The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-03-2003, 08:54 PM   #1
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Where do Hobbits come from

Ok, this may seem like a weird question, but where do they come in? I know that the Elves were the firstborn, the men came second, Aule created the Dwarves, and Melkor destroyed Elves and came up with his orcs. What happened to the hobbits?
Old 02-03-2003, 09:22 PM   #2
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Men.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:24 PM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

I'm pretty sure that they're the descendants of the Druadan (sp?), who were shorter men that were excellent stone carvers. I don't quite remember which book I read that in, maybe it was UT...

Iarwain
Old 02-03-2003, 10:00 PM   #4
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Boots

The eagles bring them in little baskets which are left outside the smials.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:05 PM   #5
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that they're the descendants of the Druadan (sp?), who were shorter men that were excellent stone carvers. I don't quite remember which book I read that in, maybe it was UT...
I'm pretty sure that's not right.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:25 PM   #6
Bruce MacCulloch
Dead Man of Dunharrow

Bruce MacCulloch has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Bruce MacCulloch
Ring

Hobbits were definitely Men. They were not descendants of the Drûgs. Professor Tolkien very clearly states that the two are different.

Quote:
The Drûgs or Púkel-men are not however to be confused with or thought of as a mere variant on the hobbit theme. They were quite different in physical shape and appearance. Their average height (four feet) was only reached by exceptional hobbits; they were of heavier and stronger build; and their facial features were unlovely (judged by general human standards). Physically they shared the hairlessness of the lower face; but while the head-hair of the hobbits was abundant (but close and curly), the Drûgs had only sparse and lank hair on their heads and none at all on their legs and feet. In character and temperament they were at times merry and gay, like hobbits, but they had a grimmer side to their nature and could be sardonic and ruthless; and they had or were credited with strange or magical powers. (The tales, such as 'The Faithful Stone', that speak of their transferring part of their 'powers' to their artefacts, remind one in miniature of Sauron's transference of power to the foundation of the Barad-dûr and to the Ruling Ring.) Also the Drûgs were a frugal folk, and ate sparingly even in times of peace and plenty, and drank nothing but water. In some ways they resembled rather the Dwarves: in build and stature and endurance (though not in hair); in their skill in carving stone; in the grim side of their character; and in ',strange powers'. Though the 'magic' skills with which the Dwarves were credited were quite different; also the Dwarves were much grimmer; and they were long-lived, whereas the Drûgs were short-lived compared with other kinds of Men.

...Hobbits on the other hand were in nearly all respects normal Men, but of very short stature. They were called 'halflings'; but this refers to the normal height of men of Numenorean descent and of the Eldar(especially those of Noldorin descent), which appears to have been about seven of our feet. Their height at the periods concerned was usually more than three feet for men, though very few ever exceeded three foot six; women seldom exceeded three feet. They were not as numerous or variable as ordinary Men, but evidently more numerous and adaptable to different modes of life and habitat than the Drûgs, and when they are first encountered in the histories already showed divergences in colouring, stature, and build, and in their ways of life and preferences for different types of country to dwell in.
'Of Dwarves and Men', Peoples of Middle Earth, HoME vol XII

Quote:
The Hobbits are, of course, really meant to be a branch of the specifically human race (not Elves or Dwarves) - hence the two kinds can dwell together (as at Bree), and are called just the Big Fok and Little Folk. They are entirely without non-human powers, but are represented as being more in touch with 'nature' (the soil and other living things, plants and animals). and abnormally, for humans. free from ambition or greed of wealth.
Footnote to a letter to Milton Waldman, 1951

Quote:
... my 'hobbits' were in any case of dissimilar sort, a diminutive branch of the human race.
Letter to Robert Lancelyn Green, 1971

[ February 03, 2003: Message edited by: Bruce MacCulloch ]
Old 02-04-2003, 12:35 AM   #7
Anorien
Wight

Anorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Anorien
Sting

ah, ahem. i think it's time we sat down, and had that little talk about the birds and the bees... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Anorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 12:42 AM   #8
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yeah, but nobody is quite able to explain those feet.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:58 AM   #9
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Hairy feet are sexy, Birdland.
Old 02-04-2003, 07:00 AM   #10
Birdland
Ghastly Neekerbreeker

Birdland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Yes, Burrahobbit, it's a look to be envied. But how did it come about that Hobbits are on average 3 1/2 feet tall with disproportionately big feet? Is it genetics or artifice?

I mean, the Chinese had foot binding. Did the Hobbits have foot stretching? The Good Professor just left us hanging by our toes on that question, spending far too much time explaining Elven family feuds and such like.
Birdland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 11:35 AM   #11
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, you know what they say about big feet...

So it could have a been a favorable genetic quality that just got bred into being, so to speak. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

[ February 04, 2003: Message edited by: Tar-Palantir ]
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2003, 01:58 PM   #12
LaurenGreenleaf

Eye

I think at some point a Man got crossed with a half-elf half-mole kinda thing, but i'm pretty sure that isn't right. Elves and moles? [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-07-2003, 05:22 PM   #13
hobbitlass
Shade of Carn Dûm

hobbitlass has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

Last September I posted the same question and got some interesting information and theories. If you are interested here.
Old 02-07-2003, 05:25 PM   #14
Arvedui III
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arvedui III has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arvedui III
Shield

Really wierd cross breeds between men & dwarfs. (How that happened, I don't know)
Old 02-24-2003, 01:48 PM   #15
Deathwail
Haunting Spirit

Deathwail has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

If the race of Men can produce Hobbits then could they of also produced the Giants like the ones spoke of in the Hobbit? Would kinda make sence that if Men can be tiny that they could also be huge.
Old 11-07-2003, 10:57 AM   #16
Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elentári_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
Well, you know what they say about big feet...
A study was conducted in 2002...there is no correlation... [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]
I had thought they were just a kind of branch off humans. But about them being free from greed and ambition...what about Sméagol?
Old 11-07-2003, 12:00 PM   #17
Arwen1858
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Arwen1858 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Arwen1858
Sting

Quote:
But about them being free from greed and ambition...what about Sméagol?
Wasn't that mainly the Ring getting to him?
Old 11-07-2003, 01:13 PM   #18
Sharkû
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkû has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sméagol was somewhat of an outsider before he found the Ring, no doubt for good reasons.
Or look at Sandyman -- hobbits are really just Men after all, not some elevated, pure ideal.
Sharkû is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 04:42 PM   #19
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hobbits had hairy feet because they lived in the north. They needed hair to keep their feet warm. It's just plain old evolution. I have no idea how accurate this is, I was just bored.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:18 PM   #20
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Quote:
Hobbits had hairy feet because they lived in the north.
So Scandinavians and Canadians have hairy feet? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Mind you, I live at roughly the same latitude as the Shire is supposed to have been and last time I checked, my feet were relatively hairless ...

... oh, hang on ... [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 11-07-2003, 06:31 PM   #21
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Didn't human have ancestors (if you are a scientific person and believe in the theory of evolution) that were hairy and had thick-soled feet? Well, we Men developed boots and shoes and the like, and hobbits didn't! So therefore, they retained some of the qualities of our ancestors, including exceptionally hair feet.

As to their height... Who knows?
Old 11-07-2003, 06:35 PM   #22
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

(Well, that certainly proves that little theory wrong, doesn't it Saucy? [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img])

I don't presume to know the nuances of evolution in Middle-earth, so I will try to apply some of the principles of human evolution here on Earth to this particular situation. Most of the time, a creature evolves when there is a change in its environment, and its initial "body" or "qualities" weren't completely suitable to survive comfortably in that new environment. If the reason for Hobbits having hairy feet is that they lived in cold weather, then they would have had narrow, beak-like noses, would have been probably a wee bit taller, and would have probably had hair all over their bodies (not just their feet) to help protect them from the cold.

The other possibility is that Hobbits were just a sort of "freak of nature," and that they just, sort of, well... happened.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2003, 06:40 PM   #23
GreatWarg
Shade of Carn Dûm

GreatWarg has just left Hobbiton.
Question

Well, then Finwe, does that mean that the hobbits' environment hasn't changed since the time of our ancestors? Maybe they used to be skinnier before they crossed the Baranduin into the Shire. I see strange possibilities...
Old 11-07-2003, 06:54 PM   #24
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Boots

Quote:
Well, that certainly proves that little theory wrong, doesn't it Saucy?
So Hobbits just happened to ovelook the practicalities of footwear in their development? Hmm. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Despite being an evolutionist in terms of our own development, I see little scope for evolution in Middle-earth. We know from the Silmarillion that Men and Elves awoke in much the same form as they appear in LotR. As I have posted elsewhere on a similar thread, I just don't see any scope for the evolution of 6 foot plus Men into 3 to 4 foot Hobbits, with the addition of hairy feet, in the time between Men awakening and the first appearance of Hobbits.

No, a branch of Mankind they may be, but I believe that Hobbits awaoke just as we see them in the Hobbit and LotR.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:37 PM   #25
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Well, the whole "leathery-feet" development isn't necessarily attributed to evolution. Anyone who constantly walks about barefoot for a good thirty years will get feet of leather.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 11-07-2003, 08:41 PM   #26
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
No, a branch of Mankind they may be, but I believe that Hobbits awoke just as we see them in the Hobbit and LotR.
I don't think so. Smeagol and Deagol were ancestors of hobbits, but not exactly hobbits themselves, as I recall. I'll have to look around for the quotes.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:32 PM   #27
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Pipe

Quote:
I don't think so. Smeagol and Deagol were ancestors of hobbits, but not exactly hobbits themselves, as I recall.
I don't imagine them to have been that much different, certainly not in physical terms (particularly stature).

As for the development of Men, there was, of course, scope for development in culture. This clearly occured. The Numenoreans developed an advanced society, while some other strains of Man appear to have been less culturally advanced. And the Edain clearly had greater longetivity than others of their race, although that is , I think, attributable to the influence of Eru, through the Valar.

But I just can't see any scope for men who awoke 6 foot tall or more to shrink to 3 foot within two to three thousand years.
Old 11-07-2003, 09:50 PM   #28
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I think that the change in culture could be attributed to the degree of interaction with the Eldar. The only reason (well, perhaps the main reason) that the Numenoreans were so advanced for Edain, was that they were heavily influenced by the Elves.
Old 11-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #29
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Quote:
Well, the whole "leathery-feet" development isn't necessarily attributed to evolution. Anyone who constantly walks about barefoot for a good thirty years will get feet of leather.
But surely this walking around did not affect the tiny children! We are nowhere told that younger hobbits were any different in this regard.

I think we have to accept Tolkien's statement in his Letters that they were a branch of the human race. Even today on earth, we get people over seven feet tall and pygmies who are considerably shorter.

The intriguing question is how and when did hobbits diverge? Hobbits aren't heard of till 1000-1050 of the T.A., yet they are already separated into three clear groups in different living in different regions near the Anduin River. So not only do you have a clear divergence from the main human stock in terms of height and hair distribution, but even three distinct sub-groups within the Hobbit offshoot: Harfoot, Stoor, and Fallohide. We're not just talking about three cultural sub-groups, but clear differences in skin coloring (people often forget, but the Harfoot had nut-brown skin!), facial hair, height, build, personality, etc.

Unless we want to suspend the laws of nature totally, this much divergence implies that hobbits had been in existence a good, long while. So where were there before 1000 T.A.? Why do we have at least vague references to a whole string of folk: Ents, dwarves, Easterlings, the Edain, Black Numenoreans, the Maia and Ainur,etc.in Elvish records but no hobbits?

There are no clear answers on this, but I don't think you can ignore the fact that hobbits had to have been around a long while before 1000 T.A.

[ November 08, 2003: Message edited by: Child of the 7th Age ]
Old 11-08-2003, 11:28 AM   #30
ArathorofBarahir
Wight

ArathorofBarahir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think that hobbits descended from a mixtures Dwarves and Men, why I think this I don't know it just seems logical to me.
Old 11-08-2003, 04:17 PM   #31
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Hobbits were once men, but now they're shorter.

It's not hard to think of, either. We've been around on the earth for 150,000 eyars, at last count. Now, we ahve many pygmy tribes, one of which has the remarkable feature of two-toed feet!

In HoMeX Tolkien decided to shunt the Awakening of Man back several millenia because of the differeneces between all types of men not having long enough to arise earlier (nor the technological advances) and because of new cosmological theories.

So in that huge timescale, what's so strange about pygmies developing with hairy feet?

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2003, 04:19 PM   #32
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Hobbits had no facial hair (like the native South American peoples (since they were descended form Mongols and Native MAericans, does that mean they too didn't have any facial hair?) (mostly) Arathor, but even women dwarves had beards (and kids too!) so I doubt they married Hobbits. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 11-08-2003, 09:23 PM   #33
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

Question

Everyone seems to assume that all Men awoke in the same form as the Edain that we see in the Silmarillion, and that Hobbits evolved from them. But evolution seems to me to be inimicable to Tolkien's works. Is it really so difficult to imagine that Hobbits awoke in much the same form as the 3 foot tall hairy-footed creatures that we see in LotR? Not all of the Race of Man had to awake in the form of the Edain.
Old 11-09-2003, 03:50 AM   #34
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sting

Well in LotR's prologue it says that Hobbits nowadays are even more diminuative, so I don't think it's hard to imagine them awakening duradain-like in size.

Old 11-13-2003, 04:12 PM   #35
dedoublya

Sting

No no no, you have it all wrong. What was happening in middle-earth at the time was kind of like an inquisition of hobbits.
Hobbits are in fact, really small people. Freaks of nature that people couldn't accept. So they shipped them all off to this small corner of the globe to live, with Gandalf the Warder coming to check up on them every so often.
The shire that is depicted in LOTR is a sugar-coated version of an asylum for small people and "freaks" and it shrouds the real truth that the people of middle-earth were really all just bigots. I mean come on, is it that hard to comprehend? The whole Dwarf-Elf conflict?
But no one has heard of the shire, you say. Come on, Everyone's heard of it, just nobody talks about it. Its one of those things, they just like to pretend they don't know about it. So when a couple of these "four foot freaks" comes along, they panic and feign surprise.
Its so obvious isn't it? But good cover up, Tolkien.

[ November 13, 2003: Message edited by: dedoublya ]
Old 11-13-2003, 09:10 PM   #36
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Hmmm... as much as we'd love to believe that, I don't think Lord of the Rings was actually a big cover-up story for the mistreatment of the short Big-Foot creatures.

The Hobbits could have evolved from already short Men. I don't think ALL of them were six-foot-something with physiques worthy of Mr. Universe. There had to have been some variety.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:05 PM   #37
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Wow. When I posted this thread, I had never expected to get so many, hmmm, interesting asweres...
Old 11-19-2003, 02:50 PM   #38
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Haunting Spirit

Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien
Sting

Quote:
No no no, you have it all wrong. What was happening in middle-earth at the time was kind of like an inquisition of hobbits.
Hobbits are in fact, really small people. Freaks of nature that people couldn't accept. So they shipped them all off to this small corner of the globe to live, with Gandalf the Warder coming to check up on them every so often.
The shire that is depicted in LOTR is a sugar-coated version of an asylum for small people and "freaks" and it shrouds the real truth that the people of middle-earth were really all just bigots. I mean come on, is it that hard to comprehend? The whole Dwarf-Elf conflict?
But no one has heard of the shire, you say. Come on, Everyone's heard of it, just nobody talks about it. Its one of those things, they just like to pretend they don't know about it. So when a couple of these "four foot freaks" comes along, they panic and feign surprise.
Its so obvious isn't it? But good cover up, Tolkien.
Erm.. you're joking, right?

I never really thought about how hobbits came about. They just WERE. As it says about Gollum's kin, they were 'river folk'. Men do change height actually over evolution, I think. In the middle ages people were considerably shorter. But, you have really stunned me on this one. I don't know.
"And he sang to them, now in the Elven tongue, now in the speech of the West, until their hearts, wounded with sweet words, overflowed, and their joy was like swords, and they passed in thought out to regions where pain and delight flow together and tears are the very wine of blessedness."
Rindoien, elf of Lothlorien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2003, 05:26 PM   #39
Ainaserkewen
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Ainaserkewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Ainaserkewen
Sting

I can't believe that Hobbits are merely "small-men" There are so many questions that hint that they are so much more. Look at today...we have dwarves(little people) and midgets but they aren't "hobbits" I don't think that through a couple of mutant genes can come an entire race, and out of nowhere?!

No, there's something special about Hobbits that people fail to see. They were meant to be in my opinion, somebody had the idea to create them, maybe another Valar, maybe Eru himself, as companions to the three other free peoples. Remember...hobbits came in three distinced groups. Their names fail me at the moment, but there was one connected to each of the three other races, and they carried specific characteristics along with them, even when they merged with other kinds of hobbits.

The idea that men where bred with other creatures to create hobbits is rediculous. It doesn't work...I tried as a child to get my cat and dog to have pikkens(puppies/kittens, you get it) Needless to say it never happened. I think hobbits where made for a reason and are one of the initial mysteries of Tolkien's world. Why were they bred, what were they to do and so on. Like the afterlife of men, dragons and Tom Bombadil, perhaps we are only left to guess, and I daresay that Tolkien himself never had much of an idea, and if he did, it was hidden.
chicken again tomorrow? Why am I
always eating chicken?
Ainaserkewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2003, 08:37 AM   #40
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well it is impossible to crossbreed cats and dogs because they just aren't closely related. Dogs can't even be crossed with foxes. (though they can breed with wolf,coyote or jackal)Cats are serious interbreeders when given the chance;all kinds of small-cat hybrids are known,as well as crossbreeds between tiger/lion and lion/leopard.
I don't think Hobbits were hybrids,though I like to think of Orcs as being twisted creatures with blood from all other humanoid races.