The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Quiz Room
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 05-06-2019, 01:42 PM   #2601
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Wrestler kinda makes me think of Finrod, but the rest of the verse doesn't make a lot of sense to me.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 PM   #2602
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Maybe this hint will help: All three individuals referenced would play an important role during the Final Battle and the aftermath of it.

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 07:40 PM   #2603
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
In that case the Wrestler must be Tulkas, who also fights Morgoth before Turin kills him.

The Breaker... hmm. The breaking of the Silmarils comes to mind, and reading up on it Yavanna does the act, but it's Feanor who pays the cost, so one of those two perhaps.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:26 AM   #2604
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
In that case the Wrestler must be Tulkas, who also fights Morgoth before Turin kills him.

The Breaker... hmm. The breaking of the Silmarils comes to mind, and reading up on it Yavanna does the act, but it's Feanor who pays the cost, so one of those two perhaps.
Yes, Tulkas, Turin and Feanor.

Last edited by Urwen; 05-07-2019 at 04:26 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 07:35 AM   #2605
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Yes, Tulkas, Turin and Feanor.
Cheers!

Try this one:

Fool are you to make your shot:
You revealed yourself to foes.
Fool am I to make my shot:
I revealed the secret bridge.
My shot you took from where it fell.
You'll get no thanks though you did well.
So which of us the bigger fool?
Old 05-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #2606
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

How about this?

Fool are you to make your shot:
You revealed yourself to foes. - Turin put on the Dragon Helm, thus revealing himself to Morgoth
Fool am I to make my shot:
I revealed the secret bridge. - Mablung, who revealed the Bridge of Esgalduin to Morwen and Nienor, and by doing so, allowed their doom to find them both (plus Turin)
My shot you took from where it fell. - and Turin, who is responsible for its destruction,
You'll get no thanks though you did well. - and who, in spite of killing Glaurung, can't receive any real thanks for obvious reasons
So which of us the bigger fool?

Last edited by Urwen; 05-07-2019 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-07-2019, 08:26 AM   #2607
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

That's a pretty thorough explanation, but unfortunately not the right one.
Old 05-07-2019, 09:34 AM   #2608
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

No clarifications/hints this time around?

Old 05-07-2019, 10:39 AM   #2609
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
No clarifications/hints this time around?
After your first guess? There will be, but try at least once more. If you don't have other ideas, I'm happy to give some hints.
Old 05-07-2019, 10:43 AM   #2610
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, there are only so many bridges, so unless a bridge isn't really a bridge, I am bound to get it right eventually.

Old 05-07-2019, 10:45 AM   #2611
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I think most of the lines still refer to Turin, but the 'bridge' one refers to Androg......

Old 05-07-2019, 11:04 AM   #2612
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Gandalf called Pippin a fool when he revealed the Fellowship in Moria, and then he revealed the existence and the location of the Moria's bridge to them.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:17 PM   #2613
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I think most of the lines still refer to Turin, but the 'bridge' one refers to Androg......
Turin is not either of the characters.

Quote:
Gandalf called Pippin a fool when he revealed the Fellowship in Moria, and then he revealed the existence and the location of the Moria's bridge to them.
You're thinking along the right lines here.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:31 PM   #2614
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Even with that, I can solve only half the riddle, and the shot part still mystifies me even after rereading the scene.

Old 05-07-2019, 01:46 PM   #2615
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Even with that, I can solve only half the riddle, and the shot part still mystifies me even after rereading the scene.
There are two people, with two shots, and two revelations. Your earlier post alluded to one of the parts described by the riddle; the rest comes from a different scene.

Edit: to help guide you, your post #2612 was half right and half wrong. Part of it is very much on track but part of it is irrelevant.

Last edited by Galadriel55; 05-07-2019 at 01:50 PM.
Galadriel55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2019, 02:09 PM   #2616
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

If it's not Pippin, then it must be Frodo, who revealed himself by putting on the Ring.

Old 05-07-2019, 02:43 PM   #2617
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
If it's not Pippin, then it must be Frodo, who revealed himself by putting on the Ring.
It's not Frodo.

Also, read my responses carefully, as I think you might be misinterpreting them and veering off track again.
Old 05-07-2019, 02:51 PM   #2618
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Wait, when you said I got one of the characters right, you meant Pippin rather than Gandalf, in which case, the bridge isn't one in Moria?

Old 05-07-2019, 03:01 PM   #2619
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Maybe Aragorn, who lead them across the bridge, and Pippin, who revealed them to the enemy.....

Old 05-07-2019, 03:13 PM   #2620
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

You have correctly identified Pippin in Moria as one of the characters/events, though you haven't quite tied in all the bits together (btw, do you know which one, "I" or "you"? This may help you find the second one).

Remember that the second person is also a fool of sorts, and I don't think Aragorn could be called that, definitely not in the Bridge of Khazad-dum passages you refer to.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:26 PM   #2621
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

I think Pippin is 'I', because there is no mention of him revealing a bridge.

Unless you mean that his actions prompted Gandalf to hurry and reach the bridge, in which case, he would be 'you'.

Which further proves my theory that it could be Denethor, who tried to burn his own son alive.....

Last edited by Urwen; 05-07-2019 at 03:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:32 PM   #2622
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Umm... read the riddle carefully. You're confusing who does what. I'm not saying you're right or wrong, but "I" is the one linked with revealing a bridge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen
The Elven-Brooch comes to mind, but that still points to Aragorn, for he picked it up.
Ditto. You're doing the right thing, thinking of incidences where "you" and "I" could interact in a "taking the shot from where it fell". But first figure out which end of the interaction Pippin is on, which goes back to the above part.

