Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #1121
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Nogrod or Lommy, Javan has addressed Cnebba and Garmund with a wager. I thought you'd like to know so you can have either of them answer as you will.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
we'll try to have one of us doing it soon...
That looks like a nice one Foley!

I could try to give it a go later today if our little recording session for Brinn doesn't take the whole evening.
Old 12-02-2008, 10:46 AM   #1122
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Elempi, there's one problem...and I spotted it Sunday when I wrote my post. Eodwine seems to be away during the dagger throwing (at least, if we go by where your post is positioned right before the competition), and yet, he takes part in it in Firefoot's post.

May I propose that posts be shuffled a bit, somehow?

Cross posted in Nogrod...

Whenever either of you get a chance to post, that's fine! My school week runs from Monday through Wednesday, so until Thursday, I really don't have much time to post in any games.

-- Foley

Last edited by Folwren; 12-02-2008 at 10:51 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:36 PM   #1123
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Rather than shuffling posts, Fea and I can in our next posts for Degas and Eodwine, respectively, simply describe returning to the games just in time for the dagger throwing contest. Make sense?
Old 12-02-2008, 09:40 PM   #1124
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Sure! It makes sense. Sorry if I was sticking my nose into business that wasn't mine.

-- Foley
Old 12-02-2008, 09:43 PM   #1125
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Quote:
Sorry if I was sticking my nose into business that wasn't mine.
Psh. None of that now- I'd just about kill for a few people in my advanced writing class to be more willing to point out potential flaws and errors. I think they're all afraid of me, so I'll know perfectly well something I've written needs work yet nobody will speak up and tell me what I've screwed up.

Critics are downright useful, so please please please don't stop.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #1126
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
Psh. None of that now- I'd just about kill for a few people in my advanced writing class to be more willing to point out potential flaws and errors. I think they're all afraid of me, so I'll know perfectly well something I've written needs work yet nobody will speak up and tell me what I've screwed up.
*Foley trembling in her boots* Ooookay, Mrs. Fea. Sorry for being a trouble by apologizing to be a trouble. I'll keep that in mind.

Quote:
Critics are downright useful, so please please please don't stop.
Yeah, I know, but it can really be troublesome to have someone be a critic when you don't want to be critiqued.
Old 12-02-2008, 09:52 PM   #1127
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Yeah, I know, but it can really be troublesome to have someone be a critic when you don't want to be critiqued.
Haha! Most definitely true. I try to just think about it in terms of either you want to get better or you don't and if you don't want to improve yourself and your skills, you deserve all the criticism you get.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:20 PM   #1128
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
One thing, Groin - Thornden did not help Erbrand up. Others were there before him. He helped Kara down.
What?! why is he doing that? Hands off Thornden, if Erbrand didn't know Thornden would beat him to a pulp he would give that soldier a piece of his mind! I'm going to have to keep my eye on your character Folwren.

Excellent editing with your post Elempi! My hat's off to you and Fea for your work.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:36 PM   #1129
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
My hat's off to you and Fea for your work.
I give him the credit. I've been in meltdown stress mode and wouldn't have come up with dust if he hadn't helped me along with it.

I'm merely concerned Degas will snuff it and Eodwine and Saeryn will need help. Of course I don't intend for him to snuff it, I intend for him to get married and produce little redheads. He needs to learn how to plow a field properly. Boy's been spoiled.

Of course I also don't intend to actually write any of these events, I intend to follow him to the edges of his lands and leave him there with the promise of a future, thence retiring from his story and getting to work on a novel that's been incubating since summer.
Old 12-03-2008, 01:34 PM   #1130
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Nog - would you have time to write the post for the boys? I'm going to be awfully busy this week...
Old 12-03-2008, 02:21 PM   #1131
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Quarterstaff-fight Erbrand, Crabannan, Stigend, Dan, Eodwine, Harreld, Thornden, Garstan, Osmund, Aethelstan, Balvir
Anyone wishing to join one's character here? One more would be nice for then we would have 12 contestants. If no one wishes to enter her/his character in I will use one of the NPC's then.

As we have 12 participants just duelling them would leave us with six going through... and then three... If you do not make loud and reasonable objections I'm going to make the first-round games trio-fights - and only the "last man standing" will advance forwards. On the second round there wil be two duels and then a final.

Also, if someone still wishes to give me a take on her/his character's capabilites, strengths and weaknesses in a quarterstaf fight, please give one. It can be like some have done a numerical judgement of some key stats or just a short verbal description like some others did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Nog - would you have time to write the post for the boys? I'm going to be awfully busy this week...
I'll see to it.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:23 PM   #1132
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I'll see to it.
Thanks.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:24 PM   #1133
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Anyone wishing to join one's character here? One more would be nice for then we would have 12 contestants. If no one wishes to enter her/his character in I will use one of the NPC's then.
If nobody wants to use their character in the fight, if you want to, just add use Lithor. I've been thinking that the day has been pretty boring for him if he doesn't take part in some the activity, after all he is a soldier.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:26 PM   #1134
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
If nobody wants to use their character in the fight, if you want to, just add use Lithor. I've been thinking that the day has been pretty boring for him if he doesn't take part in some the activity, after all he is a soldier.
That's a good idea indeed. Let's make it a deal. If no one voices a wish to bring her/his character forwards in let's say a few days from now I'll use Lithor.
Old 12-03-2008, 02:29 PM   #1135
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Quote:
That's a good idea indeed. Let's make it a deal. If no one voices a wish to bring her/his character forwards in let's say a few days from now I'll use Lithor.
Or if someone wants to bring in their character, we may always have him/her and Lithor and some NPC?
Old 12-03-2008, 03:14 PM   #1136
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I thought of writing the answer to your post Foley but then realised this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley in the actual rpg
“Ha! Did you hear that?” Javan asked, turning with a bright grin toward Cnebba and Garmund. “My brother’s in that! I’ll bet you anything you name that he’ll win!”
So would there be something that Javan owns - and which Garmund and Cnebba might crave for? Would he have something like a very neat dagger / knife, a nice toy, something? I guess both Garmund and Cnebba would have at least some nice toys made by their fathers which they would have to put in risk to counter the bet then...

Or do you think the bet should be immaterial, like "you'll be our servant for a week" or something? That might be fun as well.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:08 PM   #1137
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
What?! why is he doing that? Hands off Thornden, if Erbrand didn't know Thornden would beat him to a pulp he would give that soldier a piece of his mind! I'm going to have to keep my eye on your character Folwren.
Haha! That's funny. Thornden wouldn't beat him to a pulp at all...not even half way there.
As a matter of fact, it would be extremely interesting if you wanted to make a deal out of this and have Erbrand say something. I think it could be fun.
But, really, Thornden was just being a gentleman like he always is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
So would there be something that Javan owns - and which Garmund and Cnebba might crave for? Would he have something like a very neat dagger / knife, a nice toy, something? I guess both Garmund and Cnebba would have at least some nice toys made by their fathers which they would have to put in risk to counter the bet then...

Or do you think the bet should be immaterial, like "you'll be our servant for a week" or something? That might be fun as well.
Oh, I have no idea. The only posession that Javan has that either of them would want would possibly be a knife of some sort (if he's allowed to have one). He owns really very little. He has his horse, but that may be a bit extreme, and I guess he might be said to own his own bow, but the boys probably have their own, too.

The idea of the servant for a week (or whatever else you come up with) sounds interesting and fun. Either that or the knife, I guess. Or if you come up with some other toy or something, then do it. I'll probably be happy with whatever you come up with.

This make reading the game and seeing how Thornden does even more interesting for me!

-- Foley
Old 12-03-2008, 06:16 PM   #1138
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Haha! That's funny. Thornden wouldn't beat him to a pulp at all...not even half way there.
As a matter of fact, it would be extremely interesting if you wanted to make a deal out of this and have Erbrand say something. I think it could be fun.
But, really, Thornden was just being a gentleman like he always is.
That might not be a bad idea, Folwren. Just like with Crabannan, Erbrand can get overly defensive with Thornden. I think I'll run with that idea, thanks Folwren!
Old 12-03-2008, 08:40 PM   #1139
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Cool! Are you going to edit your post again, or write another one?

