Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-30-2011, 08:49 PM   #3241
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Firefoot! *hugs*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate/Hilderinc
Lovers can be driven to do the most irrational things. He chased the thought away.
Squee! I am going to be reading all of your posts very carefully from now on; I am on the edge of my seat to find out more about Hilderinc's past!

And I just finished reading a book that has a great deal to do with 'lovers being driven to do the most irrational things'...no, no, it's not that kind of book, it's got swords and battles and magic in it, too, I swear... And reincarnation! (Daggerspell, first of the Deverry series, highly recommended)
Old 07-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #3242
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin View Post
Squee! I am going to be reading all of your posts very carefully from now on; I am on the edge of my seat to find out more about Hilderinc's past!
*facepalm*

Okay, nice to see people liking it - you shall see, you shall see... it's not anything that big, however... or, maybe it is...

Anyway, I really like it how lively it starts to become nowadays, the only bad thing is now that I am going to be away for about a week and actually even later during the summer my participation will be rather here-and-there from time to time, randomly, as sometimes I will be in places without internet access. But anyway, I will try my best to participate - just it might be a bit more messy. And just saying so that until next Saturday you should not count on Hilderinc participating in anything major (but I can, of course, write stuff later from Hilderinc's perspective if something happens and such).
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Old 07-01-2011, 01:02 PM   #3243
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
*facepalm*
I am going to be away for about a week and actually even later during the summer my participation will be rather here-and-there from time to time, randomly, as sometimes I will be in places without internet access.
No problem. Rowenna can wait as long as necessary to play "hard to get".
Old 07-01-2011, 02:25 PM   #3244
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Hey! I was going to write them riding into the courtyard, and then realized I had no idea what the scene would be like.

Will people be out to meet them? I know no one knows that Eodwine was that near and therefore is now there, but will someone see them? Where will Leof be at that point? Will everyone come out of the hall, or just a few people?

I'd write it from my own imagination, but too many other characters are potentially involved.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:02 PM   #3245
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leof would probably be hanging out nearby just inside the stable, listening for them to come back so he could come out to greet them when they arrived.
Old 07-01-2011, 09:52 PM   #3246
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
We're going to have to wait for Nogrod to post a description of Scarburg before we can proceed.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #3247
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
He did post, Elempi, in the post that makes the time leap.

-- Foley
Old 07-02-2011, 12:33 PM   #3248
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Welcome back, Firefoot!

Quote:
Lovers can be driven to do the most irrational things.
I can recall Randvér thinking something like "Love makes fools out of even the wisest people" seeing Eodwine right before the wedding. Rand and Hilderinc might just get along well.

Quote:
Coen’s brow creased in a combination of confusion and consternation.
Beautiful alliteration, Durelin.

Before someone scolds me for cheering from the bleachers instead of getting down to the field, I intend to post something soon. Just waiting for Eodwine & co. to arrive in the hall. I'm excited to have Rowenna back (though I'm not so sure Ginna shares my excitement ).
Old 07-02-2011, 06:03 PM   #3249
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Yay! Firefoot and Lhuna and Durelin all in our midst again! I am excited!

I took your hint, Lhuna, and went ahead and posted, bringing them into the courtyard. I dislike the post, but at least they've arrived.

-- Foley
Old 07-03-2011, 03:18 PM   #3250
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Foley, I put a bunch of words in Saeryn's mouth. Please check them and let me know if and how you want any of them changed.
Old 07-04-2011, 01:33 PM   #3251
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Posted. Yes, I know this doesn't settle anything. Nevertheless, Eodwine felt that it was important for him to do it.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:24 PM   #3252
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Great to see things moving again!

Let me know if there is anything wrong with Athanar and Saeryn helping Eodwine to his feet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lmp
We're going to have to wait for Nogrod to post a description of Scarburg before we can proceed.
I thought I did that already in my "jump-post", but admittedly it's not too detailed - even if I tried to kind of explain what has been done in respect to from where we started back then a long time ago.

We need to check that, yes.
Old 07-04-2011, 03:32 PM   #3253
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Heh. I just edited the ending of my post after I realised of course all Eodwine's belonging would be stored somewhere at the Mead Hall (except those Saeryn would have wished to treasure in her chamber as pieces of her husband always with her).
Old 07-04-2011, 05:13 PM   #3254
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi! Did some alien take control of you momentarilly? You posted out of character on the game thread!!!!
Old 07-04-2011, 05:20 PM   #3255
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

I love this stuff.

Nice post, Noggie! No time to post right now, but Eodwine's response will most likely be up by the end of tomorrow.

Oops. That has happened before. Okay, it's in the right place this time. Thanks for the heads up Foley.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:32 AM   #3256
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I just posted a co-post that Elempi and I wrote together.

-- Foley
Old 07-06-2011, 02:33 PM   #3257
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Hah! I love the way people can make their characters interpret situations in so many ways outside any scope I have or could have...

How is it possible some people write novels on their own without all these totally un-thought-of view-points? Well, maybe that's why great novelists are great when they can do all that alone?

