The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Announcements and Obituaries > Haudh-en-Ndengin
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-16-2002, 04:15 PM   #1
Gorothlammothiel

Gorothlammothiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting [Religion] Unintentional Religion in Tolkien's works?

Before I started this thread I used the search and found two similar threads "trilogy and the bible" and "(lack of) Religion in LOTR, I have to say the first was more helpful.

My reasoning for this thread is that I have been given a project to present how a religious theme is potrayed through a book/film/television drama etc. I know there is great controversy as to whether there was intentional religious meaning in Tolkien's works, but thought that as I have such a great intrest in Tolkien's works that it may be appropriate.

The work doesn't have to be definitive and I aim to give all views on the matter, including that Tolkien himself said that it was not meant to be a religious work, but to give morals etc.

I have collected a lot of notes from Tolkien's letters and from the books themselves. I also have other articles from online sources and opinions from religious groups. I would like however to inculde opinions and views from others like myself who apreicate the works and thought the best place was on the downs.

I would appreciate your views and I will post ideas and sections of what I write as it gets typed up. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

To start with there is the idea that Christianity (as an example) has the idea of good triumphing against evil and the ideas of there being a force for good (God) and the opposite being the devil and dark powers which is what we see in ME, although that is indeed the case in most stories of fantasy. The corruption of creatures by the ring could be considered to be sin I suppose...

[ August 16, 2002: Message edited by: Gorothlammothiel ]

[ June 24, 2003: Message edited by: The Barrow-Wight ]