The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2003, 02:50 PM   #41
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Oh my, an old "favorite" thread was lurking in the depths of this forum! I'm sending it over to join the others on the Novices and Newcomers forum. You may continue to read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 02:56 PM   #42
Yavanna228
Shade of Carn Dûm

Yavanna228 has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

Oh wow. Ok, this is an incomplete list!
Beren- His courage and endurance are an inspiration, and the force of love that drove him is incredible.
Fingolfin- For being Fingolfin! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] His bravery and willingness to co-operate with the sons of Feanor was exemplary.
Yavanna- What can I say? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I love nature, and I like her(Yavanna's) attributes.
Maedhros- His attempt to redress some of the wrongs of Feanor and his being bound by the oath make him a very tragic character and one of my favourites.

Peace
Old 07-02-2003, 01:44 PM   #43
Firiel Eledhwen

Silmaril

Hello, I can't find the topic I was on before so I'll just join this one if no one minds. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
I love all the Eldar and Edain in the Silmarillion even some of the bad ones at times. I call them the bad ones because they sometimes caused or did great wrong in their time, like Eol Maeglin and Feanor, but their still great all the same.
Beren is, maybe, the greatist Elf friend ever, and Earendil the most beloved!
I'ts so hard to chose my faverate Elf, Melien, Luthien, Thingol, Turgon, Maedhros...
The list is endless.
And of Men...
Hurin, Turin, Nienor, Morwen, Tuor...
Old 07-02-2003, 04:24 PM   #44
Rumil
Sage & Onions

Rumil has been trapped in the Barrow!
Sting

Definitely Fingolfin for me,

when I was reading the Sil his fight to the death with Morgoth was the part that most affected me. Although he had flaws (as did all the exiled Noldor), his willingness to go one-on-one versus what is basically a minor god shows immense bravery.
Old 07-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #45
Cúdae
Wight

Cúdae has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Cúdae
Sting

I told myself I wouldn't join this thread, but alas, here I am. Because no one mentioned my favorite! My vote goes to Caranthir. Not sure why, not sure I want to know why. After that comes Feanor followed closely by Maedhros and bringing up the rear would be Mandos.

Looking back on this list, I don't think I want to know why I like any of them...
Old 07-03-2003, 09:16 AM   #46
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Feanor. Anything revolving around the Silmarils fascinates me. Their part in history makes a wonderful story.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:57 AM   #47
Linaewen

Sting

Beleg Cúthalion has always impressed me with his loyalty and bravery. I also highly admire Finrod Felagund for all that he did- especially sacrificing his life.
Old 07-04-2003, 11:03 AM   #48
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It's absolutely Melkor.How could the greatest of all except Eru not be the one?Basically,if it wasn't for him there wouldn't have been much of a story in ME. I must say I did not really enjoy the Silm like I did LotR or The Hobbit because all these Elves don't interest me that much. They're a bit too fanciful and one-dimensional to me as you can't really name one completely evil Elf or evil deed by an Elf.

[ July 04, 2003: Message edited by: Noxomanus ]
Old 07-04-2003, 07:10 PM   #49
peonydeepdelver
Shade of Carn Dûm

peonydeepdelver has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to peonydeepdelver
Shield

Ooh! My absolute number one favorite Silmarillion character of all time is... *drumroll please...*

Huan! Yay! I'm a huge dog lover, and I was glad that in at least one of Tolkien's works there was a dog who had a major role in one of his legends.

Oh, and Maedhros is a close second, just because he became a better swordsman with his left hand than when he used his right hand. That must have taken a lot of patience and determination to do that.
"Nazgul, Nazgul! You speak of what is deep beyond the reach of your muddy dreams, Ugluk! Nazgul! Ah! All that they make out! One day you'll wish that you had not said that. Ape! You ought to know that they're the apple of the Great Eye." ~Grishnakh
peonydeepdelver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2003, 11:17 AM   #50
Firiel Eledhwen

Sting

Quote:
Beleg Cúthalion has always impressed me with his loyalty and bravery. I also highly admire Finrod Felagund for all that he did- especially sacrificing his life.
I agree.
Beleg is great also and of cause Felagund.
Beleg because he's such a good friend for Turin, always there to help him out and other like Gwindor and Turin's outlaw band.
Felagund was loyal to the memory of Barahir and would defend Berin from Sauron's warewolves with nought bit his hands and teath! I think that bit of Elf magic he used to dicise them all as Orcs was very cleaver.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:39 AM   #51
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

With me its a tie between Beleg and Maedhros. Both were so tragic. Also, both were elves, so they were hot, and wise, and all that other elvish stuff.
Old 07-18-2003, 06:06 AM   #52
Liriodendron
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Liriodendron has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I cottoned to Eol. An elf who had some "human" qualities...a sulky, crabby elf! [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] I could actually relate to this guy! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-19-2003, 12:06 AM   #53
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Location: an uncounted length of steps--floating between air molecules
Lyta_Underhill has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I've got to say I've got this fascination with both Fëanor and Maedhros, his son. Fëanor intrigues me, because his legacy endures throughout the Three Ages, his works permeate the mystery of Middle Earth and Valinor alike; he captured the light of the Two Trees, created the Palantiri and the Lamps of Fëanor (light bulbs?) [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Also the Fëanorian alphabet. What couldn't this elf do? And I'm certain he put all of himself into his creations...he seems to be the embodiment of the Realization of Art--its externalization in purest form; but, alas, we all know how he was marred, and I think this must have somehow been in the design of Eru, for it is a great fall, but one that seems inherent in the nature of one who is filled with a gemlike inner flame.

And of all his sons, I felt for Maedhros and Maglor most keenly, as they seemed to have a strong pull to the good, despite an oath taken in an evil haste. Maedhros was most reconciled to the other houses, and seemed the most torn in two over the precipitating Oath of Fëanor. I also have an inexplicable "thing" for him! :P

Also, it is good to see other Huan fans here! I LOVE the Wolf of Valinor! And Beren and Luthien! Beren was clear of mind and purpose, full of a pure love for Luthien, and she filled with the same for Beren. It is a beautiful thing, for they took it to its end and back again, real examples for us all!

I am ambivalent towards Turin Turambar and will have to read more about him (have the account in the UT to read soon!) before I make final judgement. Ah, but no judgement is ever final in my eyes...there are so many HoME books I haven't read, and I'll probably seek them out to the extent that they cover the topic of Fëanor!

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Lyta_Underhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #54
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I liked all of the Vala. But Beren and Luthien are probably at the top because they are so courageous and so in love with each other, that Luthien gave up her immortality for the one she loved. Sorry, I'm getting all mushy, but it's sooooooo SWEET!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 07-20-2003, 01:36 AM   #55
Elen Ilúvitauri
Pile O'Bones

Elen Ilúvitauri has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Feanor all the way.... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Tommy, SNATCH'S answer to Pippin.
Elen Ilúvitauri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2003, 09:15 AM   #56
Lord of Angmar
Tyrannus Incorporalis

Lord of Angmar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am inclined to say that my favorite Silmarillion character is Brodda the Easterling.

Just kidding, of course. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

The tale of Beren and Luthien has always moved me the most, but I do not identify with either of their characters as much as with others. Luthien is too beautiful, too powerful, too surreal for me to feel a real connexion with her.

I would have to say that the characters that I was most intrigued by were Finrod Felagund, Fingolfin and Thingol. Thingol was always the most perplexing character, I could never really tell what he was thinking or how wise he really was... just a few thoughts...
Old 07-22-2003, 01:51 PM   #57
Firiel Eledhwen

Silmaril

The only thing I can say is that I love all Eldar and Edain, there are far to many to dicide which is truly the very best in all of Arda and all of time. I also love the Valar, most of the Dwarves and many of the animals (Huan, the Eagles, the horses...)
Quote:
Maedhros was most reconciled to the other houses, and seemed the most torn in two over the precipitating Oath of Fëanor.
Maedhros certinly had a good and decent heart, he was loyal to friendship as well as, sadly, the oath that brought many so much suffering.
If only he and Maglor had droped the whole buisness with the forfilling of the oath and the taking of the Silmarils, then maybe he would not have died. [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Old 07-22-2003, 02:14 PM   #58
Frodo2968thewhite
Haunting Spirit

Frodo2968thewhite has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Frodo2968thewhite
Ring

Feanor
Iluvatar
Barahir
Beren
Tuor
Earendil
Curumo
Old 07-24-2003, 12:27 PM   #59
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Silmaril

How come no one has ever mentioned Húrin in this thread? For me, he was the greatest human hero in the first age.
He was so loyal and valiant. Think of defying Morgoth to his face and withstanding him for so many years! Especially after reading U.T, where his character is much more closely drawn, I took a great liking to him. But I can't get over the heartbreaking injustice of his fate! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Finrod Felagund is my favourite elf in the 1st age.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:50 PM   #60
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Pipe

Turin Turambar is my favorite. Probably this is because I thought his story was the most beautiful and tragic in all of The Silmarillion.

I also liked Beren and Hurin, Beren because of his story, and Hurin for the same reasons as Guinivere.

Swan song,
-Menelien
Old 07-24-2003, 01:53 PM   #61
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Huge congrats to myself for finally beginning to read the Silmarillion, after swearing I wouldn't. Congrats to all you guys for cracking me [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

I'm only onto Chapter 4, but so far my favourite characters are Aule, Yavanna, and Melkor. Yavanna is a wonderful character and I feel so sorry for her. All her beautiful creations were constantly being destroyed.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:03 AM   #62
The

Sting

greetings...new here but hardly new to tolkien...

While there are SO many awesome characters i could talk about i have to say that my FAVORITE character would have to be TURIN.
i love the story of Turin, so dark and tragic and just AWESOME! i mean people talk about Romeo and Juliet being tragic, romeo never had to find out JUliet was actually his amnesiac sister! i loved turambar from the first time i read the story and i love him even more now that i've read the unfinished tales...all that extra stuff about his childhood...how cute he was as a child, why did so much bad have to happen to him?!
my short at the moment and i cannot adequately put into words why or how much i LOVE Turin. but turin is just so bad (what woman doesn't love the bad ones?)and yet so good...and undeniably cool!
Old 08-10-2003, 04:19 PM   #63
Novberaid
Animated Skeleton

Novberaid has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

It has to be Feanor. Where would the Silmarillion be without him?
Old 08-10-2003, 04:32 PM   #64
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
It has to be Feanor. Where would the Silmarillion be without him?
Well said, Novberaid! No Fëanor, no Silmarils! No Fëanor, no palantiri! No Fëanor, no Celebrimbor, and no Great Rings! (Unless, of course, someone ELSE succumbed to the charm of Annatar...) But it was appropriate to give it to the descendent of Fëanor...so in character!

On that thread, why is it that there is only ONE descendent of Fëanor? Or are there some I haven't read about yet? I suppose we could make some up! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
“…she laid herself to rest upon Cerin Amroth; and there is her green grave, until the world is changed, and all the days of her life are utterly forgotten by men that come after, and elanor and niphredil bloom no more east of the Sea.”
Old 08-12-2003, 06:57 PM   #65
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Nice choices, guys.
I too like Earendil - Tolkien is a master at personifying his characters.
The Beren-and-Luthien-Tale is romantic. I love the way Luthien is described.
Will I be slain if I said that Melkor is my favorite? [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img] ... anyway, he's not.
Old 08-25-2003, 02:32 AM   #66
Ughósh the Abominable
Pile O'Bones

Ughósh the Abominable has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Ughósh the Abominable
Sting

I'd have to say that of all the Silmarillion characters, my absolute favorite, without question, is Turin Turambar, son of Hurin, Mormegil, Bane of Glaurung.

If he wasn't the greatest warrior ever known to the race of Men, then at least he was the son of the guy who was. Turin was just sweet; there's no two ways about it. Just the thought of a guy who wins renown as the Black Sword of Nargothrond causes waves of awesome to wash over me. He's also one of the few warriors renowned in tales as the slayer of a dragon. And which dragon did he slay? Only the Father of All Dragons, Glaurung the Golden!

Yes, his story was tragic; but it was beautiful for its tragedy. The First Age was an age of sorrow, and Turin was simply caught up in that. Yet in his life of sorrow, he did great deeds despite his despair, even if the deeds themselves were done only in desperation or vengeance. That adds sort of a Dark Knight element to his character that I find extremely sexy.

In all, I find Turin to be a very human character: tormented, chased by his own doom, and suffering his most bitter grief in the very hour of his greatest triumph. So yeah, like I said: Bloodstained son of Ill-Fate all the way.
Old 08-25-2003, 06:48 AM   #67
BlingBlingtheWarriorElf
Newly Deceased

BlingBlingtheWarriorElf has just left Hobbiton.
Eye

Luthien and Gil-galad are my favorites, I just like them for some reason.
Old 08-26-2003, 12:55 AM   #68
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
Yes, his story was tragic; but it was beautiful for its tragedy. The First Age was an age of sorrow, and Turin was simply caught up in that.
I can sympathize with those who like Turin; however, I have a lot of trouble with him. I know it isn't logical, but what if he had just listened and gone to rescue Finduilas? I know we're omniscient and poor Turin isn't; but I also took exception to his co-opting the running of Nargothrond and laying it bare to the eyes of Morgoth. This also is not logical, for who can hide a realm forever? Nargothrond seemed kind of ghost-townish for me after Finrod left anyway.

Speaking of Finrod, I re-read of his death recently and I wondered if there is a good illustration of this scene? I would love to see an all-out teeth-chomping fight between the fairest of the Noldor and a werewolf! It is just so elemental! "On the Circuit, he was known as Mad Dog Felagund..." [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] See, I DO like others besides Fëanor and Maedhros! But always for odd reasons! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta

[ August 26, 2003: Message edited by: Lyta_Underhill ]
Old 08-26-2003, 01:01 PM   #69
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

@ Lyta: here is a beautiful picture of Finrod's death. (Though not of his fight with the werewolves...) The picture is by Anke Eiszmann. I love her Tolkien Illustrations!web page
Old 08-26-2003, 02:04 PM   #70
Estanesse
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Estanesse has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

My all-time favourite character is Turin, a true warrior.
Old 09-04-2003, 11:47 AM   #71
Rick

Sting

I really like Beren. His courage in fighting a Valar, Morgoth, for True Love [that sounds like The Princess Bride [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]] was awesome.

Rick
Old 09-04-2003, 03:11 PM   #72
Sillabub
Wight

Sillabub has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I liked Nienor (Niniel), Nienna, Elwe (the young valar that represents healing etc.) and Luthien. Also finrod. He's just...finrod.
Old 09-25-2003, 10:18 PM   #73
Noldorin King
Animated Skeleton

Noldorin King has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Fingolfin, of course...the strongest, the most steadfast, and the most valiant of the sons of Finwe, and therefore the mightiest of the Eldar...Yeah, wasn't he the one who gave Morgoth seven great wounds? that just says that he alone of the Children of Iluvatar had the strength to defy the heavy blows of the greatest of the Ainur and by this deed his house won the dark Lord's fear;"But the Dark Lord was not yet content for Gondolin had again escaped his grasp and Turgon was now by right king of all the Noldor. He hated the House of Fingolfin and above all he feared Turgon for since their days in Valinor a fire was in his eyes that tells of him will come the one that would bring him ruin, and also because of the great wounds that Fingolfin gave him,"(After the Nirnaeth when Gondolin, alone of the Elven Kingdoms of Beleriand, was not yet betrayed) not the exact words but that's all i can recall...Well, i like Fingolfin also because of him came the blessed one who would destroy Morgoth...next on my list is Finrod, then Feanor, Faramir, Finduilas, and Turin...
Noldorin King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2003, 11:06 PM   #74
Lyta_Underhill
Haunted Halfling

Sting

Quote:
Lyta: here is a beautiful picture of Finrod's death. (Though not of his fight with the werewolves...)
I haven't been to this thread in awhile, but I wanted to thank you, Guinevere for the link to the pic of Finrod's death...it always makes me sad to read of it, the fairest of the Noldor dying in a dark dungeon, but not before he had spent himself completely in Beren's defense. What an Elf! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Cheers,
Lyta
Old 05-09-2010, 09:34 AM   #75
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Her.That's all I have to say
Attached Images
File Type: jpg matka-chodu_kolor_0.thumbnail.jpg (3.2 KB, 467 views)

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 09:41 AM   #76
Nerwen
Wisest of the Noldor

Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Nerwen is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Send a message via Skype™ to Nerwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by Urwen View Post
Her.That's all I have to say
This... seems not to be a picture of Lalaith.

*dies of shock*
Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM   #77
Urwen
Spirit of Nen Lalaith

Urwen has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Nay,it's Aredhel...

I am suffering from Maeglinomaniacal Maeglinophilia.
Urwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:10 AM   #78
Lainadann
Newly Deceased

Lainadann has just left Hobbiton.
Thumbs up

Couldn't possibly choose. One of my favorite moments in the book is when Fingolfin challenges Morgoth to single combat (seems to be a few peoples choice) so I would have to go with Fingolfin for the sake of answering the question. I find his bravery and despair very moving.
Lainadann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:37 AM   #79
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ooh. A resurrected thread!

Beleg Strongbow will forever be my favourite Sil character! He was so noble and kind, and he was awesome with a bow. What more could you want?
Old 06-21-2010, 08:55 AM   #80
Mnemosyne
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Mnemosyne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Mnemosyne Send a message via Yahoo to Mnemosyne
Finrod. One of the few elves who was never a jerk.