The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books > Chapter-by-Chapter
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-19-2004, 02:30 AM   #1
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril LotR -- Book 1 - Chapter 05 - A Conspiracy Unmasked

For the most part, this chapter takes place in Frodo’s (supposedly) new home in Crickhollow. Having the movie’s dramatic scene at Bucklebury Ferry in mind, the crossing of the hobbits as told in the book seems almost peaceful, with the danger less obvious, seen only from the other side of the river. Again they enter a house which provides them with a brief respite and nourishment – though it’s only Fatty Bolger standing in the light to welcome them this time!

Two poems are included in this chapter: the Bath Song, which I’ve always enjoyed very much, with it’s humorous back and forth between poetic and practical references to water; and the Farewell Song – so typical for hobbits to make a light-hearted poem in face of danger!

Rereading this chapter made me aware of the fact that it is Merry who has the greatest role in it. Though all of Frodo’s friends are involved and Sam is the chief investigator, it is Merry who is the chief conspirator, understanding the connections between the bits and pieces of information they’ve collected, and organizing everything. He is the one who says my favourite lines in this chapter, when Frodo complains that he cannot trust anyone:
Quote:
You can trust us to stick to you through thick and thin – to the bitter end. And you can trust us to keep any secret of yours – closer than you keep it yourself. But you cannot trust us to let you face trouble alone, and go off without a word… We are horribly afraid – but we are coming with you; or following you like hounds.
What a wonderful declaration of friendship!

The chapter ends with a look ahead, at the near danger of the Old Forest, the path they must take; and Frodo’s dream of the sea, a foresight into the far future for him.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote