The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 07:08 PM   #1481
Ibrîniđilpathânezel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Ibrîniđilpathânezel is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I can hardly pronounce it myself. And then not reliably.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good wight -- er, night!
Old 12-24-2008, 11:56 PM   #1482
Morthoron
Curmudgeonly Wordwraith

Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Morthoron is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
Editorial Reply

Dear Editorial Staff:

I must highly protest your use of an alleged 'poem' by that arrogant Dark Elf fellow in your Christmas edition of the 'Downer. Such impertinence is uncalled for, and sullies the Holiday tradition! This is a time of year for rampant spending and teaching children the essential tools of business: greed, dishonesty and ingratitude. There should be no levity or parody surrounding such a blessed event as the largest quarterly household expenditure on retail merchandise for the fiscal year.

As far as the parody itself, I prefer the original "Night Before Christmas" as it sets the proper marketing tone with dreams of toys swimming about in addled TV-addicted children's heads. It is a veritable toy commercial read by parents to their children at bedtime, and it doesn't cost advertisers a red cent! And what established poet rhymes particular with vehicular? It is preposterous nonsense!

Sincerely,
Morthoron the Moriquendi
The Barrow Downs, NW Arnor
Old 12-25-2008, 02:46 AM   #1483
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

By the way, if you want to see the other Phantom and Alien related videos or the two other Fungoltch and Schmurt comics, they're on the special website as well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
IT'S FUNGOLTCH AND SCHMURT SAVE CHRISTMAS!!!

Here's a screen shot to whet your appetites.

To see more of these folks...

Comic Archive

And I hope you all have wonderful times.

Credits:

Animation - Matt Cornah
Story board - Joel Cornah (me)

Voices
Fungoltch - Matt
Schmurt - Matt with a higher pitched voice.
Alien - Me
Phantom - Lester Square

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 12-25-2008 at 07:34 AM.
Hookbill the Goomba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 01:37 AM   #1484
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
Oh I wish I can understand just what Fungoltch and Schmurt are saying, though. Anyway, good job on the Downer!!

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2008, 08:54 AM   #1485
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Although I'm pretty sure that what they are saying makes no sense in any language, I'd suspect that this is somewhat loosely based on some Germanic language. At least the "mitt" in the sign gives me the idea that this crazy language had verbs similar to German ones, in this case "mittkruspmoren" or something like that.
Old 12-26-2008, 09:08 AM   #1486
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Although I'm pretty sure that what they are saying makes no sense in any language, I'd suspect that this is somewhat loosely based on some Germanic language. At least the "mitt" in the sign gives me the idea that this crazy language had verbs similar to German ones, in this case "mittkruspmoren" or something like that.
Alright, I'll tell you. It's the lyrics to Kraftwerk's Das Model played backwards. My brother, Matt (animator and voices of Fungoltch and Schmurt), thought this was funnier than my idea of reading out random bits from every language on an electrical instruction manuel.

Well, it's Friday and it's Phantom and Alien time!

On Monday it's 50TH EPISODE TIME!! Yep, we're almost half way through volume two already! After episode 50 goes up, there may be a short break of some other comics not in this story. Exploring the Phantom and Alien's previous attempts at fame.
Old 12-28-2008, 06:01 PM   #1487
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Get up! Get out! Get... um... Down? It's time for the news...

And now, the first half of Volume 2 of The Phantom and Alien reaches it's shocking climax!

Comic Archive

Alien’s exploding beans were first mentioned HERE, and later HERE.

There will be no Phantom and Alien on Wednesday or Friday. On Monday will begin a week of 'before they were famous' P&As before we go back into the EPIC story.
Old 12-29-2008, 05:58 AM   #1488
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Awww Phantom is cute when he cries!
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:20 AM   #1489
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
The Pahntom is always cute regardless of circumstance... though I think awesome is closer to the mark....

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 09:50 AM   #1490
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Wait, nooo! So they're all dead? The vigilantes? I can't wait for the next episode.
Old 12-30-2008, 11:02 AM   #1491
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Excellent job Hookbill, it was wonderfully entertaining. Though, I am going to miss Crazy Pete. Waiting anxiously for the next episode!
Old 01-01-2009, 09:24 AM   #1492
Lindale
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Lindale has just left Hobbiton.
'Splody beans. Really interesting things.

Legal Madness.
Lindale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:51 PM   #1493
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Might View Post
Wait, nooo! So they're all dead?
We didn't exactly see them die, all we saw was a scenario where they almost certainly perished, which is not the same thing as dying. This means that there might be a good chance that the Hoody Cloaky group will return! Yeah!
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 06:02 PM   #1494
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Keep your feet in the fire, burst your nose on a bookcase and waddle down the road, it's time for the news...

We're taking a break from the EPIC STORY of Volume 2 for a week or so. For now, here's what The Phantom and Alien were up to before they decided to become comic strip stars...

Comic Archive

The conclusion to this 'exciting' adventure will be shown on Friday. On Monday there will be a brief 'previously on The Phantom and Alien' strip and the following week we'll be back into the story.
Hope you enjoy it!

This plan may change, mind you, depending on how I feel...
Old 01-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #1495
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dűm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
" Is believed to have been similar to photosynthesis"
Not only is that the weirdest escape of all time; but also the best! I will have to try it sometime.

I am going to have to use that as an excuse for everything. It will join the Barrow-Downs Quote Hall of Fame (and active vocabulary) that TheGreatElvenWarrior and I have put together.

That was an excellent article by the way, very...informative. I never really 'got' the idea Wednesdays either, they should be moved to in between Saturday and Sunday.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2009, 09:06 AM   #1496
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

The conclusion to the exciting adventures of Phanston and Ailsbry, Private Detectives;

Come back on Monday for Episode 51 on the EPIC story of The Phantom and Alien Volume 2: Revolting Revelations!
Old 01-11-2009, 06:10 PM   #1497
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Feeling out of touch? Feeling like it's time for some news? Didn't think so. But here's The Downer anyway.

Just in case you feel like the story is running away...PREVIOUSLY ON THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN!!!

And now, the adventure continues. Just how many died in that explosion?

Comic Archive

Dun dun DUUUUNNN!! Or something.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 01-11-2009 at 06:14 PM.
Old 01-13-2009, 09:00 PM   #1498
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Groin Redbeard is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Oooh, the day the Downs stood still!
Old 01-14-2009, 08:19 AM   #1499
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Here's your midweek Phalien. BE HAPPY!

Remember what Mr Gross said back here? Seems to be paying off.
Old 01-14-2009, 10:25 PM   #1500
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morai has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles happen to be in a good mood right now, in case anybody cares

Haha! I love how cheerful Davem is about arresting Phantom. Also, Phalien makes me think of pairing shipping in fanfics and fan art, which makes me giggle for embarrassing lengths of time.
Old 01-14-2009, 11:13 PM   #1501
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin
Oooh, the day the Downs stood still!
Michael Rennie would make a great Phantom. I agree.

Oh no...would Phantom be Klaatu, with Alien being Gort? Bwa ha!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai
Phalien makes me think of pairing shipping in fanfics and fan art, which makes me giggle for embarrassing lengths of time.
Alien/'Splody Beans = OTP?

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 12:11 AM   #1502
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via MSN to Morai Send a message via Yahoo to Morai Send a message via Skype™ to Morai
Boots Random Titles get a little fanatical

Quote:
Alien/'Splody Beans = OTP?
Alien and 'Splody Beans forever!
Old 01-16-2009, 04:36 AM   #1503
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Time for your friday Phantom and Alien...
This time, Alien and Lal investigate The White Room... But they're not alone...

COMIC ARCHIVE

See you all on Monday!
Old 01-16-2009, 06:29 AM   #1504
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
What a lovely guest star In any case, the P&A is getting better and better. Can't wait to see what happens next...

