The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-03-2007, 09:38 PM   #1
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Aragorn as the Archetypal Hero

For a term paper I decided on that, and shall have for my most basic reference Campbell's Hero with a Thousand Faces. More or less I have a clear idea on how to do it, but a few words from this forum can be of help.

So that said, here I go:

I. Departure

1. The Call to Adventure
The adventure begins with the hero receiving a call to action, such as a threat to the peace of the community, or the hero simply falls into or blunders into it. The call is often announced to the hero by another character who acts as a "herald". The herald, often represented as dark or terrifying and judged evil by the world, may call the character to adventure simply by the crisis of his appearance.

On Aragorn, the adventure begins when he comes of age and Elrond gives him the sword and the ring, and tells him of his true ancestry... all that stuff found in the portion of the appendices dedicated to Aragorn and Arwen.

2. Refusal of the Call
In some stories, the hero initially refuses the call to adventure. When this happens, the hero may suffer somehow, and may eventually choose to answer, or may continue to decline the call.

I do not think Aragorn refused his call to adventure

3. Supernatural Aid
After the hero has accepted the call, he encounters a protective figure (often elderly) who provides special tools and advice for the adventure ahead, such as an amulet or a weapon.

a. Elrond
His foster-father gives him the sword of Elendil, has it reforged for him (I'm doing the book version, not the movie where the sword is reforged only after Arwen going to her dad) and the ring of Felagund.

b. Gandalf
He becomes friend with the raggedy Gandalf the Grey (ooh, the stereotypical old wise man!) and learns much wisdom from him. Later, in the Fellowship, Gandalf gives them his aid in the form of coming with them; in the War Gandalf is physically present.

c. Galadriel
The Elven-lady who gives him her favor and refuge whilst in his being a Ranger and later the FEllowship.

4. The Crossing of the First Threshold
The hero must cross the threshold between the world he is familiar with and that which he is not. Often this involves facing a "threshold guardian", an entity that works to keep all within the protective confines of the world but must be encountered in order to enter the new zone of experience.

Threshold? Being a Ranger, thrust from his beloved Imladris to the duties of guarding borders of the Shire.

5. The Belly of the Whale
The hero, rather than passing a threshold, passes into the new zone by means of rebirth. Appearing to have died by being swallowed or having their flesh scattered, the hero is transformed and becomes ready for the adventure ahead.

No, Aragorn, as much as I know, has not gone to this (it's Gandalf who does)

Chapter II: Initiation

1. The Road of Trials
Once past the threshold, the hero encounters a dream landscape of ambiguous and fluid forms. The hero is challenged to survive a succession of obstacles and, in so doing, amplifies his consciousness. The hero is helped covertly by the supernatural helper or may discover a benign power supporting him in his passage.

Being a Ranger. Need I expound here?

2. The Meeting with the Goddess
The ultimate trial is often represented as a marriage between the hero and a queenlike, or mother-like figure. This represents the hero's mastery of life (represented by the feminine) as well as the totality of what can be known.

Arwen, the daughter of Elrond. He can only marry her when he is king of both Gondor and Arnor--and to be so, defeat Sauron. Incidentally I'll put Gilraen here, saying that it has been her who brought Aragorn as a child to Imladris after his dad's death

3. Woman as the Temptress
His awareness expanded, the hero may fixate on the disunity between truth and his subjective outlook, inherently tainted by the flesh. This is often represented with revulsion or rejection of a female figure.

Eowyn? I'm not very sure. I don't think this comes to Aragorn.

4. Atonement with the Father
The hero reconciles the tyrant and merciful aspects of the father-like authority figure to understand himself as well as this figure.

After triumphing in the War and reclaiming Gondor and Arnor as his kingdoms, he gets Elrond's permission to marry Arwen. But is this really? I have to ask.

5. Apotheosis
The hero's ego is disintegrated in a breakthrough expansion of consciousness. Quite frequently the hero's idea of reality is changed; the hero may find an ability to do new things or to see a larger point of view, allowing the hero to sacrifice himself.

