The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-08-2011, 06:27 PM   #1
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Narnangol has just left Hobbiton.
How do YOU pronounce 'Tolkien'?

I've heard many people say it many ways - ranging from Tol-kuhn and Tol-kin to a very dubious Tole-key-yunn from my friend, which prompted this thread. What have you heard, and what do you say?
Old 08-08-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I heard people say it "Tol-keen", "Tall-kin", "Tolkayn", and even "that guy who wrote the books you always carry around".

I pronounce it "Tolki-en", with the stress on TOL. Or, if it will be easier to understand this way, TOLkeeyen. So I would probably fall under your category of dubiousness.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 08-08-2011 at 07:34 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 08:23 PM   #3
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Haha, no, yours is fine. The pronunciation I called dubious had the emphasis on the last syllable. Is that not a bit strange? TolkiEN instead of TOLkien. I see differing pronunciations of it everywhere, including those you listed, because one of the Houses at my school is named after JRRT. You see people who have never heard of him before (I know!) staring at the crest on their uniform, wondering what to say.

Sometimes it seems people are unsure how to pronounce it and simply say 'the guy who wrote The Lord of the Rings' or something to that effect. I too have gotten 'you know, that one you sometimes go on about'.

On a similar note, I have also heard Numenor sans the 'oo', as in Numb-enor.

Last edited by Narnangol; 08-08-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Narnangol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #4
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narnangol View Post
On a similar note, I have also heard Numenor sans the 'oo', as in Numb-enor.
That's nothing. Some people say "sore-'n" for Sauron.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Ah, Sore-on. Probably the worst when it comes to character names, yes? I just don't see how people mess that one up.
And I do hate it when some can't even distinguish between one character and another - how many times have we heard Dumbledore for Gandalf?
Old 08-09-2011, 11:34 AM   #6
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
I used to pronounce it Tol-keen, but I've since been coerced by a relative who insists that it's a long I and the E is silent (if that's the proper way to describe it; I don't really know).
Old 08-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
I used to pronounce it Tol-keen, but I've since been coerced by a relative who insists that it's a long I and the E is silent (if that's the proper way to describe it; I don't really know).
A long 'i' and silent e? Wouldn't that still make it Tol-keen? Or Tol-kine? Do you mean Tol-kin? That's how I say it.
Old 08-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #8
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Haha, no, yours is fine. The pronunciation I called dubious had the emphasis on the last syllable. Is that not a bit strange? TolkiEN instead of TOLkien.
I tried to say that and couldn't. It just didn't work. I asked someone else to read it the way you wrote it. They also failed ("how the hell do you say that?" reaction). I know theoretically how TolkiEN would sound like, but I just can't say it. How does your friend do it? He must be a linguistic miracle!

Pronouncing it as TolkiYEN makes it sound Chinese (probably because all my failed attempts at pronouncing it turn it into Toukyan ). And Tolkeen/Tolkin - Slavic. And the Tolkayn that I mentioned - German (maybe because of the -ein endings?).

I also happened to be part of a little boring story regarding the name. In Russia, the Professor is known as TOLki-en. However, a copy of an obscure translation of one of his books put down his name on the front cover as TOLkeen/TOLkin (this is a poor effort to recount the pronounciation...). One of the Russian people I know asked me upon seeing the book who on earth wrote it, since the name sounded like a Russian last name, but the photo on the front was Tolkien's.
Old 08-09-2011, 10:37 PM   #9
Eruhen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eruhen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
AHH! AHH! Flashbacks to Rankin/Bass! AAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!

In all seriousness, though, I say TOLK-in. Though, I hear that he pronounced it TOLK-een. Take from that what you will.
Eruhen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 10:46 AM   #10
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
One of the Russian people I know asked me upon seeing the book who on earth wrote it, since the name sounded like a Russian last name, but the photo on the front was Tolkien's.
Hahahaha! Well, the place a person's from does seem to have an effect. Most people I know say Tolkin/ken but the prevalent pronunciation across the pond seems to be Tolkeeyen/Tolkeen. Is that right?

The name itself is of Germanic origin, isn't it? Tol-kayn sounds German but it just doesn't sound right.

As for my friend, I think that was a slip. He was speaking fast and it just came out.

Eruhen, that was similar to my response to Sore-'n, if less zealous. Must watch that movie again, just for the giggles! Remember 'Aruman'?
Old 08-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #11
Bom Tombadillo
Wight

Bom Tombadillo has just left Hobbiton.
Tol-kine, that's it.
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM   #12
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Hahahaha! Well, the place a person's from does seem to have an effect. Most people I know say Tolkin/ken but the prevalent pronunciation across the pond seems to be Tolkeeyen/Tolkeen. Is that right?
I can't say for sure about North America, since the only people that know about Tolkien that I've met are Russian. ( ) I can say that where I'm originally from (which is Russia, and I think that some other European countries near by might also be included) he's known as Tolkeeyen.

Tolkayn sounds like cocaine. Me no like that.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bom Tombadillo View Post
Tol-kine, that's it.
TOLKINE? I am sure that's not the way to say it.
Old 08-10-2011, 12:25 PM   #14
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
I am fairly sure it is Toll-keen though until I heard the radio adaptation I thought it was Tol-key-enn. A good clue is his nickname was Tollers not Tolkers.

However I must admit in my desire to get to the stories I neglected the pronunciation guides and it took a very long time to overwrite Sore-on and Seleborn and even when the blessed BBC version cured those, I am still not a hundred percent on Kir-dan - he was Sir Dan for too long...

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM   #15
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
However I must admit in my desire to get to the stories I neglected the pronunciation guides and it took a very long time to overwrite Sore-on and Seleborn and even when the blessed BBC version cured those, I am still not a hundred percent on Kir-dan - he was Sir Dan for too long...
Hehe... same here. I still have half a mind to say Selegorm, Seleborn, Selebrimbor, Selebrain, etc... Also, I read half of the "ch" sounds as hh and the other half as k. It's Bragollahhhh, but Erek. I don't know why.

Though I don't recall ever reading Sauron as Soron.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:18 PM   #16
Narnangol
Animated Skeleton

Quote:
Though I don't recall ever reading Sauron as Soron.
Me neither. That's why it baffled me all the more when I first heard it.

Once I got my head around the hard C the Cel- names were never a problem, but for me as well, Sir Dan refuses to leave.
Old 08-10-2011, 03:32 PM   #17
Faramir Jones
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Faramir Jones is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien From the 'Letters'

Here's what the Professor said about his surname, in one of his letters of 1955:

My name is TOLKIEN (not -kein). (Letters, Letter 165, p. 218.)

In another letter, of 4-5 June 1971, Tolkien talked about Jewish names, saying that 'We now associate Jewish names largely with German, and with a colloquial Yiddish that is predominantly German in origin'. To that sentence he added this footnote:

Possibly the reason why my surname is now usually misspelt TOLKEIN in spite of all my efforts to correct this - even by my college-, bank-, and lawyer's clerks! My name is Tolkien, anglicized from To(l)kiehn = tollkühn, and came from Saxony in the 18th century. It is not Jewish in origin, though I should consider it an honour if it were. (Ibid., Letter 324, p. 410.)
Faramir Jones is offline   Reply With Quote