The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-28-2005, 01:15 PM   #1
Dûrbelethwen
Haunting Spirit

Dûrbelethwen has just left Hobbiton.
The love of Eärendil

I have noticed that the loves of Lúthien and Beren, Aragorn and Arwen are very much admired on this board for the sacrifices made. It does not seem to be brought up at least very often of the sacrifices Eärendil made for his love of Elwing. I remember it said in the Silmarillion that when they were given a choice as to which kindred they would belong to Elwing wanted to be elven but Eärendil had wanted to be mortal but he choose to be elven for Elwing's sake.
Dûrbelethwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 10:06 AM   #2
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

Yeah, they were a pretty special couple.
Old 07-30-2005, 02:45 AM   #3
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
Maybe the sacrifice that Earendil made is as painful as the ones of Arwen and Luthien, but we, being humans, cannot understand it. If we were Elves, and were able to understand that immortality is a burden, rather than a blessing, then we would probably admire Earendil,and not Luthien and Arwen. But, since we rarely have the mentality of the immortals, and find the fact that we have to die hard to accept, we tend to say: "Wow, Arwen and Luthien, aren't they great! I would have never given up living forever for anyone.", and regard what Earendil did as a thing worthy of less admiration, if any at all.
Old 07-30-2005, 11:04 PM   #4
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
It is strange to think that in our world we would long to grasp immortallity. Personally, I would not want to live forever. But enough about me.

Earendil gave up what may be considered the greatest 'gift' in all of Tolkien's works. That being the Gift of Men, also called the Gift of Death. Men alone are able to cast off the burden of Arda and escape to somewhere else. Giving up that Gift had to be one of the hardest choices Earendil ever made. Perhaps that is why he sailed with the stars for the rest of eternity. Maybe up there he felt closer to his fellow mortals. He must have felt like a stallion kept inside a fence right next to where free-range horses lived. He felt near to his kin, yet he was trapped. That's very sad to think about.
Old 07-31-2005, 07:38 PM   #5
solarisa
Animated Skeleton

solarisa has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

ditto. living forever would be, like: another day. "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!"
i think, even though im (we all) are mortal, just thinking of living forever- earendil's sacrifice seems so much greater. but then he loved her very much. so arwen's decision seems like, so whats that compared to earendil?
Old 08-01-2005, 05:05 PM   #6
Formendacil
Dead Serious

Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Formendacil is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Send a message via AIM to Formendacil Send a message via MSN to Formendacil
One of the really funny things about Earendil's sacrifice, to my mind, is that this comes after years of what can be easily painted as a somewhat lacklustre relationship. Elwing seems to have always taken the backseat to Earendil's love of the sea, and that ever-present hope of his that he would find his parents. That Earendil ends up giving up his desire to be accounted one of Man, and accepts the "curse" of Elvenkind, is, indeed, very interesting...
Old 08-08-2005, 04:33 AM   #7
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I think both of them, Elving and Eärendil, made sacrifices for each other. Eärendil sacrificed his mortality and Elving sacrificed her time with Eärendil as he became a star. Elving also followed him everywhere, only for him, not for herself. So maybe it was right that Eärendil did all the minor choices and Elving did the big choice. And then they were in a kind of sacrifice-choice -balance with each other...?
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote