The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2007, 01:09 PM   #1
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Tolkien Finduilas and the Doom of Turin

When I first read The Children of Hurin, there was one passage that I found jarring. After Gwindor is wounded to the death, he warns Turin that Finduilas "alone stands between you and your doom. If you fail her, it shall not fail to find you." I did not recall this from the Silmarillion text and wondered if it was a creation or interpretation of Christopher Tolkien. This is a case of simply failing to take note of details, since the same warning appears in the Silmarillion. Curious, because the words of Gwindor seem odd, as I will discuss in a moment, I checked Unfinished Tales. No help there, because this passage was not revised from the original Silmarillion text in UT. Going farther back, to the Shaping of Middle-Earth, this reference to averting Turin's doom is not present. Instead, Gwindor (or Flinding at the time) exacts a pledge from Turin to rescue Finduilas or, if he cannot, to slay her. A bit more investigation led me to The War of the Jewels where the language from CoH appears almost verbatim. CT's commentary notes that the reference to averting Turin's doom goes back to Lost Tales where it first appeared, but was later modified to the simple pledge to rescue Finduilas, at least until the War of the Jewels version.

Anyway, my question is this. How could the rescue of Finduilas avert Turin's doom, which was imposed by Morgoth's curse? I believe that every version of the Finduilas story emphasizes that Turin did not love her other than as a friend and did not have any desire to wed her. This was not a case where there could have been another marriage of Elves and Men, and even if there were, how would this avert Morgoth's curse? The curse was on Turin, not his name, and it seemed that it would always seek him out, where ever he went and what ever he did. If Turin had not fallen under the binding spell of Glaurung and had somehow managed to rescue Finduilas, how could this affect his doom?
Old 11-17-2007, 02:05 PM   #2
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
In my mind, the chief negative consequence of Turin's failure to heed Gwindor's advice was his happening upon Nienor, and their resultant marriage. Turin's death seemed imminent regardless, a fate given him by a power much greater than his own - but what Turin represents (imo) is the ancient ideal of personal honor and incorruption as virtues of far greater importance than whether one lives or dies - which makes his unnatural marriage infinitely worse than death in battle, death by torture, or anything else Morgoth could have devised.

Why did Gwindor mention Finduilas specifically? Why not tell him not to fall in love with the naked girl running through the forest, or something else more directly related to his final fate? I think that the Finduilas strand is a 'What if...?' which Tolkien left vague intentionally - another layer of the misty veil surrounding the predestined fall of his tragic hero.
"This miserable drizzling afternoon I have been reading up old military lecture-notes again:- and getting bored with them after an hour and a half. I have done some touches to my nonsense fairy language - to its improvement."
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 05:30 PM   #3
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
I've not the time at the moment to give this question the thoughtful reply that it deserves; one point however:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithadan
I believe that every version of the Finduilas story emphasizes that Turin did not love her other than as a friend and did not have any desire to wed her.
I'm not so sure. I don't have the books at hand at the moment, but my impression from the texts (and from the UT version in especial) is that Turin was chiefly reluctant to court Finduilas out of respect for, and a desire not to betray, Gwindor. Also, I recall that he was afraid he would bring his curse upon her. So I see Turin as attracted indeed to Finduilas, but holding himself back from wedding her for these (actually rather admirable) reasons.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:21 PM   #4
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
What Aiwendil assuemd for the version in UT was true for sure in the version of the story in The Lay of the Children of Húrin.

But in my oppinion that does not really matter. Let's assume that Túrin would have followed his heart and rescued Finduilas instead of going to Dor-lómin. What would have happend next? He would have brought the rescued fugitives of Nargothrond to some save habour. This would probably have been Doriath, because that is were the fugitives of Nargorthrond that surivived in the story as we have it went too. There he would at least have leaned about the fatfull search of Morwen and Niënor. He would that have been out on a search by himself for sure. And even if he would have landed in the end in Brethil with his witness sister runing to him, would he not then have been aware of who she could be?

And as to Túrins fate: He killed himself as his sisiter had done when he at last recognised the truth of Brandirs words. That means that the fateful mariage was in the end what killed him not the dragon, nor any other foe. So what ever would have happend, if this marriage had not been, because Túrin would have rescued Finduilas his fate would have been otherwise.

Respectfully
Findegil

Last edited by Findegil; 11-18-2007 at 11:31 PM.
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2007, 05:54 PM   #5
Mithadan
Spirit of Mist

Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Mithadan is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Alas, my thread is being hijacked onto a tangent and I will be a willing part of it, paticularly because the tangent relates to the initial subject. I do want to hear what people have to say regarding the initial topic: how could saving Finduilas avert Turin's doom? Son of Numenor comes up with an interesting idea that I will respond to after giving others a chance to put in their two pence.

Aiwendil, I am tempted to accuse you of raising a question that you know the answer to. CoH and the Silmarillion both state that Turin did not return Finduilas' love. Unfinished Tales offers no help as the section of Narn i hin Hurin that would have addressed this issue is not included; the text defers to the published Silmarillion. Confident that what was published in the Silmarillion would be confirmed in earlier versions, I went directly to Shaping Middle Earth and found that Turin loved Finduilas but feared entangling her in his doom. Later versions of the Tale addressed in The War of the Jewels are substantially similar to the earlier versions, Turin loves Finduilas but fears his love. Nor do the commentaries in War of the Jewels express any regret regarding CT's final treatment of the subject in the Silmarillion as he sometimes does. I have not checked all other commentaries.

So the NEW issue becomes, where did the conception of these events found in the Silmarillion and CoH come from? Where is the source material for this version of the story? Does it come from Tokien in some unpublished text or is it CT's own view of where his father would eventually come out on this issue?
Old 11-19-2007, 08:52 AM   #6
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Mithadan, perhaps you overlooked the fragments of "Turin in Nargothrond" which were published in UT as part of the appendices to the Narn, where the Turin/Gwindor/Finduilas triangle is covered at some length (pp. 155-159). There we find
Quote:
...but against her will her love for Turin grew day by day....yet she knew he had no love of the kind she wished. His heart and mind were elsewhere
and so on; all repeated essentially verbatim in CoH. This is a slight modification of the story in the Grey Annals from a few years before, where Turin indeed loved Finduilas, but refused to 'taint' her (or betray Gwindor).

More to the specific point of Gwindor's foresight and the Doom: in UT p. 159 CT says "of the Battle of Tumhalad and the sack of Nargothrond there is no other account," sc. than that used in the Silmarillion, which in fact is that of the Grey Annals (XI. 85), where Gwindor's prophecy appears, and so that text, the published Silmarillion, and the CoH are close to identical.

(with one puzzling exception: the paragraph which appears at the bottom of CoH p. 176, repeating the Silmarillion, does not have any antecedent I can identify ["Then the warriors of Nargothrond went forth, and tall and terrible on that day looked Turin...."])