The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-03-2003, 07:51 PM   #1
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien A Drinking Misconception

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go <BR>To heal my heart and drown my woe. <BR>Rain my fall and wind may blow, <BR>And many miles be still to go, <BR>But under a tall tree I will lie, <BR>And let the clouds go sailing by.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This song was heard by many viewers as Merry and Pippin led other Hobbits in the singing of this song at the Green Dragon Inn in the Extended Version of FOTR.<P>Or did they?<P>It seems to me that the last part of that song was changed.<P>For one thing, does anyone know how it goes now? I cannot find it online anywhere. No one has the extended version movie script. <P>For my second question...point...whatever, is there another version to this song that Tolkien came up with, or is it just something PJ and Fran decided to throw in? Opinions and possible answers please!
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 07:58 PM   #2
elven maiden Earwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

elven maiden Earwen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to elven maiden Earwen
Sting

I think it goes like this:<BR>Ho! Ho! Ho! to the bottle I go <BR>To heal my heart and drown my woe. <BR>Rain my fall and wind may blow, <BR>And many miles be still to go, <BR>Sweet to the sound of the poring rain<BR>and stream that runs from hill to plain<BR>better than rain of ripiling brook<BR>is a mug of beer inside this took<P>i have no clue about your second ? though.
elven maiden Earwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2003, 08:59 PM   #3
aragornreborn
Wight

aragornreborn has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was listening to the actors' commentary (I think) for the spec. ed. and I remember Billy Boyd saying how, yes, they did change the lyrics. I don't remember whose idea it was, it might even been his and Dom's. As for the new words, sorry, I've already forgotten who posted the movie version of the lyrics, but I'm pretty sure they were right.
At the name of Jesus every knee should bow and every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord. - Phil. 2:10-11
aragornreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2003, 08:58 AM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Thanks, Earwen. I never was able to quite hear all the words on the DVD. I doubt any changes were used to tone down the alcohol consumption. It likely was more to do with giving Boyd that final line.<P>H.C.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:23 PM   #5
balrogman
Wight

balrogman has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I think that the last part other than the "mug of beer inside this Took" is a slightly modified version of the bath song in FotR(book)
Old 03-04-2003, 07:41 PM   #6
Rose Cotton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Rose Cotton has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

So far, you've all been close to the words. If you go to the options part of your menu screan you can make it so there are subtites.I did this and this is how the words go in the movie.elven maiden Earwen was very close.<P>Ho Ho Ho to the bottle I go<BR>To heal my heart and drown my woe<BR>The rain may fall the wind may blow<BR>But there'll still be many miles to go.<BR>Sweet is the sound of the pouring rain,<BR>And the stream that falls from hill to plain.<BR>Better then rain or rippling brook,<BR>Is a mug of bear inside this Took.<P>I never knew that was taken from a Tolkien song though.
Old 03-04-2003, 07:56 PM   #7
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

Go here for the extended version script: <A HREF="http://www.stupidring.com/fotrscript/index.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://www.stupidring.com/fotrscript/index.htm</A> , if you would like to check more pieces.<BR>When you get there, click on the thing at the bottom left that says special extended version script.<p>[ March 04, 2003: Message edited by: GaladrieloftheOlden ]
Old 03-04-2003, 10:02 PM   #8
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> If you go to the options part of your menu screan you can make it so there are subtites. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>H.C. hits himself in the head at this simple solution.<P>H.C.
Old 03-04-2003, 10:12 PM   #9
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
1420!

And all this time I've been thinking the last line went "..and save this Took!" Duuuuuuh. And I even have the soundbit on my computer. *Joins HC in the head banging routine (quite refreshing, BTW).
Old 03-05-2003, 12:14 PM   #10
eleanor_niphredil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

eleanor_niphredil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've been wondering at the words myself for quite a while. Now i can doubily annoy my friend, as i now know the words too!
Old 03-06-2003, 11:54 AM   #11
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Ah, annoying ilLotRliterate friends...one of the best pastimes....<P>The song is a combination of two songs in the book, the one stated at the beginning, and the Bath Song. With an original last line, of course!