The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > The Barrow-Downs
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-10-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Gollumjapyx smeagol

Well, I wasn't quite sure where to put this on the site. We definitely don't have an earlier thread on this so I guess it's an announcement.....

A new insect has been named after the character Gollum. For a copy of the scientific abstract, see here. If you'd like to see Gollum's lineage in the official classification system (kingdom, phyllum, and those details), take a look here.

Spanish scientists discovered the invertebrate insect in the caves of Castellon province. It's apparently of prehistoric origin. Its official name is Gollumjapyx Smeagol. The scientists said they were giving it this name to honor J.R.R. Tolkien (thank goodness, not Peter Jackson! )

The new animal is of exterior origin, but has adapted to permanent living inside caves (just like Gollum). The new invertebrate has all the properties of a subterranean insect: its skin has no pigment. It has large antennae, six feet, and measures two centimeters in length.

According to Vicente Ortuño, who headed the expedition, the first examples of this new species were found some 25 years ago, but the recent investigations have verified the existance of the creature and allowed it to be more precisely classified. . Professor Ortuño added that there was a certain tradition to name subterranean species after mythological characters, "but in this case we referred to modern mythology."

Interesting that this Professor should refer to LotR as "modern mythology". I think JRRT would have been pleased.

Last edited by Child of the 7th Age; 01-10-2007 at 10:00 AM.
Child of the 7th Age is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:06 AM   #2
Mänwe
Shade of Carn Dûm

Mänwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Mänwe
Tolkien

How fascinating, thank you for alerting us to this Child. Caves sure are turning up some new discoveries. I have taken the liberty of aquiring a picture of it;

But six feet long antenna! How very unwieldly for a body size of two centimeters.
- (Letter #124 To Sir Stanley Unwin)

Last edited by Mänwe; 01-10-2007 at 10:13 AM.
Mänwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 10:23 AM   #3
Macalaure
Fading Fëanorion

Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Macalaure is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
There's an amazing amount of animals named after Tolkien's characters. (click on "Names from Other Fictional Characters" and scroll down a bit)

My favourite is clearly a moth called Elachista maglorella.
Macalaure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2007, 01:00 PM   #4
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
quite interesting, especially as Tolkien has his very own category there...
nice to see most of the important characters already received this tribute, and Gollum already had other species named after him
I also liked that perhaps not so well known characters such as Daeron also have been used
Old 01-10-2007, 01:34 PM   #5
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macalaure
There's an amazing amount of animals named after Tolkien's characters. (click on "Names from Other Fictional Characters" and scroll down a bit)

My favourite is clearly a moth called Elachista maglorella.
By gosh and by Gollem, Tolkien even has his own sub-category, the only author to be so recognised!

Of course, a sentimental favourite of mine would have to be Bubogonia bombadili and Protoselene bombadili (Van Valen, 1978) (Paleocene mammals) after Tom Bombadil. And there's even a creature named for the palantiri!

I wonder if I should run off and pen some nonsense verse using bubogonia as a refrain?
Old 01-10-2007, 01:44 PM   #6
Holbytlass
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Holbytlass has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mänwe
But six feet long antenna! How very unwieldly for a body size of two centimeters.
That's where the other insects got the notion that it could turn invisible. When they felt something touch them they turned and no one was there! Since six feet is a very long way when you're only 2 centimeters and in the dark, too.

Thanks Child for the info and thanks Manwe for the picture.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:13 PM   #7
shieldmaiden4xsword
Wight

Location: where people stick out their tongues at their youth pastor....
shieldmaiden4xsword has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to shieldmaiden4xsword Send a message via Yahoo to shieldmaiden4xsword
thanx for the info and picture. That's really really really cool!!!!!

creepy to be touched, and then you turn, and there's nothing there. And then you get poked again, and then you turn, and then you see nothing. And then....

makes you get paranoid after awhile.
shieldmaiden4xsword is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 11:38 AM   #8
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I like some of the logic used behind the names.

Pericompsus bilbo - 'So called because "it was short, fat, and had hairy feet."'

Nice links, all of you. It is remarkable that so many taxonomists, presuming I have not misspelt/misremembered the name of their profession, have such an interest in Tolkien.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2007, 12:54 PM   #9
Dimturiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Dimturiel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via MSN to Dimturiel Send a message via Yahoo to Dimturiel
My, my, we Tolkien fans cannot refrain from referring to his work somehow. I must confess this really made my day. It is wonderful to see people paying Tolkien such a tribute, and thus showing everyone that they acknowledge his worth.
Old 01-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #10
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
You'll note, if you look closely at the picture, the chink of light in it's soul. Clearly, with six foot antennae, it has superior balance and would not fall into a volcano unless it harboured an unconscious wish to do so for some reason...
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote