Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 08-26-2006, 08:07 PM   #1081
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pardon my double post, but Foley, since you asked that question, I'm concluding that you are planning a post with such a description in it. If that is the case, I'll wait for you to post before I do.
Old 08-26-2006, 09:41 PM   #1082
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

I'd like to bring Wistan and family in to the market. My last post was Post #281.

Can someone approximate for me how much time has passed since Thornden came to collect taxes? And what part of the year is it now?

Thanks!

~ U
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 08-26-2006, 10:04 PM   #1083
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
I'm finally able to get Lys outside!

I'm terribly sorry if I've gotten any description of the Hall wrong. I know it's been changed a little, so I was trying to go with what I could remember from the last map.

Also, if anyone wishes to say hello to Lys, you're more than welcome. I've been looking forward to him meeting people for a long time.

- Tara
Old 08-27-2006, 08:31 AM   #1084
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Undome: I believe that an approximation of time is about a month and three weeks, maybe two months. It is the 22nd of May, and I believe Thornden went on his rounds somewhere towards the end of March. . .? I don't know where I could find that date to verify, but it's been about two months.

Elempi: I did indeed do a post. I didn't really explain the ruins, though, except that they weren't really visible on account of the plant life and whatnot.

-- Folwren
Old 08-27-2006, 04:54 PM   #1085
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Lommy, I'm having trouble posting right now. I can't seem to get the words to come together in any way that I don't look at with a self-disdaining sneer.

Basically, Saeryn has no duties right now that are totally pressing.

I'm just being overly complicated with it. I'll try again tomorrow.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:30 PM   #1086
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Minor quibble, Firefoot, Eodwine currently has no steward. Thornden stepped down from the position and Marenil was removed. Eodwine is currently serving as his own steward until he can find a suitable person for the office. Thornden is the almbudsman.
Old 08-28-2006, 07:46 PM   #1087
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Right... so...

I posted something so that Lommy can move on with Modtryth and it gives Thornden's sister a nice intro to the conveniently sort-of-unattached-if-we-ignore-that-Eodwine-thing Saeryn.

I don't particularly like it, but I can always edit it into something that I do like later. For now, it'll do.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:18 AM   #1088
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Oh... right...
Old 08-29-2006, 06:44 AM   #1089
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
Working up a post about the post...bwahahahahaha...I amuse myself so easily it's sad.

edit: delay in delivery mostly due to lunchtime for author. I'll get back to this, I promise.

Last edited by JennyHallu; 08-29-2006 at 09:29 AM.
Old 08-29-2006, 05:34 PM   #1090
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Celuien has just left Hobbiton.
I'm working on something for Garmund in the ruins. Just seem to be hitting a block about what's there...
Old 08-30-2006, 10:48 AM   #1091
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I'm so sorry, Fea. Poor Saeryn must be just about read to fly into a rage, or something, but Medreth isn't asking it to be mean. She has no thoughts of scandal in her head. Maybe Saeryn'll realize that.

-- Folwren
Old 08-31-2006, 06:12 PM   #1092
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Question.

How would rooming arrangements work for visitors of the household? Would each get his/her own room out of courtesy? Would Thornden's brother room with him and his sister get her own room? Would she be bedded down with another? Would the two share a room? Would they be segregated into common sleeping areas?

I meant to write a quick paragraph-or-two post wherein Saer brought Medreth to [a] room, assured her that her belongings would find their way up, and then sort of trailed off into something vague after which Folwren could post whatever. But I realized that while Saeryn might know the answer to this, I certainly don't.
Old 08-31-2006, 07:12 PM   #1093
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Medreth isn't staying over night. She's got a two/three/four month old (I don't remember how much time has passed since the beginning of this thread) baby back at home with Nurse. She's riding back tonight.

It would be fun, though, if she did stay a few days, wouldn't it? I'm afraid, though, that if she does, I'd have to re-write it where she can be transported with a baby, and I don't think she'd do that on horseback.

Any suggestions?

And if I do end up changing it, that means a lot of editing all around. . .that is, for me and Fea.

Or maybe Javan could stay!! Is there some empty place around for him to fill? that would be fun! He could stay in Thornden's room, or Lys' maybe, Tara? This is just a random idea just hatched, so you no one really has to be as enthusiastic about it as I seem to be.

-- Folwren
Old 08-31-2006, 07:43 PM   #1094
JennyHallu
The Pearl, The Lily Maid

Location: In my luxury Barrow, snuggled up in a pile of satin pillows, eating fresh fruit.
JennyHallu has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to JennyHallu Send a message via AIM to JennyHallu Send a message via MSN to JennyHallu Send a message via Yahoo to JennyHallu
He might also stay in the Main Hall with Tristan
Old 08-31-2006, 08:23 PM   #1095
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Javan would be assigned to the main hall.

Celuien? Do you want to post for Garmund next? Or do you want me to post for Falco and/or the man in the ruins?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:26 PM   #1096
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Well, if I posted, it would just be to agree with Thornden about why the group came and to give Garmund's name. I almost feel like it would decrease the suspense to write that before the stranger replies, so maybe introductions can come afterwards...

What do you think?
Old 08-31-2006, 08:29 PM   #1097
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Hmmm.... the stranger hasn't been asked any question, so he won't reply per sé. But he certainly will do something if no one else does. Shall I proceed? (not tonight though)
Old 08-31-2006, 08:31 PM   #1098
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlemanpoet
But he certainly will do something if no one else does. Shall I proceed? (not tonight though)
That sounds interesting. Please do.
Old 08-31-2006, 08:35 PM   #1099
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celuien
That sounds interesting. Please do.
Okay. Ah heck, I shouldn't tonight but I will.

Just one edit I need, and will take for granted that it will happen so I can post tonight: Foley, the man will not challenge Thornden with such words. You'll see why. So if you could please just delete your last two of your paragraphs, it'd work best. I'll just write as if you will.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:50 AM   #1100
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Alright, will do. I didn't exactly know what sort of character he was. I half figured he'd not like the sight of Thornden.

EDIT: Done. Later today, after gardening and taking a practice ACT, I may edit it again to give it a better, more rounded ending and then put up another post for Thornden. . .

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 09-01-2006 at 05:54 AM.
Old 09-01-2006, 08:37 AM   #1101
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

THat sounds like a good idea, Foley. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2006, 08:43 AM   #1102
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have written Moddie and the children to come to Garstan looking for Garmund. Hopefully that's okay with you Cel.

If we manage well, we might even later get to the adults' serious discussion about the children that Stigend planned...
Old 09-01-2006, 03:06 PM   #1103
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

A couple of unrelated matters

First, a few weeks back I read an article about a "separation surgery" for Siamese twins, and it got me to thinking about odd stories of two headed men from medieval times. And that got me to thinking things out a bit more. So you see what I've been leading up to with the ruins.

Second, I've been thinking a lot about feudal versus non-feudal medieval economies/societies. Anglo-Saxon England (before 1066) was not feudal. After 1066, it was VERY feudal, thanks to the blasted Normans. So in my post in which Eomer interviewed Eodwine, I recorded that Eomer is basically experimenting with feudalism in the Middle Emnet, which is more or less an import from Gondor. The rest of Rohan is therefore NOT feudal.

Here's an article that I haven't finished reading but it may prove insightful about that kind of thing: Anglo-Saxon England. Settlement - rural and town life. This might help us keep track of what's what a little better.
Old 09-02-2006, 08:08 AM   #1104
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
First, a few weeks back I read an article about a "separation surgery" for Siamese twins, and it got me to thinking about odd stories of two headed men from medieval times. And that got me to thinking things out a bit more. So you see what I've been leading up to with the ruins.
Oh, that's strange. That's really strange. Not the Siamese twins, but this character in the story.

And I left off so soon in my last post so that Garmund could have a chance to protest or something.

-- Folwren
Old 09-02-2006, 10:52 AM   #1105
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Elempi, what's happening with Falco and the interesting pair of twins at this moment? How far away are they from the wall?

-- Folwren
Old 09-02-2006, 11:03 AM   #1106
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
Elempi, what's happening with Falco and the interesting pair of twins at this moment? How far away are they from the wall?

-- Folwren
There, I've set you up for your next post.
Old 09-02-2006, 12:56 PM   #1107
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

It's funny... I'd nearly forgotten that we're writing mythology.
Old 09-02-2006, 11:27 PM   #1108
Taralphiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Taralphiel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Taralphiel
Sorry, I jut picked this up!

Quote:
Or maybe Javan could stay!! Is there some empty place around for him to fill? that would be fun! He could stay in Thornden's room, or Lys' maybe, Tara? This is just a random idea just hatched, so you no one really has to be as enthusiastic about it as I seem to be.
Yes! Definitely! Lys is lonely in the garden and all by himself, so if Medreth or Javan or anyone approaches him he'll be most pleased. Even more so if he has someone to stay with.

Hint hint

- Tara
Old 09-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #1109
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Tara, I do eventually intend to have one of my characters address Lys, yes. But I don't know about Javan staying yet. We'd have to work that out throughout this Day.

