The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2006, 08:19 AM   #601
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
Shire moment...

Working on ATM posts at 1:45 in the morning while munching on Rice Krispies Treats, sipping milk and playing with kitty. More generally, all of the fun things that help unwind after getting home from a busy night on second shift go to the Shire.
Old 05-29-2006, 09:48 AM   #602
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farael
Men In Kilts... no, while you ladies may have a strong interest in men wearing what amounts as a skirt, what I'm most interested on is a band by that name (in which, obviously, the men on the band wear kilts). Best band ever.
Thanks for the reminder to do this:

I assign to the Shire the best, absolute best, free Festival of the Arts in all of the States, happening his coming weekend in Grand Rapids, MI. Seven stages, starts Friday noon and doesn't end until Sunday 7pm. Folk, rock, jazz, classical, dance, improv, et cetera. and there is a Fife and Drum band too! I will not be missing it. Oh! And great food! Booths and booths of food, international fare and American. Philly Beef Steak Sandwiches. English Pasties. Suvlaki. Szechwan Chicken. You name it, we got it. Come on to my home town and enjoy! There's still time to plan. And PM me if you show up; we'll arrange to see some shows.

Festival Link

Take a peek!
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 09:57 AM   #603
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
Philly Beef Steak Sandwiches.
Ah - the cheesesteak! Best ones are found at this little place I know just outside Philly...

Festival looks like great fun.
Old 05-29-2006, 11:10 AM   #604
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Despite the fact that the mix of sunshine and showers is making the hedges and lawns grow like weeds and the weeds grow like triffids.... the garden brings more joy than grief. Now after bluebells and lilacs ...the first roses have arrived. The very first being on the "mystery" rosebush. I bought it as a "Winchester Cathedral" and it should be cream... however it is the most glorious pink and an "old fashioned" sort..... lovely. Clearly belongs in the Shire.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2006, 11:24 AM   #605
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
What's a cheesesteak? It sounds lardy, but good!

I'm also assigning gardening things to the Shire, namely finding interesting plant variations, like the double headed acid pink busy Lizzies and the variegated blue/lilac lobelias I've been putting out, which I imagine Rosie Cotton and all Hobbit lasses might have loved. I also assign Pinks and wallflowers because they smell wonderful and are so old fashioned. And hanging baskets, too. But I assign slug pellets to Mordor with the snails because I've had to resort to them to keep the infestation under control and I hate it because they don't die in a pleasant way and it makes me feel guilty.

And I assign getting excited about holidays because I'll be on mine this time next week. Woo-hoo!
Old 05-29-2006, 02:18 PM   #606
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Well having had yet another attack on the patio with the weed knife I am beginning to doubt my commitment to pesticide free gardening but I do miraculously have hostas that aren't entirely lacework. But much as I hate slugs I do not use slug pellets - I don't mind the slugs dying nastily it is the poor hedgepigs dying nastily from eating pelleted slugs. You can get hedgehog friendly alternatives....

Old 05-29-2006, 02:34 PM   #607
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
1420!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal
But I assign slug pellets to Mordor with the snails because I've had to resort to them to keep the infestation under control and I hate it because they don't die in a pleasant way and it makes me feel guilty.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mith
Well having had yet another attack on the patio with the weed knife I am beginning to doubt my commitment to pesticide free gardening but I do miraculously have hostas that aren't entirely lacework. But much as I hate slugs I do not use slug pellets - I don't mind the slugs dying nastily it is the poor hedgepigs dying nastily from eating pelleted slugs. You can get hedgehog friendly alternatives....
Well, I think a favourite alternative here would fit quite well in The Shire. Rather than using slug bait, we use small little basins, with rounded depressions on the sides. We fill them with beer, and leave a top (which usually has some kind of garden design on it--leaves, vines, etc.) on them. Slugs slither in for the beer and the rest is history.

I shan't start listing flowers that I think belong in The Shire for that likely will appeal to you t'other side o' ta pond types as a cliched English cottage garden. Besides, I would have to include turnips and taters and 'shrooms and lots of good root veggies.
Old 05-29-2006, 02:49 PM   #608
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë
What's a cheesesteak? It sounds lardy, but good!
The cheesesteak is an icon of Philadelphia lardy cooking. You take a long roll and put thin sliced grilled beef on it, preferably dripping with grease. Then it's topped with cheese or
Cheese Whiz. Some claim that the true cheesesteak requires Whiz, but I prefer American cheese. Then you can top it with onions and other vegetables.

Tasty!
Old 05-30-2006, 02:36 AM   #609
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I don't mind weeding, mainly as I have such a small garden there are never many of them, so weedkiller is never an option for me. But in the past I relied on my resident garden toad to kill the snails but I think she has passed on to Toad heaven now. There have been no all night toad shrieks in the mating season, no signs of spawn or eggs. It's quite sad. I doubt hedgehogs would make it into my garden what with the fortress of my next door neighbour and his fifteen kids to get past on one side and a 15 foot drop into the other side of the garden.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
The cheesesteak is an icon of Philadelphia lardy cooking. You take a long roll and put thin sliced grilled beef on it, preferably dripping with grease. Then it's topped with cheese or
Cheese Whiz. Some claim that the true cheesesteak requires Whiz, but I prefer American cheese. Then you can top it with onions and other vegetables.

Tasty!
That sounds fantastically greasy! But kind of nice, too. I remember something like Cheez Whiz in the 80s, a kind of cheddar spread in a jar which my father used to be obsessed with (especially in a sandwich with crisps and peanut butter) but then they stopped selling it. Is Philadelphia Cheese (the lovely mild, low fat cream cheese) anything to do with the City or just an invention of the marketing folk?

Anyway, I assign to the Shire the glorious anachronism that is The Queen's Birthday, a 'bank holiday' we are entitled to take today or on another day if we wish. I am in work and there are only 4 of us here, and its lovely and quiet and I was able to get second breakfast with no wait. What's more, seeing as about 95% of the department are off my e-mail box is being untroubled, as is my phone. It also means I can have my day off when the kids are back at school.
Old 05-30-2006, 05:59 AM   #610
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Philadelphia Cream Cheese is a brand thing. I found the history here. Sort of interesting...

Cream cheese is good.
Old 05-30-2006, 08:51 AM   #611
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign summer and all that comes with it.

Weekend escapes to the country wherein an entire afternoon is spent in child-like fascination with traversing camera-laden up a small creek with sides and fields overgrown with wildflowers. Common dandelions, yellow hawkweed, blue violets, ground ivy, garlic mustard, buttercups, periwinkle, forget-me-nots, lily-of-the-valley, wild strawberries, wild phlox...

The bittersweet realization that my first year of college is over in 24 hours.

Vegemite and didgeridoos and a late night learning willingly about the intricacies of Australian government and discovering that apparently emus can't walk backwards, that my friends don't know their southern hemispherical constellations, and that we're all growing up no matter how hard I deny that I am.

Ice cold water that sweats and drips chillingly.

Being truly warm for the first time in months. Cute shoes and mini-skirts and a lot of sunscreen.

Finishing a short story and knowing that with one or two more revisions, it will be Done.

Cleaning. What? Me? A college kid that assigns cleaning to... the Shire? Certainly. I assign any activity that not only helps me to procrastinate on finishing a final that I'm, technically speaking, skiving class to work on, but allows me to obsess in a very productive manner. I've always liked cleaning, come to think of it. It's excellent "me time" wherein I can devote a load of time to merely pondering things while still feeling like I'm accomplishing things. So yes... yay for cleaning.

Ooh, the feeling of unlimited potential that comes from switching life up a bit for a few months. I like it. Go summer!
Old 05-30-2006, 08:24 PM   #612
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
My Calculus prof telling me that I can come to him anytime next term to make up for my finals. I can finally exploit the few remaining days of my summer break!

Also, eating sweet stuff and drinking a watermelon shake in full sight of my mum who looks at me with an annoyed grin because I am just recovering from pharyngitis.

Last edited by Lhunardawen; 05-30-2006 at 08:34 PM.
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 01:59 AM   #613
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Old movies. Like Casablanca, Wait Until Dark, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Bugsy (Taloula Smooching ), The Wizard of Oz, The Sound of Music and The Godfather

Also good Britcoms like Fawlty Towers, Some Mothers Do Have 'em, 'Allo 'Allo, Black Adder, Porridge and of course Red Dwarf.

That deserves a place in the Shire!
________
Ford Mustang Ssp Picture

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 07:11 AM   #614
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Escapism.
Old 05-31-2006, 02:32 PM   #615
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

the guy who be short has just left Hobbiton.
I send mnemonics and memory aids, as well as Lhunardawen.
You see, whilst stalking her, I came across an amusing blog entry. It ran as follows:

Work done = force x distance
Force = m*** x acceleration
Therefore, Work = mad

As amusing as it may appear, it's all actually very helpful. Before this, I couldn't remember what the equation for work was. Now it's simple. Thank you my nutty friend.

Edit: Apparently mass is a forbidden word as the m is bolded. Which makes me wonder what would happen if I wished to spark a discussion on the role of donkeys in LotR.
the guy who be short is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 03:03 PM   #616
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Oh, that reminded me of an equasion I saw online a while back...let's see if I can remember it...

...found it.

I'll send it to the Shire, because I laughed uproriously even though I am a girl.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg girls=evil.jpg (23.8 KB, 589 views)

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 01:16 AM   #617
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Now you create a problem, tgwbs. You've already sent me to Mordor.

Oddwen, that's hilarious! Especially the root of evil part... But I'm sure it has always been a well-known fact that girls are evil. Or maybe that's just me.

There's also proof that time is the root of evil, but it's less sensible.

time = gold
gold = money
money = root of evil
time = root of evil QED

I end this crazy post by assigning general craziness.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:51 AM   #618
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

The seaside.

Not just the sea, the waves crashing up on the rocks or rolling in across the strand, though this is the main attraction. It's also the salt in the air so your hair gets tangled and you can taste it all the time. Gulls screaming their heads off. The smell of chips and fish everywhere, and then eating it out of newspaper in the open air. Fresh shellfish, sold in the pubs, and in little white trays from stalls by the harbour. Boats everywhere - fishing boats, old lifeboats, yachts, tall ships. 100 different flavours of ice cream. Deckchairs with stripey cloth and bleached wood and bright beach huts in neat rows. Shops selling buckets, spades and pirate flags. Folk singers in the pub. Clean air and bright light. Looking up the tide tables and listening to the shipping forecast. Seal watching. Wondering what lies just over the horizon.

What's more, we're going. Tomorrow!
Old 06-02-2006, 08:57 AM   #619
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

The flaw in that equation, Oddy, is that Girls require time AND money. This would means

Girls = Time + Money,

not

Girls = Time x Money as stated.

Which really ruins the rest of the equation.
Old 06-02-2006, 10:04 PM   #620
Orominuialwen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Umbar, but before the corsairs took over. (Ave Maria University, FL, USA)
Orominuialwen has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by the guy who be short
The flaw in that equation, Oddy, is that Girls require time AND money. This would means

Girls = Time + Money,

not

Girls = Time x Money as stated.

Which really ruins the rest of the equation.
My brother brought this up. See, girls don't just require one lump sum of money, they need it frequently to purchase books and musical instruments and clothing and pay their library fines (at least in my case, clothing is probably the most infrequent way I spend money). So you see, the longer the period of time you spend around her, the more money she will require.

I think that might've made sense, but I'm not so sure.
Old 06-03-2006, 02:05 PM   #621
Eonwe
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eonwe has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I assign the good kind of cops, that are not out to screw you, but to teach you a lesson that you will never forget. Suffice to say, I won't be speeding any time soon.

Buildin' dams.

A new work schedule that starts at nine instead of seven. Yay for sleeping in!

That's about it for now.
Eonwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 04:17 AM   #622
Elonve
Wight

Elonve has just left Hobbiton.
Dancing in the moonlight.
________
Cheap Crosman Airsoft Air Magazine Powered

Last edited by Elonve; 04-09-2011 at 06:18 PM.
Elonve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2006, 11:14 AM   #623
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
The following question in my Italian reading exam:

What compliment is paid to the service offered by Turin?

I grinned and added an acute accent. I resisted, however, the temptation to write "Well, it's said to be pretty reliable if you need to kill Orcs."
Old 06-05-2006, 12:16 PM   #624
ninja91
Shade of Carn Dûm

ninja91 has just left Hobbiton.
Truly, nature needs to be preserved. I assign that and manga to the Shire.
The rider was robed all in black, and black was his lofty helm; yet this was no Ringwraith but a living man. The Lieutenant of the Tower of Barad-dûr he was, and his name is remembered in no tale; for he himself had forgotten it...
ninja91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2006, 05:49 PM   #625
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Home, and the ideal place to live.
Old 06-07-2006, 07:24 AM   #626
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Friends who let you copy up half their notes because yours have mysteriously disappeared since this time last year.

Teachers who willingly give up their whole morning to teach you an entire course in 3 hours.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:54 AM   #627
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I assign logging on to The Downs after a long week. It's been too long for me, and I'm enjoying catching up on all the RPG's.

I also assign some other anonymous reputations. I am grateful

- Tara
Taralphiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 09:54 AM   #628
the guy who be short
Shadowed Prince

Barbeques. And scorching heat. Mmm, scorchy.
Old 06-10-2006, 10:34 AM   #629
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Tolkien the last one, I promise.

Rejoining The Barrow-Downs

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:40 AM   #630
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne
Rejoining The Barrow-Downs
Comebacks and warm welcomes. They always make me feel happy.
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 11:46 AM   #631
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

My local pub declaring itself a football free zone - bliss...... swimming in a near empty pool on a hot day - bliss

Old 06-10-2006, 12:27 PM   #632
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

When a town's only record shop is staunchly independent and only stocks folk, world and obscure indie/alt stuff. And the owner sits there contentedly smoking roll ups and listening to good music. That's cool.

Also, wading through water to get to a part of a quayside that nobody else can get to because they don't want to get their feet wet and finding clear blue water on the other side and sitting there with your feet in the water whilst having a smoke or four.

Proper old fashioned tea shops with waitresses in little hats, serving trays of sandwiches, pots of tea and cream cakes and lots of strawberry tarts to be scoffed.
Old 06-10-2006, 12:46 PM   #633
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Putting on a bathing suit and dancing around in the rain and splashing in puddles. I had so much fun last night.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 01:24 PM   #634
Kath
Everlasting Whiteness

Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Kath is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via MSN to Kath
Summer!

Going to the park with friends and laying around sunbathing and chatting about anything and everything before playing a game of very improvised rounders and a disastrous attempt at frisbee (none of us can catch!).

Then heading over to the children's playground and messing around to our hearts content.

And all because of a bit of sun. Marvellous
Old 06-10-2006, 03:07 PM   #635
Anguirel
Byronic Brand

Anguirel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Callas. Callas. Callas.

Except perhaps she'd prefer Mordor...
Old 06-10-2006, 03:26 PM   #636
Roa_Aoife
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Roa_Aoife is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Waking up to see a rainbow on your wall.

Having an adorably precocious four year old girl lacth onto you for an entire day by the pool.

Getting fought over by two six year old boys yelling, "No, you're in love with her!" "No, you are!"

Having interesting problems with the drive through at McDonald's:

"I'd like two small cokes..."

"One small coke?"

"No, two small cokes..."

"Three small cokes?"

"No! Two small cokes!"

"Oh, okay, two small cokes..."

I didn't say you're evil, Roa, I said you're exasperating. -Nerwen
Roa_Aoife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2006, 04:02 PM   #637
Alcarillo
Shadow of the Past

Alcarillo has just left Hobbiton.
Getting out of school an hour early thanks to a clerical error.
Alcarillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2006, 12:51 PM   #638
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Gin and tonic. The only thing to drink in weather like this. I'd been looking forward to mine for the last hour and a half. *sips, sighs*
Old 06-13-2006, 08:54 AM   #639
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I assign the scent of warm weather in CNY: cut grass and road work with tar burning your nostrils even as dust dries your throat. While hobbits may not like paved roads, presumably they like sunlight and light warm breezes and the persistent smell of lilacs that should already be past prime but apparently aren't.

And I assign finally having a proper diagnosis of my shoulder and a set plan for what to do about it.
Old 06-13-2006, 10:07 PM   #640
Encaitare
Bittersweet Symphony

Encaitare is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Really nifty gathered-satin gloves with lace that comes to a point on the hand and hooks around the middle finger... they make me feel like a sexy movie!Grima.
Encaitare is offline   Reply With Quote