The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-16-2003, 02:55 PM   #1
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hirilaelin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting "The Hobbit" Play Adaption

I don't know if this is the right place, but "The Hobbit," is a book, so...

I am currently working on a play adaption of "The Hobbit," (Yes, I know that there is already one.) and I was wondering if anyone would like to help me with the project. I have already written Gandalf's meeting with Bilbo, and Bilbo's meeting of the dwarves, and I am working on the dinner. I'll post Scene One of Act One.

The Hobbit
a play adaptation

Cast:
Bilbo Baggins, a hobbit
Gandalf, a wizard
Thorin Oakenshield
Balin
Dwalin
Fili
Kili
Ori
Dori
Nori
Oin
Gloin
Bifur
Bofur
Bombur, all dwarves
Tom
Burt
William, three trolls
Elrond, Master of Rivendell
Goblin King
Gollum, a creature
Beorn, a skin-changer
spiders
Elven King of Mirkwood
Master of Lake Town
Bard, man of Lake Town
Smaug, the dragon
also, various elves, goblins, dwarves, and men, and Narrator

Act One, Scene One
Introduction, and Bilbo's meeting with Gandalf
This scene takes place outside of Bilbo's hobbit hole, on a fine spring morning.

Narrator: In a hole in the ground, there lived a hobbit. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy, hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a hobbit hole, and that means comfort. The door was perfectly round, and was painted green with a shiny yellow brass knob right in the middle. Inside, it was very comfortable, with tiled and carpeted floors, many windows, and furnished with many polished chairs, and many pegs for hats and coats, as this hobbit was fond of visitors. The hobbit that lived in this hole was one well to do and quite respectable Mister Bilbo Baggins. But now I suppose, you are wanting to know what exactly a hobbit is. They are a small folk, and shy of "The Big People," as they call us. Their height is, of average, three and a half feet, and they are inclined to be rather stout, being fond of eating and drinking. The clothes that they wear are of bright colors, generally green and yellow, and they wear no shoes, for their feet are thick soled and leathery, with thick brown hair, like that of their heads, growing on top. And, they do not like adventures, preferring peace and quiet, and good food. And, it is on this note that I begin my story…

*fade to Bilbo outside his hobbit hole, smoking his pipe, and blowing smoke rings*

Bilbo: *at this moment, Gandalf walks up, and stops in front of his doorstep* Good morning sir!

Gandalf: *sternly* What do you mean? Do you wish me a good morning, or mean that it is a good morning whether I want it or not; or do you feel good this morning; or that it s a morning to be good on?

Bilbo: *rather surprised* Why, all of them at once! And, I might add, a fine morning for a pipe of tobacco out of doors. You are quite welcome to join me, there is no hurry, we have all day!

Gandalf: *still sternly* I thank you for the invitation, but I have no time this morning to share in a pipe. I am looking for someone to share in an adventure that I am arranging, and it's very hard to find anyone.

Bilbo: Well, I should think so, at least in these parts. We plain folk have no use for adventures. Nasty disturbing uncomfortable things! Make you late for dinner! I can't think what anybody sees in them. *takes out his letters, and reads them, pretending to think no more of Gandalf* *Gandalf continues to stand there, leaning on his stick* *Bilbo looks up at him again*

Bilbo: *in an annoyed tone* Well, good morning! We don't want any adventures here, thank you! You might try over The Hill or across The Water.

Gandalf: *rather amused* What a lot of things you do use Good Morning for! Now you mean that you want to get rid of me, and that it won't be good till I move off!

Bilbo: *getting rather flustered* Not at all, not at all, my dear sir! Let me see, I don't think I know your name?

Gandalf: Yes, yes, my dear sir! -and I do know your name, Mr. Bilbo Baggins! And you do know my name, though you don't know I belong to it. I am Gandalf, and Gandalf means me!

Bilbo: *surprised* Gandalf! Gandalf! Good gracious me! Not the very same wandering wizard of the wondrous fireworks, the very same responsible for sending so many respectable lads and lasses off into the Blue for mad adventures? I beg your pardon, but I had no idea that you were still in business.

Gandalf: *chuckling* Well, you certainly seem to remember my fireworks, even if you do not remember my name. I used to be quite well known in these parts you know. But anyhow, I will give you what you have asked for.

Bilbo: I beg your pardon, I haven't asked for anything!

Gandalf: Yes you have! Twice now. My pardon. I give it to you. In fact I will go so far as to send you on this adventure. Very amusing for me, very good for you-and profitable too, very likely, if you ever get over it.

Bilbo: *much alarmed* Sorry! I don't want any adventures, thank you. Not today. Good morning! But please come to tea-any time you like! Why not tomorrow? Come tomorrow! Good bye! *turns and scuttles into his hobbit hole and closes the door*

Gandalf: *continues to stand outside, and laughs quietly* *after a time, he stops, scratches a queer mark on Bilbo's door, and strides away* *end scene one*

Tell me what you think, and please contribute and correct! Everyone is welcome.
Hirilaelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2003, 06:46 PM   #2
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well, this is the scene where Bilbo meets the dwarves. I tried to shorten it a bit by eliminating the waits between the dwarves arrivals, and having a few arrive together instead of seperately.

