The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2006, 08:07 PM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Undergraduate research journal in Tolkien Studies

Just wanted to share something I found. I ran across an undergraduate research journal on Tolkien Studies the other day: The Grey Book, Online Journals of Middle-earth They are looking for young contributors. This is the first time I've seen something like this.

I know we have a number of talented posters who attend college and thought some of them might be interested in submitting their own work or volunteering to serve on the editorial board. Kind of an interesting idea if anyone out there has "scholarly" aspirations!
Old 03-16-2006, 03:09 AM   #2
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm quite sure that one of the articles published is the paper presented by a young bloke at Tolkien 2005 - "Satan and The Silmarillion: John Milton’s Angelic Decline in J.R.R. Tolkien’s Melkor" by Zachary Watkins. I might have to dig out the event programme and verify this.

The more Tolkien articles online the better for me, as even though some might be a little 'out there', some of those are the very essays that are the most challenging. And of course, it does give you something to read at work which looks 'worklike'

EDIT: D'oh!

Quote:
Zach Watkins is a proud English major at the University of New Mexico and is scheduled to present his paper on the Miltonic Satan in Tolkien’s The Silmarillion at the Tolkien 2005 Conference in Birmingham, England. Besides harboring a pipedream of becoming a rock star, Zach loves the work of Kurt Vonnegut, Jr., the Star Wars films, peanut M&M’s, and dressing like a true native of the Shire.