This should be fun!
Old 12-04-2008, 10:52 AM   #1140
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil View Post
thence retiring from his story and getting to work on a novel that's been incubating since summer.
You simply MUST let me read some of that when you have it written. I LOVE reading new stuff and also (watch out) LOVE offering advice and encouragement.

Sorry to rain on your game, Noggie, but the three way quarterstaff fight seems unworkable to me. I suggest a play-in round by non-soldiers and less experienced soldiers instead. Up to you, of course.
Old 12-04-2008, 10:58 AM   #1141
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
You simply MUST let me read some of that when you have it written. I LOVE reading new stuff and also (watch out) LOVE offering advice and encouragement.
Hm. I'll have to remember that if I ever write one of my incubating novels.

Quote:
Sorry to rain on your game, Noggie, but the three way quarterstaff fight seems unworkable to me. I suggest a play-in round by non-soldiers and less experienced soldiers instead. Up to you, of course.
It definitely would be interesting, Nogrod, but something savage, I would guess. Just think...two decide to take one out, so they're fighting him, and then one gets more caught up in the fight than the other, and the other who is not really fighting at all, decides to put out his short-term ally...

I can picture it in my mind but I can't put it on paper. It just seems like a whole arena for treason and back whacking (opposed to back stabbing, you know )

-- Foley
Old 12-04-2008, 12:12 PM   #1142
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Hm... Perhaps I should send you the pieces of unfinished projects I've been ignoring for a while and you can give me ideas on how to finish them.
Old 12-04-2008, 01:31 PM   #1143
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Cool! Are you going to edit your post again, or write another one?

This should be fun!
I think write another one, hopefully by tonight!
Old 12-04-2008, 03:37 PM   #1144
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Foley, I have made the younger boys to answer Javan's bet.

Feel free to make Javan bargain a better deal for him.
(btw. the discrepancy is intentional: Cnebba suggested Javan would be a slave for a week but Garmund raised it to two as he knew they were negotiating there... Feel free to hit on that fex.)

I'm probably able to send the first rounds of the quarterstaff-fight on Sunday. So you'll all have time at least until then to post for things before the fight.

Last edited by Nogrod; 12-04-2008 at 03:42 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 07:19 PM   #1145
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Groin, I've noticed that about 50% of the time, you spell my character's name "Crabanna" rather than "Crabannan." You might want to look into it.
Old 12-04-2008, 08:05 PM   #1146
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gwathagor View Post
Groin, I've noticed that about 50% of the time, you spell my character's name "Crabanna" rather than "Crabannan." You might want to look into it.
Why is that? Anyway, the mistake is corrected Gwathago!
Old 12-04-2008, 09:31 PM   #1147
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Groin...that was absolutely hilarious... I had to have Thornden laugh at least once or twice, because I was laughing myself. Quite an awkward, hilarious situation. Oh dear me. Have him answer however you will, I am really open to any sort of scene you want to make out of this.

Nogrod, I have posted for Javan.

-- Foley

Last edited by Folwren; 12-04-2008 at 09:48 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 10:43 AM   #1148
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hope this isn't too late.

Harreld is a little out of his element in the quarterstaff fight. He's a tradesman, not an warrior. Whereas his dexterity is above average, he has little experience with a quarterstaff, so does not know tricks and moves. It will all be instinct for him, which means he's at a disadvantage. His strength will not help him much.

Eodwine is a soldier by profession and has had training in quarterstaff. He is above average in dexterity, but not much. Quarterstaff is not something he keeps in practice with, but he knows the skills. He might be perhaps a half step slower than the young guys due to his age.
Old 12-05-2008, 11:20 AM   #1149
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Groin...that was absolutely hilarious... I had to have Thornden laugh at least once or twice, because I was laughing myself. Quite an awkward, hilarious situation. Oh dear me. Have him answer however you will, I am really open to any sort of scene you want to make out of this.
I thought about Erbrand resorting to physical violence but that would be carrying it too far. I've got my response up for Erbrand, he's behaving quite selfishly so feel free to respond in whatever way you deem fit! Thornden is handling this quite well so far, let's see if he can keep his cool for long.
Old 12-05-2008, 12:12 PM   #1150
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Haha! I am really getting a kick out of this one.