Quote:
Or it could be Denethor, who tried to burn his own son alive.....
I am a little confused by where this came from, but it's not the answer.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM   #2623
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:

Unless you mean that his actions prompted Gandalf to hurry and reach the bridge, in which case, he would be 'you'.

Which further proves my theory that it could be Denethor, who tried to burn his own son alive.....
Just saw this edited version. Still confused about why you think Denethor. Still urge you to read the riddle carefully and map out what you know about "you" and "I", cause you seem to be jumping between them within the first statement.

Let's see if you can trace the second person back from what you already know. It might help you to get the exact details that are relevant to Pippin's part in the story (e.g. what is his shot? What was revealed?); once you have that straight it will be easier to place him into a I/you role, and thus make it easier to solve the remaining one.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:38 PM   #2624
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
I edited my post to include this:

Better?
See above, I replied to your edit.

Still not hitting the answer, and I'm not sure how you conclude Denethor from that so I can't comment on your thought process there.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM   #2625
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, if Pippin is I, then he revealed the bridge. But who did he meet that revealed themselves to the enemy.

Then again, if I am right......

Well, one of your hints said that it wasn't Aragorn during the Moria scene. You never said it isn't Aragorn, period. Therefore, it could be that 'you' is Aragorn, who revealed himself to Sauron.

If Pippin is 'you', then he revealed the Fellowship's location to the enemy, but that still leaves the problem of who revealed the bridge.....

Old 05-07-2019, 03:51 PM   #2626
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, if Pippin is I, then he revealed the bridge. But who did he meet that revealed themselves to the enemy.

Then again, if I am right......

Well, one of your hints said that it wasn't Aragorn during the Moria scene. You never said it isn't Aragorn, period. Therefore, it could be that 'you' is Aragorn, who revealed himself to Sauron.

If Pippin is 'you', then he revealed the Fellowship's location to the enemy, but that still leaves the problem of who revealed the bridge.....
You're thinking the right way, just not the right events. Some points to help your thinking:
1. It's not Aragorn, period. (but that's a great example that I haven't thought of! Kudos for coming up with that!)
2. As far as I am concerned, Pippin did not reveal the bridge of Moria. So don't use that point to determine his role and connection.
3. You did allude to something else related to Pippin that will be more useful to you.
Old 05-07-2019, 03:58 PM   #2627
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

So then, the 'I' character is connected to the Elven brooch. And the only characters connected to it are Galadriel, Merry, and the Three Hunters.

You also said that the other characters is considered a 'fool' of sorts, and Merry revealed the existence of Brandywine bridge.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:04 PM   #2628
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
So then, the 'I' character is connected to the Elven brooch. And the only characters connected to it are Galadriel, Merry, and the Three Hunters.
That's not the post I was thinking of. Read back to what you posted before. You did not name the event outright but you alluded to it.

Quote:
You also said that the other characters is considered a 'fool' of sorts, and Merry revealed the existence of Brandywine bridge.
Well, Merry did some foolish things, but his foolishness is not connected to the Brandywine Bridge.

I was holding off on saying this, thinking that you'd figure it out, but I think you deserve this for your efforts. Don't fixate on the bridge. You won't be able to name it even if you search the maps for all the bridges. It will become clear when you match the right people and events, but you will not be able to find it by elimination. So, I guess my suggestion is, don't work forward from the bridge; look through your Pippin posts and work forward from him, and the bridge detail will fall in place last.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:14 PM   #2629
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, the things I alluded to were that he revealed the Fellowship, that he dropped the Elven Brooch and that he was called a fool by Gandalf.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:16 PM   #2630
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, the things I alluded to were that he revealed the Fellowship, that he dropped the Elven Brooch and that he was called a fool by Gandalf.
Yes. Think about that.

Maybe consider the details around these events. Like, you're still missing the "shot" element. Which of these events can satisfy that line?
Old 05-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #2631
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Well, the closest I could think of is when he threw the rock into the well.

Wait, something just occurred to me. Let's see whether I am on the right track here and not merely confusing the events in the book with those in the movie.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #2632
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Well, the closest I could think of is when he threw the rock into the well.

Wait, something just occurred to me. Let's see whether I am on the right track here and not merely confusing the events in the book with those in the movie.
Ok, I'll wait with replying to that to see what was the lightbulb that went off just now.

(Or can answer regarding your first point now if you wish )
Old 05-07-2019, 04:23 PM   #2633
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Just as I thought. The stone throws. In which case, 'I' would be Boromir.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:27 PM   #2634
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Just as I thought. The stone throws. In which case, 'I' would be Boromir.
Ohhh, another good example, but sadly not the one in the riddle. A very well-fitting one with the foolish shot (except for the last bit where the interaction occurs).

I can, however, confirm you are correct with Pippin and the incident at the well.

So, can you now place Pippin as either "you" or "I" definitively, given the added info you now have? Then carefully read the interaction between the characters - how do they intersect. And you will find the other one.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:29 PM   #2635
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Pippin is 'you'.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:31 PM   #2636
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Pippin is 'you'.
Ok.

Now, how can you connect Pippin to these lines?
My shot you took from where it fell.
You'll get no thanks though you did well.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:35 PM   #2637
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

There wer sounds that were heard from down below, after the rock fell into the water. My guess is that those sounds were made by 'I' character.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:41 PM   #2638
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Therefore, 'I' is Gollum.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:42 PM   #2639
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Not Gollum.

As I said before, there are two different shots made by two different people in different events. There is a factor that ties them together, and it's in the lines I pointed out to you.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:45 PM   #2640
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

That was the last lead I had.

ETA: Wait. I was mistaken. Pippin is you, meaning nobody took his shot, he took someone else.

In which case, 'I' is Grima, who literally threw the Palantir that Pippin took.

Last edited by Urwen; 05-07-2019 at 04:48 PM.