The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-01-2003, 06:25 AM   #1
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting Miranda Otto as Eowyn, Lady of Rohan

I really admire Miranda Otto's portrayal of the Lady of Rohan. I think that suttle magnificence and beauty really gets you into the character of Eowyn. What does everyone else think?
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 07:14 AM   #2
Finnguala
Wight

Finnguala has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think Miranda was the right person. I really like her. <P>nice avatar!
Old 05-01-2003, 10:13 AM   #3
Peri
Wight

Peri has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As for appearance, she made a perfect Eowyn. But she seems a little childish to me in the movies. I liked her a great deal more in the books.
Old 05-01-2003, 11:54 AM   #4
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked her portrayal to an extent (I'm not a huge fan of those sorts of headstrong warrior women) but generally it was quite good.
Old 05-01-2003, 12:19 PM   #5
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I thought her looks fell WAY short of what they're portrayed as in the books, but you can't always find actors to suit that sort of billing ( Arwen also fell way short). Those are just my opinions though (and I'm sure I'll catch a lot of flak for it too! ) *The Only Real Estel puts on his flak-proof vest. <p>[ May 01, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2003, 05:31 PM   #6
Lily Bracegirdle
Wight

Lily Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I really liked her vulnerability and hope to see more of her strength soon. Miranda Otto also played Eowyn's feelings for Aragorn with the right amout of restraint. I was afraid she was going to be throwing herself at him, but she wasn't too overt.<P>The Official Down's thread on this topic is <A HREF="http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=4&t=001449" TARGET=_blank>here.</A><P>-Lily
Old 05-01-2003, 05:48 PM   #7
Cibbwin
Wight

Cibbwin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cibbwin Send a message via MSN to Cibbwin Send a message via Yahoo to Cibbwin
Sting

I loved Miranda Otto as Eowyn. She has that rugged beauty Eowyn needs, living in a place such as Rohan. She played the romance well enough that, as Lily said, she didn't throw herself at him, but with enough emotion to show that she really loved him. And she played the strong side of Eowyn very well.
Cibbwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 02:31 AM   #8
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

I really like the way Miranda Otto portrayed Eowyn. Do you think she and the one who portrayed Faramir (sorry, I don't know his name) look good together?
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2003, 03:59 AM   #9
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

It's David Wenham, and I totally agree!
Old 05-04-2003, 04:48 AM   #10
The Evenstar
Wight

The Evenstar has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I absolutely agree! Yup, Mirada Otto was one of the best-casted characters of the film (I think )<P>She did portray Eowyn well, but maybe a little more bravery, and, as Peri said, a little less childish. But on the whole, I must commend her for that!
Old 05-04-2003, 10:23 AM   #11
Arathiriel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Arathiriel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arathiriel
Silmaril

I thought Miranda Otto did a <B>TERRIFIC</B> job playing Eowyn in TTT and I look forward to seeing her again in ROTK - and incidentially I think that she and Faramir will go well together....can't wait to see how their portion of the storyline is handled!!!<P>~~*~~<BR>Frodo's face was peaceful, the marks of fear and care had left it; but it looked old, old and beautiful, as if the chiseling of the shaping years was now revealed in many fine lines that had before been hidden, though the identity of the face was not changed. Not that Sam Gamgee put it that way to himself. He shook his head, as if finding words useless, and murmured: 'I love him. He's like that, and sometimes it shines through, somehow. But I love him, whether or no.'<P>Samwise Gamgee<BR>Of Herbs and Stewed Rabbit<BR>LOTR: The Two Towers<P>~~*~~<BR>Visit the RingLeaders Fanfic Archive at: <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/ringleaders7/RL.html" TARGET=_blank>http://www.geocities.com/ringleaders7/RL.html</A>
Old 05-04-2003, 06:00 PM   #12
Luinalatawen
Wight

Luinalatawen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luinalatawen
Sting

She was great! She wasn't exactly what I pictured, but was excellent nonetheless.<p>[ May 04, 2003: Message edited by: Luinalatawen ]
Old 05-04-2003, 06:24 PM   #13
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

I thought she looked lovely but I have to disagree on the portrayal. <BR> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Then it seemed to Gimli and Legolas who were nearby that she wept, and in<BR>one so stern and proud that seemed the more grievous. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> Miranda Otto as Eowyn was not remotely stern and proud. We have already seen her weep, and giggle, and flirt, so the harrowing scene when she weeeps and falls on her knees before Aragorn, when he is leaving for the paths of the dead (if they keep it in at all) will not have much resonance, I fear.
Old 05-04-2003, 07:50 PM   #14
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I agree totally with Lalaith, and I couldn't have said it better. Or that well, for that matter <P>~Menelien
Old 05-04-2003, 11:46 PM   #15
Arvedui
Haunting Spirit

Arvedui has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I first saw Miranda in a bit part in Thin Red Line and it was the only part of that movie that caught my interest. When I heard she was cast as Eowyn, I was confident she would do a fair job, but after seeing Two Towers, I thought she did an EXCELLENT job!
When Elendil fell, Isildur departed to take up the high kingship of his father, and committed the rule of the south in like manner to the son of his brother. He did not relinquish his royalty in Gondor, nor intend that the realm of Elendil should be divided forever.
Arvedui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:29 AM   #16
Everdawn
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: On the sand dunes outside of Ilium, watching it burn.
Everdawn has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

OH MY GOD! I met Mira in real life at a premier in Sydney and sh eis just the nicest person! She is the perfect Éowyn. And all thoes who live in Australia, who love Faramir, David Wenham is in seachange..Diver Dan! how cool is that?... anyway... these's my bit of excitement for now...

~My lord, Éomer~
Everdawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2003, 01:17 PM   #17
NinjaFerret
Animated Skeleton

NinjaFerret has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to NinjaFerret
Sting

She did a wonderful job with the character, but in my mind, I saw Eowyn as not quite so... round-faced. More chiseled regal features. Closer to Geena Davis. Ah well. It still worked.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:27 AM   #18
Beruthiel
Shade of Carn Dûm

Beruthiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that Miranda Otto did the best job she could as Eowyn but I don't think she had the right look, not as beautiful as I thought she was going to be (not to say that Miranda Otto isn't beautiful, just in a different way). That got me thinking though, if someone else was going to play Eowyn, who would you choose? I can't think of anyone else at the moment...
Old 05-06-2003, 09:42 AM   #19
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

I think she seemed like a gossipy schoolgirl (not that there's anything bad about that. I'm one ), which I don't think went with her character. She's a good actress, but I just don't think this was the right role.<P>~Menelien
Old 05-06-2003, 12:54 PM   #20
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Sting

*puts her hand up and giggles*<P>I would love to try out as Eowyn. I flatter myself too much, and you would all disagree, but I can do tragic, and I'm blonde... which is a start on the looks... I can do dresses! And I'm not too bad with a sword...<P>*puts hand down, embarrassed and giggles nervously*<P>Oh, and I adore Viggo Mortensen and David Wenham, so I would have no problem with my co-stars