Thornden's kept his cool, mostly. I have doubt about Erbrand, though, unless he listens up. People could have an unexpected competition on their hands, wot wot? And Eodwine's gone, which makes it even more humorous because no one's really there to stop it (I mean, they can, and should, if it escalates to a fight, but no one of authority is there). But he's due back any moment.
Yes, indeed, this could be very interesting. *grins and rubs hands together with gleeful anticipation*

And, by the way, you left the 'n' off of Crabbannan again.

-- Foley
Old 12-05-2008, 12:33 PM   #1151
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Whoa, you sure told me off, Folwren, what a post! I'm going to have to think about Erbrand's response, I want it to be justified, however slight that might be, in his eyes on why he confronted Thornden. This is so much fun, I'll be back with a response as soon as I come up with one.

Quote:
And, by the way, you left the 'n' off of Crabbannan again.
I'll never learn!
Old 12-05-2008, 01:34 PM   #1152
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Whoa, you sure told me off, Folwren, what a post! I'm going to have to think about Erbrand's response, I want it to be justified, however slight that might be, in his eyes on why he confronted Thornden. This is so much fun, I'll be back with a response as soon as I come up with one.
Yeah, sorry about that. Just remember - Thornden told Erbrand off, I didn't do so to you. I often take my character's stuff personally, too, so I may understand what you're feeling.

But it is fun.
Old 12-05-2008, 03:43 PM   #1153
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Oh, Groin and Foley, you're being incredibly funny. But I must admit I'm on Thornden's side...
Old 12-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #1154
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Aww come on, Erbrand's all het up after his fight. His blood is boiling and then another man seems to be making moves on 'his' woman? I'd hate it but I'd understand it.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:03 PM   #1155
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

lol. I'm glad to see we're amusing people.

I guess I kind of see Erbrand's side, but I'm still fully on Thornden's side and believe firmly in what I had him last say.

Looking with excitement to Groin's next post....
Old 12-05-2008, 05:13 PM   #1156
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
And Eodwine's gone, which makes it even more humorous because no one's really there to stop it (I mean, they can, and should, if it escalates to a fight, but no one of authority is there). But he's due back any moment.
On the contrary, Eodwine and Degas have been back since before the dagger throwing contest; they just haven't said or done much. Eodwine is not far, and he will take action if and when he chooses to.

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 12-05-2008 at 05:19 PM.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:15 PM   #1157
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
On the contrary, Eodwine and Degas have been back since before the dagger throwing contest; they just haven't said or done much. Eodwine is not far, and he will take action if and when he chooses to.
Oh. I didn't realize that. Okay, that's alright.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:18 PM   #1158
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Regardless, Thornden is Eodwine's second command and therefore IS AN AUTHORITY in Scarburg. Erbrand should by now know this, and should also know that (even he forgets for the moment ) that to pick a fight with Thornden is tantamount to insubordination, and therefore punishable as the Eorl sees fit.
Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM   #1159
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Regardless, Thornden is Eodwine's second command and therefore IS AN AUTHORITY in Scarburg. Erbrand should by now know this, and should also know that (even he forgets for the moment ) that to pick a fight with Thornden is tantamount to insubordination, and therefore punishable as the Eorl sees fit.
Elempi! Don't scare 'im! I'd be fine if it were me, 'cause I'd go ahead and have my character do my worst just to see what would happen. (You know the whole deal about curiosity killing the cat?) But I don't know about Groin...he might be more timid than I.
Old 12-06-2008, 07:09 AM   #1160
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I think Groin's confident enough to have Erbrand do what fits Erbrand's character. Besides, Eodwine doesn't run a "police state". This is a pretty easy going group of people in general, and Eodwine likes it that way.

I personally would be interested for Groin to reveal how Erbrand became such a broken person. I mean, someone that capable and strong, so lacking in basic confidence! This guy's history would be an interesting thing to learn about. (hint hint)

Incidentally, seems like Saeryn's been pretty quiet lately. Wouldn't mind reading some of her refreshing personality at work. hint hint