eyes. But on the other hand, I don't think that any one else could fullfill the part of Frodo

Beware: Don't speak this loud when you're alone in the dark... Unless you really want it... But don't say I didn't warn you...
Finwe-89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:36 AM   #4
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
In this corner...

Well, its a toss-up! Elijah is 5'6" and much younger than Frodo, who is about 3'6" and 50 years old! They're both pretty fast, though, but I think Elijah has a lot of reach on Frodo. He could land more punches that way. Frodo, being a hobbit, has an extraordinary talent of making himself disappear when the 'big' people are around; thus he might elude Elijah for awhile. Also, depending on the point in his career, Frodo has THE ONE RING, while Elijah has a prop! It is interesting to speculate, but I think Elijah would have to corner Frodo if he were to win this bout. If Frodo can keep moving, he could escape, but he doesn't want to match punches with the much taller and younger Elijah!

Sorry, folks! I couldn't resist!

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:40 AM   #5
Essex
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Essex has just left Hobbiton.
One of the strengths of the film for me was the acting, and the quality Jackson got from his Cast just from a look, let alone dialouge

Elijah Wood did a very good job for me. Highlights that stand out:

'I'm here, Sam' at the Cracks of Doom. It still sends a shiver down my spine the way that line was delivered.

the cracks of doom section when he claims the ring.

His smile at the start and end of the Trilogy

his delivery of the 'do not know the way' line at the end of the Council of Elrond

many more to mention, but:

But most of all, when the tear runs down his face when he's lying with Sam at the 'End of all Things', waiting to die.....

PS Apologies if I've got anyone wrong, but just because he's not 'your' Frodo from the books should not cloud your judgment on whether Elijah wood acted well or not, should it?

PPS cross posted with Lyta, but to answer a point. In the book, 33 years for a hobbit is coming of age, ie 18 - 21 in 'real life' Human Years. In the film, we did not have the 17 year gap, so therefore Frodo left when he had come of age, so Elijah's age is perfect.
Essex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
In the book, 33 years for a hobbit is coming of age, ie 18 - 21 in 'real life' Human Years. In the film, we did not have the 17 year gap, so therefore Frodo left when he had come of age, so Elijah's age is perfect.
A point well taken, Essex! Still, if we take the age offset as 12 years, Elijah would be about 30 to Frodo's 50. Remember how Pippin teased Frodo about being out of shape in the beginning of Fellowship (the book that is...). Anyway, I agree with you about Elijah being the right age, as he would have been preserved at 33 (i.e. 21) due to the effects of the Ring, even if we had not had the 17 year stretch.

Cheers!
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”

Last edited by Lyta_Underhill; 01-24-2005 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Lyta got bad grammar
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2005, 12:12 PM   #7
mark12_30
Stormdancer of Doom

Location: Elvish singing is not a thing to miss, in June under the stars
mark12_30 has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via AIM to mark12_30 Send a message via Yahoo to mark12_30
I walk down a long road that lies between the movie and the book, looking left to right, enjoying the differences between the two.

Two Aragorns, very different, both likable for different reasons.

Two Boromirs. Two Faramirs. Two Legoli.

And definitely two Frodos.

But in each case, I am very fond of both of them. In considering each, I learn more about the other that I might not have otherwise noticed. And I remain the richer for it.