Act One, Scene Two
Bilbo's Meeting of the dwarves
This scene takes place inside Bilbo's hobbit hole, in the kitchen and dining room.

Bilbo: *sitting in his kitchen, he hears a loud knock on the door* Oh no! Gandalf! Tea! Wednesday! *rushes to the door and opens it, to greet Gandalf* I am so sorry to keep you waiting Gandalf… *a dwarf is standing at the door instead, and Bilbo stops in surprise*

Dwalin: *bows low* Dwalin at your service!

Bilbo: *very surprised* Bilbo Baggins at yours! *a long uncomfortable pause* I am just about to take tea; pray come and have some with me.

Dwalin: I thank you, Master Baggins. *goes and sits at the table where some cakes and drink are laid out

Bilbo: *suddenly hears a knock at his door* Excuse me! *gets up, goes to the door, and opens it* So you have finally got here at last!

Balin: Yes, I am quite sorry for the delay. *bows* Balin at your service!

Bilbo: *shocked and with a gasp* I-I… I mean, er, thank you! I mean… *managing to recover his dignity* Pray come in and have some tea!

Balin: Thank you! But beer, and perhaps some seed cake, would suite me better if it is all the same to you, my good sir!

Bilbo: No, not at all! *hurries away for beer and cake, while Balin sits* *he comes back with the cake, hears the bell again* Excuse me please! *muttering* It has to be Gandalf this time… *goes to the door and opens it*

Fili and Kili: *bowing* Fili and Kili at your service!

Bilbo: At yours and your family's!

Fili: We thank you sir.

Kili: Ah, I see that Dwalin and Balin are here already! Let us join the throng! *go into the dining room where they sit with the other dwarves*

Bilbo: *Bilbo goes and sits in the corner, much confused, and mutters to himself* Throng? Oh, I do not like the sound of that… *at that moment, the sound of the bell is heard, and he goes to answer the door*

Dori: *bowing* Dori, at your service!

Nori: *also bowing* And Nori!

Ori: *bowing too* And also Ori!

Oin and Gloin: *coming up behind the others* And Oin and Gloin at your service!

Bilbo: *bowing them in* Er, eh, thank you, I mean, Bilbo Baggins and yours and your families'!

Dori: And we thank you! But, do you have anything for eating or drinking? We are quite famished.

Bilbo: Yes, I do, please come along to the kitchen. *leads them to the kitchen* *as they are seated, he hears someone tapping at his door* Dreadfully sorry, someone at the door! *muttering to himself* Now who is it, and what is going on, this is the most altogether bewildering and bewuthering Wednesday I have ever had, what on earth… *yanks open the door* *a pile of four dwarves fall in, one atop another, and Gandalf is standing behind, laughing*

Gandalf: Carefully, carefully! It is not like you Bilbo, to keep friends waiting on the mat, then open the door like a popgun! But now, let me introduce Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, and especially Thorin.

Bifur, Bofur, and Bombur: *all bowing* At your service!

Thorin: *frowning* Good day.

Bilbo: A good day to you too, and I am most sorry for this incident, pray come in and have a cup of tea and perhaps something to eat as well!

Thorin: *still frowning* Pray don't mention it. But red wine sounds better to me.

Gandalf: And to me also!

Bifur: Perhaps some raspberry jam and apple-tart for myself.

Bofur: And mince pies and cheese is what I would like.

Bombur: And pork pie and salad.

Other Dwarves: *calling through the door to the hall* And more cakes-and ale-and coffee if you don't mind!

Bilbo: Certainly, certainly, just a moment… *walks off down passage to cellars, becoming quite perturbed at all the orders*

Gandalf: *shouting after him* And put on a few eggs, there's a good fellow!
Old 03-17-2003, 09:16 PM   #3
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
yay, im not the only one, for, you see, i too am working on translating the Hobbit as such. Only difference is my version is a script for a movie
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2003, 01:11 AM   #4
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I never thought about the movies... Hmm... I was going to do LotR as a play, but then I realized how ludicris the idea was, as the play would have been days long. But "The Hobbit" it right for this sort of thing. The dialog is not that hard, but still entertaining, the story is easily acessable, and the setting is absolutely amazing.

When I was in a class for acting a while ago for 7th graders, I wrote two plays and finished one that needed an ending (kid stuff, short with a happy ending, nothing complex), so I know a bit about this. However, I still need some help editing. For example: Should I keep all the things that happened? Smaug will have to be kept, but things like Beorn could be cut, because they are not that crucile to the story.

I am also in a quandry about the effects. With cinema, it would be fairly easy to achieve size differences, fire breathing dragons, Dale, the palace of the elven king. However, with a play, you are limited by your own body. Also, there is a budget, even though I have not thought that far ahead. But anyway, the story... As I said, please comment, correct, critisize, (as long as it's constructive!) suggest, prod, poke, whatever!
Old 03-20-2003, 05:12 PM   #5
Hirilaelin
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

I'm going to close this, I don't think it worked out.