The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2008, 12:26 PM   #2321
Volo
Silver in My Silent Heart

Volo has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Skype™ to Volo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalaith View Post
I assign guitar solos, as we are on the subject. I have no problem with guitars, men, women or goats playing guitars....but solos are tiresome in the extreme.
Most, not all. They're risky that way, although not objectively bad.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:38 PM   #2322
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Volo View Post
Most, not all. They're risky that way, although not objectively bad.
A bit like fantasy books

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:10 PM   #2323
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Mindless, conscience-lacking fundamentalism. In all its forms.
A thing that makes even otherwise good people just empty machines without thinking, and if they are to talk, they see just blindly their point and do not wish to allow anything else, just because it would shake their views and opinions, which stand on the grounds too weak to support them actually.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2008, 06:12 PM   #2324
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Yes.
Old 11-13-2008, 07:28 AM   #2325
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Mistakes that result in my discomfort. My school keeps mistaking my apartment for the one across the hall and yesterday they unnecessarily replaced my showerhead (which was amazing, and could be set to different levels of intensity, and which was my favorite part of my apartment).

And it's not just that they took away my amazing showerhead, they replaced it with one that has only one setting-

And that one single setting feels like being sprayed with boiling sleet! It hurts!

Not happy. No not happy at all.
Old 11-13-2008, 08:06 AM   #2326
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morthoron View Post
Ah, but there is a an unforseen benefit to playing guitar (other than as a magnet for the opposite sex): you get calluses on your fingertips, which is really important for the macho putting-out-lit-candles-with-your-fingers ploy. I have never been hurt once.
Well if you play stringed instruments you are bound to get those... but all my years of playing my violin, I've never calloused any of my fingers. Nor have my mom, who taught me the violin basics, nor any other violinist I know.

Oh and that candlething ploy, even if your hand is nice and soft and aristocratic, if you do it really fast, it won't hurt.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #2327
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Mindless, conscience-lacking fundamentalism. In all its forms.
A thing that makes even otherwise good people just empty machines without thinking, and if they are to talk, they see just blindly their point and do not wish to allow anything else, just because it would shake their views and opinions, which stand on the grounds too weak to support them actually.
I agree.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:01 PM   #2328
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Fundamentalism is selective blindness, selective deafness and selective dumbness. It is a sincere yearning for the good ol' days when the world was still flat and everything revolved around Man, when witches were burned alongside scholars, and wars were fought by fundamentalists fundamentally opposed to other fundamentalists whose doctrines were, obviously, fundamentally unsound.

I assign the whole ilk to Sauron's commode.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:31 PM   #2329
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
It is a sincere yearning for the good ol' days when the world was still flat and everything revolved around Man, when witches were burned alongside scholars, and wars were fought by fundamentalists fundamentally opposed to other fundamentalists whose doctrines were, obviously, fundamentally unsound.
"Is that clever?"

"It is perfectly phrased! and quite as true as any observation in civilized life should be."
Old 11-14-2008, 06:19 AM   #2330
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Fundamentalism is selective blindness, selective deafness and selective dumbness. It is a sincere yearning for the good ol' days when the world was still flat and everything revolved around Man, when witches were burned alongside scholars, and wars were fought by fundamentalists fundamentally opposed to other fundamentalists whose doctrines were, obviously, fundamentally unsound.
That's moving it into a kind of different and specific perspective; agreed, but why I formulated it the way I formulated it was that I intended it to say it as globally as possible. You can apply it on all various kinds of the "selective blindness and deafness", as you formulated it, anything which makes people dig in their heels and scorn anything that does not go together with their belief: be it the fact that the world is flat, or be it the fact that the world is round. The fundamentalism is still fundamentalism - whether one is right or not does not give him the right to force the other one to just "believe it, or else...!" - That's the main point of it.
And people being led into wars by their fundamentalism to possibly fight other people being led by their fundamentalism are here still to this day. (And often it's not the other fundamentalists whom they meet, but people who have hardly anything to do with it.) Enough said. That's all I assigned already.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #2331
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
I previously assigned the MBTA (Massachusetts Bay Transportation Authority) to Orthanc, but I now think it deserves to be downgraded to Mordor. Sure the system is easy to use, but there are so many problems with it.

First off, I get so annoyed about having to sometimes wait up to 20 minutes for a train to arrive. The Green Line is notoriously horrible, being so slow. On Wednesday I went to the Museum of Fine Arts, and only a block from my stop the trains jerked to a stop and the power turned off. Luckily, there was really any delay...just a couple of minutes. I was more frustrated with getting back on the train later. There were a lot of people waiting at the stop and the first train flew right past us and never stopped. The second one arrived 10 minutes later and people were trying to get on, but the train was really crowded. Instead of telling people to scoot in, the conductor actually yelled at the passengers who weren't behind the white line to get off the train. Other passenger weren't so nice either...they wouldn't move or scoot in even though there was an empty seat. I finally managed to shove my way through and get to the seat since I had somewhere to be and there was no way I would wait another 10-15 minutes for another train. In the end it wasn't that bad...because the conductor was so busy trying to kick people off, she never noticed I hadn't tapped my card to pay. I usually feel guilty for that sort of thing, but not that time...

But that's not actually the main reason I'm assigning the MBTA. The real reason is because of what happened today....and thank god I did not have to use the subway today. This morning there was a train collision at the subway station next to my campus. The media's calling it a bump, but according to victims it was much worse than that. Seven people were taken to the hospital and several others were injured as well. I heard that a man was actually bleeding from the head. And the MBTA handled it horribly. People were stuck underground for about an hour. I had classmates who arrived to class an hour and a half late because they were stuck then had to walk rest of the way. And I heard no announcements were given about what happened, so people didn't know why they were delayed. It's said that things like this rarely happen, but apparently someone was killed in a derailment only months ago and there was a similar collision to this last December. The Boston Globe has an article on the event, but the user comments afterwards give a more honest account of what happened.

I apologise for my really long rant, but this whole event makes me quite disgusted about Boston's public transportation system and I have to get it off my chest. And the thing is, I love using public transportation, but not when I'm constantly waiting for trains and then don't feel safe riding them. The city really needs to get their act together and make the public transportation function better. Because there are enough people using it and paying for it that we deserve to have good service.
Old 11-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #2332
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

...and here I am, about to assign standing inside a bus like a sardine in a can or getting only half my butt on a seat on the jeepney... makes me a bit happy that trains in my country, though overpriced (every public work here is overpriced,damned politicians!) hasn't had an accident since it was made about seven or eight years ago.

Legal Madness.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:35 PM   #2333
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
being taken completely and utterly for granted.

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2008, 03:43 PM   #2334
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
*hugs*

*adores*

Really.
Old 11-15-2008, 03:54 PM   #2335
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Oh I didn't mean you sweetie... I mean my family ..especially my sister who seems to think I have nothing better to do in the time when I am not working or minding ancient parent to ready the shabby ancestral pad as a venue for her birthday party ..indeed I should apparently be grateful for this incentive to get on with the planned redecorations. and it isn't a tea party it involves her grungy friends in "the band" playing a set ..and you know how I feel about guitars.

Old 11-15-2008, 03:56 PM   #2336
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

I didn't think you meant me, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded that people love you. And sometimes it's nice to just say it.
Old 11-15-2008, 04:07 PM   #2337
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

That is true and apreciated and very Shire worthy . Thank you Fea - I love you back

"From quiet homes and first beginning, Out to the undiscovered ends, There's nothing worth the wear of winning, But laughter and the love of friends."

Old 11-15-2008, 04:52 PM   #2338
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
I assign political parties! I'm so tired of the RabidRepublicans and the DeliriousDemocrats, they drive me INSANE!
Old 11-15-2008, 05:16 PM   #2339
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

The temptation to give a 'literary' story a 'genre' ending.

I've been reading too many 1930s pulps, I think... I so badly want the little girl to be all, "Quin, you are my father."

But a move like that will result in my teacher being all "I'm disappointed in you, Laura. You have such a great tone, and such command over storytelling devices, so why did you take such an easy way out in the end?"

Blah blah blah.

Mostly I just assign getting almost entirely through a story and having zero idea how to end it neatly.
Old 11-15-2008, 05:18 PM   #2340
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
Yes I am not a super-human

I assign chosing the wrong sauce for you KFC meal.

Old 11-15-2008, 05:19 PM   #2341
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
Although I have no personal experience in that, I have a friend whose parents treat her almost as a housekeeper. Having seen that for quite a long time, I can second your assignation.

*hugs, too*
Old 11-15-2008, 05:57 PM   #2342
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post
That is the worst thing that could ever happen?
Old 11-15-2008, 06:00 PM   #2343
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Corrupt politicians!
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGEW
I assign political parties! I'm so tired of the RabidRepublicans and the DeliriousDemocrats, they drive me INSANE!
HA! I'm afraid that I've beaten you to it TGEW! Although I was a little more general than you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
My goodness, that's awful! Hopefully you didn't just pour it into the bucket and rune the entire batch.
Old 11-15-2008, 06:01 PM   #2344
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

It seems to be a massive problem in my world right now, anyways I thought it was a nice change from all these "deep" problems.

Old 11-15-2008, 08:52 PM   #2345
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
>:(

I'd like to assign co-workers that punch out for breaks and never come back, or just end up not coming in at all, instead of having the decency to just say "I quit".

Having seven cashiers for all week when you're supposed to have six at all times.

People who don't pull their weight, forcing those who are already pulling their share to do more than they're supposed to.

Physically not being able to pull my own weight.

And if I haven't assigned them already, people who shoplift from secondhand stores.

Oh yeah. Also, being easily distracted. Missing opportunities. Waiting.

Last edited by Oddwen; 11-15-2008 at 08:57 PM.
Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 07:05 AM   #2346
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Quote:
My goodness, that's awful! Hopefully you didn't just pour it into the bucket and rune the entire batch.

Is it actually possible to ruin a foodstuff that is served in a bucket? You are working from a pretty low baseline there Categories of food served in a bucket: KFC and animal feed ...

Old 11-17-2008, 09:18 AM   #2347
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Some how I mannaged to miss this post. . .

No I only bought 6 pieces and a bit of sauce, so I dipped the a piece in the sauce and was horrified by the result.

Old 11-17-2008, 09:32 AM   #2348
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

I don't understand how one can choose a wrong sauce at KFC, Rune... what sauce is that, yes we wondersss...

Legal Madness.
Old 11-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #2349
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

I don't buy KFC food very often and so I could not remember which sauce it was I liked with my chicken. . .

Old 11-17-2008, 10:36 AM   #2350
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune Son of Bjarne View Post

No I only bought 6 pieces and a bit of sauce, so I dipped the a piece in the sauce and was horrified by the result.
Whatever happened to your quality beef? You can't go wrong with a bit o' steak!

P.S. I've noticed that your chicken problems seem to be of more interest to the Downers than all the other crappy things that are going on in the world. Don't get me wrong, ruining a bucket of chicken is pretty bad.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:42 AM   #2351
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

As much as it hurts me to say "Man does not live by beef alone"

Old 11-17-2008, 11:08 AM   #2352
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen
I'd like to assign co-workers that punch out for breaks and never come back, or just end up not coming in at all, instead of having the decency to just say "I quit".

Having seven cashiers for all week when you're supposed to have six at all times.

People who don't pull their weight, forcing those who are already pulling their share to do more than they're supposed to.
Do you want to borrow my new and *enthusiastic* manager? It makes just abandoning those who can't pull their own weight, or those disappearing then saying wickedly, "Well, I think they went out smoking again... But I don't know much about that since I don't smoke..." sooo much easier.

Her perky smile and 'can do anything... I say!' attitude is fun to watch. I don't even have to say anything and she attacks. It's great.

Personally as I see it, if you are obviously fit enough to go wandering off and not do your job, then I don't see the reason to help you. Otherwise I'm usually the first one to jump in and scoop up the dying newbie who's under several hundred plates, beer mugs, and who knows what else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rune
As much as it hurts me to say "Man does not live by beef alone"
Correction, this belongs in the Shire...

My work schedule and limited computer access belongs in Mordor, even with 48 hour Days, I can't catch up at all to the end of the page before something hits. Ergh.
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 03:26 PM   #2353
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
That is the worst thing that could ever happen?
It would have been if he'd accidentally been given Salad Cream. Spee-uw.

I assign Salad Cream to Mordor. It kind of goes with that lettuce that looked and tasted like privet, ham out of a can and peeled cucumber, the kind of 'Sunday tea' often served up by nans in the 1970s and which always brings back scary memories of trying not to spit up the salad cream down your best clothes and having to be quiet when Harry Secombe's Highway started.
Old 11-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #2354
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign the word 'pundit'. Moreover, I assign that word to the ninth circle of Hell. The word must banned. It must never be used again. In fact, if I could time travel, I would throttle the person who first uttered the Saskrit word 'pandita', the Indian precursor to 'that word'. I despise the word, the people who use it in conversation, and particularly the people who refer to themselves as...that misbegotten word.
Old 11-17-2008, 10:37 PM   #2355
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I assign people who carry on conversations using their Bluetooth in crowded places. You see someone standing right next to you, and they are looking in your direction and speaking. You begin to reply, they look at you as if you've grown a second head and turn away, and then you see the accursed device stuck in the other ear you couldn't see. Cell phones are an abomination in themselves, but they do serve a limited good so I'll avoid sending them all to Mordor (for now).
Old 11-17-2008, 11:04 PM   #2356
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
I assign people who carry on conversations using their Bluetooth in crowded places. You see someone standing right next to you, and they are looking in your direction and speaking. You begin to reply, they look at you as if you've grown a second head and turn away, and then you see the accursed device stuck in the other ear you couldn't see. Cell phones are an abomination in themselves, but they do serve a limited good so I'll avoid sending them all to Mordor (for now).
I'll assign thinking the person with the bluetooth is talking to you, and you carry on a conversation with them for a good couple of minutes...yeah...blonde...

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 04:11 PM   #2357
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Woolworths going out of business needs to go to Mordor! Not only does this not bode well for the economy, but I use that shop a LOT and I grew up with it always being around, so I will seriously miss it and I'm sad
Old 11-26-2008, 07:08 PM   #2358
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalwendë View Post
Woolworths going out of business needs to go to Mordor! Not only does this not bode well for the economy, but I use that shop a LOT and I grew up with it always being around, so I will seriously miss it and I'm sad
Are you serious?

That is one of the cooprerations that everybody has heard of in Denmark, I newer thought they would go out of business.

Old 11-26-2008, 08:42 PM   #2359
Inziladun
Gruesome Spectre

Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Inziladun is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Quote:
Hmm. We used to have them 'round where I live, but that's been years ago. Honestly, I thought they'd gone away long before. It is sad to see such an institution pass away, though.
Old 11-26-2008, 10:05 PM   #2360
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inziladun View Post
Ouch. Around last month I used the bluetooth in a family dinner, and while I was doing the dishes my cousins were staring at me, wondering if I finally lost my head, because I was laughing like crazy. I've never used that thing again.

Legal Madness.