(Unless Alien is also going to feed Rune something...)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 10:54 AM   #1505
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Oh joy, a new character! I love the look that the two give Alien in the last post!
Old 01-16-2009, 08:06 PM   #1506
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc
(Unless Alien is also going to feed Rune something...)
Or feed Rune to something...

Old 01-17-2009, 07:33 PM   #1507
Groin Redbeard
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oddwen View Post
Or feed Rune to something...
Wait a minute! Didn't Alien eat Rune in a previous post?
Old 01-17-2009, 07:59 PM   #1508
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groin Redbeard View Post
Wait a minute! Didn't Alien eat Rune in a previous post?
Rune had his face melted off with "perfume" in his debut performance, but I don't remember if he's appeared since?

Old 01-18-2009, 06:01 PM   #1509
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

It's New. It's Plural. It's The NEWS!

Keep your socks on the radiator and eat a whole muffin, this week there's some interesting stuff. Probably.

Our epic adventure continues with The Phantom getting in to some trouble. Poor Phantom.

Comic Archive

Mr Gross the Boss first appeared in episode 001 of Volume 2! He came back briefly in this episode. But what is going to happen to Phantom? Who knows?
Old 01-23-2009, 10:46 AM   #1510
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Sorry, Wednesday was a bit hectic for me. If the same happens next week I may have to revert to the two-comics-a-week deal again. Sorry.

If you've been paying attention, you will have noticed Fish-Man references strung out through this little tale. First seen here, then here and here. Also, the mysterious Mr Namshif's name is a rubbish anagram of 'Fish Man'. Yep. It's all coming together.

If you've forgotten Rune's previous appearances, I shall direct you here and here.
Clearly he's a funny, funny guy. And being digested by Alien didn't mess up your social life, clearly.

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 01-25-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Old 01-24-2009, 06:54 AM   #1511
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I feel like beating up Alien for that comment about my tie!

I am actually quite suprised that people remember my appearence in Phantom and Alien better than I do. . .

"Man Claims He Can See Into The Distance" - priceless

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 06:02 PM   #1512
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up 133

Alright you lot! Hands on heads! Eat some breads! See some... meds?
Anyway. Here's the news.

The Phantom has some trouble in prison. But he soon deals with it.

Comic Archive

Well, it’s definitely SOMEONE’S wallet.

I hope you're all enjoying the Phantom and Alien volume 2! There are only 44 episodes left! Gosh! I'm already getting into Volume 3 and have plans going as far as volume 6. Lets just say there are some incredibly seemingly insignificant things that become very, VERY important. So, make sure you keep your eyes open in the upcoming and episodes, and do go back through the previous ones to see if you can come up with any theories...

Last edited by Hookbill the Goomba; 01-25-2009 at 06:06 PM.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:03 PM   #1513
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Title #896

Quote:
Go to Mordor, Gross.
Best Phalien line ever. Well, at least, it's one of my favorites. Also, I've decided I like the way you did the text, it's a lot easier to read now.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:12 PM   #1514
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morai View Post
Also, I've decided I like the way you did the text, it's a lot easier to read now.
Yes, I'd been struggling with a workable format for some time. I always wanted to keep the colour coding as a sort of quirk for the comic. So far, I've kept this format into Volume 3.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:45 AM   #1515
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I love Brinn and Mith.

Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #1516
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Ectoplasm? I thought it was marmalade!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:20 AM   #1517
Eönwë
Flame Imperishable

Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Eönwë is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
AHHHH! The Fish Man!

wait... wrong week... I mean...

Davem can I buy your shed?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:05 PM   #1518
Morai
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Boots Random Titles stink at selling real estate

Quote:
Davem can I buy your shed?
That would be one expensive piece of property.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:57 PM   #1519
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Make sure your face is covered and your stomach prepared, because it's time for some more Phalien nonsense!

I hope you're all wondering what's going to happen next.
Old 01-28-2009, 03:01 PM   #1520
Beregond
Playful Ghoul

Beregond is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
"ectoplasm, is it safe to eat?"

Hahaha! Your newspapers never fail to crack me up!