All characters in the story are reminded that though Sauron is gone, their world is not a utopia. Gandalf returns to the West, claiming his job is done, symbolizing that the forces of good and evil are in balance.

6. The Ultimate Boon
The hero is now ready to obtain that which he has set out, an item or new awareness that, once he returns, will benefit the society that he has left.

Aragorn gets to be king of both Gondor and Arnor, and he receives a long lifespan, thrice that of lesser men.

Chapter III: Return

1. Refusal of the Return
Having found bliss and enlightenment in the other world, the hero may not want to return to the ordinary world to bestow the boon onto his fellow man.

Nope, not applicable here.

2. The Magic Flight
When the boon's acquirement (or the hero's return to the world) comes against opposition, a chase or pursuit may ensue before the hero returns.

This is applicable to the four Hobbits, which I do not intend to include in my paper.

3. Rescue from Without
The hero may need to be rescued by forces from the ordinary world. This may be because the hero has refused to return or because he is successfully blocked from returning with the boon. The hero loses his ego.

Nope.

4. The Crossing of the Return Threshold
The hero returns to the world of common day and must accept it as real.

Not this too

5. Master of the Two Worlds
Because of the boon or due to his experience, the hero may now perceive both the divine and human worlds.

Aragorn knows of the world of the High Elves and the Sindara and knows also these are bound to fade now that the Ring is gone. But he does not gain permission in life to sail to the West; only when he dies does his body get on a ship mastered by Legolas, who sails to hte West.

Note that I used language fit for my everyday use but not for my paper. If there's anything missing, or if you can point out any error, please do. Thanks!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 02:26 AM   #2
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
I find this fascinating, since I recognize many of these elements in most of my country's folklore (well, as one would expect). I would like to give my 2 cents, comparing how would Aragorn, the greatest of Men, Frodo, the central hobbit and Sam, the one who Tolkien considers to be the true hero, would do according to this "test":

I. Departure
1. The Call to Adventure
Aragorn: yes
Frodo: yes
Sam: yes

2. Refusal of the Call
Aragorn: no
Sam: no

3. Supernatural Aid

4. The Crossing of the First Threshold

5. The Belly of the Whale
Frodo and Sam: yes, by entering Mordor and Mount Doom

Chapter II: Initiation
1. The Road of Trials

2. The Meeting with the Goddess

3. Woman as the Temptress
Frodo: no

4. Atonement with the Father
Frodo: probably yes – I am thinking of Saruman, who comes to somewhat admiring him

5. Apotheosis

6. The Ultimate Boon

Chapter III: Return
1. Refusal of the Return
Frodo: probably yes, considering the Mount Doom episode

2. The Magic Flight

3. Rescue from Without

4. The Crossing of the Return Threshold
Frodo: yes, even more so than Sam, seeing that he almost made it to the “other side”

5. Master of the Two Worlds
Frodo: probably yes, as he sets out to the immortal lands

Aragorn: 8 (50%)
Frodo: 15 (94%)
Sam: 12 (75%)

I would only add that the temptress might be Galadriel for all of them, seeing that she tests and tempts them with their own desires. This is more the case for Frodo, who is rather tempted, given the circumstances, to pass the ring to her.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:35 PM   #3
Hammerhand
Haunting Spirit

Hammerhand has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Hammerhand
Do you think Eowyn could classify as a temptress to Aragorn?
Old 10-04-2007, 04:04 PM   #4
Raynor
Eagle of the Star

Raynor has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerhand View Post
Do you think Eowyn could classify as a temptress to Aragorn?
Hm, since Lindale already stated her opinion, I presume this question is addressed to me. I agree with her that this is not much the case. If anything, it is the reverse; Eowyn's love for Aragorn tests her feeling of duty and even her love of life. As for Aragorn, he treats her rather sternly, and, as Eomer notes, he is rather oblivious to her feelings. I believe that Galadriel is his temptress, although indirectly so - through her action and not through her feminine self.