But yes, I'm enjoying all this totally odd interpretation! This is the stuff great stories are told from...

It is great people post from totally different POV's and misunderstand each other's character's intentions, but we should pay heed to the "facts" anyway - however loosely we'll need to define the word 'fact' here.

I have one thing I'd just like to make notice, and it is in the last post where you write as follows:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeryn
Where do you expect a family like Stigend and Modtryth with their son, or Garstan with his two little ones, to go in the midst of winter?
They have no reason to fear for their place or to be uncertain - or to feel unwanted. On the contrary, lord Athanar has a high respect to his craftsmen - he even allowed one more of the old craftmen to be called for if you have forgotten.

Lord Athanar has a great respect for professionals and he is very much happy with the bunch he has there at the Mead Hall, and he has treated them with full respect thinking they are now his men whom he cares and respects. He might have his views about the plans as he is a little bit of an aesthete / architect himself and he will see his will to be done in a tight place - but he is also willing to listen to the professionals and change his plans accordingly.

So I think there should be no fear in the craftsmen that their stature was pending or otherwise insecure at the Mead Hall - not all of them, none, need to like lord Athanar, but none of them should feel insecure or left alone or threathened. No way.

It's okay for me if Saeryn has no knowledge or understanding of how things stand in relation to Athanar and the craftsmen and she speaks just off the truth from her totally misguided understanding of the situation, but if you Foley think Saeryn should be cognizant of how things go around the Mead Hall you might like to edit that part.

Up to you Foley, well up to Saeryn...

EDIT: I think I actually said in a post a long time ago that Athanar brought forwards no craftsmen of his own as he was told by king Eomer there were excellent hands at the Mead Hall already... enough for any renovation project.

EDIT2: It just hit me... actully Athanar bringing forth just one master craftsman with him might make a nice possibility for play along the craftsmen... There has been no mention of that person thus far but there has been little posting about the craftsmen anyway, so we could add that one there for sure? Anyone interested in taking that role?

Last edited by Nogrod; 07-06-2011 at 02:44 PM.
Old 07-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #3258
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

lol...Nogrod, I think Saeryn's line there was more in reference to Eodwine saying, "They could've left if they'd wanted to, like Lithor and Erbrand did." And she was more like, "No, they can't. This is their home, even if they don't like the eorl, they have to stay." And both she and I were thinking of the kids, not of the father's profession.

I think that in reality, Athanar is doing a fine job as an eorl. Saeryn just has hard feelings about Athanar taking her husband's place, and about Lithor. Apparently she has trouble letting things go.

It'll be interesting to see how Thornden is thinking at this time. I guess I should start deciding on that, shouldn't I?

And, per some comments that Elempi made, I am going to re-vise the ending of that last post a little. I'll let you know when those edits are made.

-- Foley
Old 07-06-2011, 05:39 PM   #3259
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
And, per some comments that Elempi made, I am going to re-vise the ending of that last post a little. I'll let you know when those edits are made.

-- Foley
I only picked two nits. Honest!
Old 07-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #3260
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet View Post
I only picked two nits. Honest!
It's not a problem, imp, as you well know.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:50 PM   #3261
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Elempi! We've never heard from Garreth since he arrived at the Mead Hall.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:49 PM   #3262
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, I edited my post.

-- Foley
Old 07-07-2011, 03:44 AM   #3263
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lhunardawen View Post
Elempi! We've never heard from Garreth since he arrived at the Mead Hall.
Thanks for the reminder. I'm afraid my participation will be spotty at best over the next few days. Traveling.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:20 PM   #3264
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

I think it's better lord Athanar was somewhere else when Saeryn and Eodwine came back downstairs...
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #3265
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
I think it's better lord Athanar was somewhere else when Saeryn and Eodwine came back downstairs...
Ha! You think? I wonder if Saeryn would even have said that if he were present...

-- Foley
Old 07-07-2011, 04:26 PM   #3266
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Ha! You think? I wonder if Saeryn would even have said that if he were present...
I know... And even after Athanar had promised to leave everything to Saeryn's child when the time comes (before there was any hope of Eodwine coming back to life)... if king Eomer was willing, that is.

Thus are the righteous rewarded, with scorn and scheming... If I were not a kind of feminist myself in RL, I'd say something about the mind of a woman here...

But storywise, I love these stubborn characters. What drama would there be if everyone was considerate, good-hearted, reasonable and honourable?
Old 07-07-2011, 04:58 PM   #3267
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod View Post
Thus are the righteous rewarded, with scorn and scheming... If I were not a kind of feminist myself in RL, I'd say something about the mind of a woman here...
There is definitely something to be said about the mind of a woman. lol.

Quote:
But storywise, I love these stubborn characters. What drama would there be if everyone was considerate, good-hearted, reasonable and honourable?
I like what this is insinuating about Saeryn's character...

As I've told Elempi, to be honest, I'm really disliking Saeryn right now. She's just not being very likeable. And poor Eodwine, come back sick and weak and all...doesn't get a moment's rest. I had no idea she'd make such a contentious wife. "Better to sleep on a corner on a roof than to share a house with a quarrelsome wife." I don't know what proverb that is, but it's there. *sigh*
Old 07-07-2011, 05:06 PM   #3268
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
She's just not being very likeable. And poor Eodwine, come back sick and weak and all...doesn't get a moment's rest. I had no idea she'd make such a contentious wife. "Better to sleep on a corner on a roof than to share a house with a quarrelsome wife." I don't know what proverb that is, but it's there. *sigh*

I have been reading the Game of Thrones lately and Saeryn surely feels a bit like Cersei Lannister... well not that bad, but something near enough to provoke the comparison.

But I do wonder if she was like that before? Interesting "psycho-dynamics" here how seeing Eodwine makes her that hysteric... well, you know some pregnant women can be a bit moody...
Old 07-07-2011, 08:40 PM   #3269
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Nogrod! What are you trying to do? Get Athanar eaten alive??

I am working on something right now, but once I get it finished, I may be able to post again this evening.

-- Foley
Old 07-07-2011, 09:02 PM   #3270
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Quote:
Nogrod! What are you trying to do? Get Athanar eaten alive??
I do think Saeryn is a strong-willed persona who can do a lot, but she will not be cabable of eating Athanar - he's too old and experienced to be bullied that way... Actually if Saeryn gets mad he would just order her to go to her room - and then report to Eodwine...

Don't forget that Athanar has seen the world and is not starter to life's little wonders like pregnancies and what they can do to people. He will, if pressed to the edge, treat Saeryn like a child, but hopefully that is not required.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:08 PM   #3271
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Athanar treating her like a child after Eodwine did would probably push Saeryn over the edge and she'd murder someone. Not really....lol....I don't know what to do. For the sake of interest, I'm tempted to do something beyond just her saying, "Nothing, sir. I'm fine," and going into her room. But that's more realistic.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:56 AM   #3272
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Lhuna and I prepared posts at the same time, and hers needed to go ahead of mine, so she messaged it to me and I put hers at the beginning of mine.

By the way, Eegads! What has happened to Saeryn?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:02 AM   #3273
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

I don't know about Elempi, but I found the coincidence delightfully funny.
Quote:
By the way, Eegads! What has happened to Saeryn?
I could ask exactly the same thing. If I were Athanar I'd probably have her in a straitjacket.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:12 AM   #3274
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

The scary thing is that Saeryn has not merely stated her opinion to Athanar, but her intention. If he sees the smallest whiff of her trying to make good on her threat, what then?
Old 07-08-2011, 10:49 AM   #3275
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Mwahahaha. I love it.

I don't know exactly what's gotten into Saeryn, I just know I enjoy writing in order to provoke the best reactons from other writers.

I actually think what's happened is that she's pent up her feelings of being wronged for, what, a month? And she expected things to be set right when Eodwine returned...and since her expected relief turned out not to be a relief at all, her disapointment cannot being held back, and all her frustration is coming out.

-- Foley
Old 07-08-2011, 10:56 AM   #3276
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

I would like writing with Thornden again. Is there anybody in the great hall with whom he can interact? Legate, Lommy, Durelin, and Nogrod probably have characters out there. Any takers?

Firefoot, if you like, I imagine you can bring Leof into the hall, too.

-- Foley
Old 07-08-2011, 04:17 PM   #3277
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Lord Athanar will treat Saeryn as someone who has just flipped; the pregnancy (it can drive some women crazy), the stress, the fears, the hopes... And he has some confidence in Eodwine being a decent and reasonable person.

So he will not relate what she said to him there in public (aka. he will not talk about it to anyone in public), but he will be a bit troubled by it, saddened and confused (as he thought him promising the place to their child was an offer more generous anyone could have reasonably hoped for - even if he had his own reasons to exit the Mead Hall in fifteen years or so in the first place; but those reasons he has not shared with anyone) and in a fatherly way, he is much worried about her.

Heh, one more thing Athanar and Eodwine should speak on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foley
I would like writing with Thornden again. Is there anybody in the great hall with whom he can interact? Legate, Lommy, Durelin, and Nogrod probably have characters out there. Any takers?
I think lmp's last post is screaming for Thornden to meet Eodwine... and it would be good for those two to meet both in the "believability section" and in the "how things will shape up -section"...
Old 07-08-2011, 04:56 PM   #3278
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

I've been on vacation for the last week... didn't expect this would take off so quickly. I doubt I'll be able to post before Monday (my cousin's getting married tomorrow and then there's a long drive back on Sunday), but definitely by then I'll get something up. I think it's time to figure out what Scyld's been up to lately, as well... quietly observing things in the background, I imagine.
Old 07-09-2011, 08:19 AM   #3279
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firefoot View Post
I think it's time to figure out what Scyld's been up to lately, as well... quietly observing things in the background, I imagine.
Anything "Scyld" is eagerly anticipated.

Firefoot, has Scyld revealed himself to Scarburgians yet? I'm thinking not, but could be wrong. ???

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 07-09-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 07-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #3280
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Nope... he's still Nydfara to them. And the only other person who knows anything (Erbrand, I think) is gone.