Firefoot, I hope I did okay with Leof. If you want anything changed, you can tell me and I can edit it when I get back.

I am going to be leaving this afternoon sometime and may not be back to post again until tomorrow afternoon.

-- Folwren
Old 09-04-2006, 03:05 AM   #1110
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Silmaril

I'll try to write my next post tomorrow.
Old 09-04-2006, 01:45 PM   #1111
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Laiudanama has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

My first post in a while is up ('A Nasty Shock for Trystan' - I sound like a chapter heading in an Enid Blyton book...) - sorry I've taken so long, it's been a somewhat busy Summer Hope this fits in with everyones plans...
Old 09-04-2006, 07:33 PM   #1112
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Just for the sake of clarity, what Celuien and I have been shooting for has been for Garmund and Falco to hit it off best with Lefun & Ritun (really sad names, I admit, but my imaginative powers are apparently faulty in that respect right now ) . Thornden has consistently made this somewhat hard to bring about, which has actually been fun, so don't you dare apologize, Foley! Now with the added presence of Trystan, this could really get interesting with two (three actually) characters mutually paranoid of each other.

Falco has a mind to tell Thornden "he went thataway!" - but that does not answer Thornden's question. Foley, please feel free to write a post for Thornden in which Falco agrees to go back with him to Garmund, with whom they find Trystan. Celuein, will you have Garmund supply a description for Trystan? If so, could you have Falco and Thornden walk in on that? Ain't this interlinking fun?

Okay, L&R are/is big but not that big. They're big from the hips down in order to support all that extra weight properly, but from the hips up, they're actually a little smaller than a normal human like Thornden, because of the deformity itself. So let's just say that L&R come in at a grand total of 5 feet, 4 inches high, but thicker as a dwarf in the legs. Any questions?

Last edited by littlemanpoet; 09-04-2006 at 07:43 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:37 PM   #1113
Celuien
Riveting Ribbiter

Quote:
Celuein, will you have Garmund supply a description for Trystan? If so, could you have Falco and Thornden walk in on that? Ain't this interlinking fun?
It is fun. Post will come tomorrow evening. I had a long daytrip today, which has left me somewhat tired and uncreative at the moment.
Old 09-04-2006, 07:47 PM   #1114
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Quote:
Just for the sake of clarity, what Celuien and I have been shooting for has been for Garmund and Falco to hit it off best with Lefun & Ritun (really sad names, I admit, but my imaginative powers are apparently faulty in that respect right now ) . Thornden has consistently made this somewhat hard to bring about, which has actually been fun, so don't you dare apologize, Foley!
How did you know I was going to apologize? I was in the act of mouthing the words (very honestly, too) 'I'm sorry!' when you told me not to, so I didn't finish.

And I thought the Lefun and Ritun were excellent names. Made me laugh, any how.

Quote:
Falco has a mind to tell Thornden "he went thataway!" - but that does not answer Thornden's question. Foley, please feel free to write a post for Thornden in which Falco agrees to go back with him to Garmund, with whom they find Trystan. Celuein, will you have Garmund supply a description for Trystan? If so, could you have Falco and Thornden walk in on that? Ain't this interlinking fun?
So, you are not going to be writing a post and would just like me to? That should be fine, but I probably won't get around to it until tomorrow. Hope you don't mind.

Quote:
Okay, L&R are/is big but not that big. They're big from the hips down in order to suppose all that extra weight properly, but from the hips up, they're actually a little smaller than a normal human like Thornden, because of the disformity itself. So let's just say that L&R come in at a grand total of 5 feet, 4 inches high, but thicker as a dwarf in the legs. Any questions?
Yes. Do I need to edit the post in which Thornden first spotted R&L? At that time, I was still under the impression that he was some normal, huge fugitive of some sort.

-- Folwren
Old 09-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #1115
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren
How did you know I was going to apologize? I was in the act of mouthing the words (very honestly, too) 'I'm sorry!' when you told me not to, so I didn't finish.
Because you invariably do.

Quote:
And I thought the Lefun and Ritun were excellent names. Made me laugh, any how.
Thanks. Well, for comical virtue, okay.

Quote:
So, you are not going to be writing a post and would just like me to? That should be fine, but I probably won't get around to it until tomorrow. Hope you don't mind.
If I get to the computer before you do, I'll go ahead; but not tonight.

Quote:
Yes. Do I need to edit the post in which Thornden first spotted R&L? At that time, I was still under the impression that he was some normal, huge fugitive of some sort.
No, you don't need to edit. With the big "sack" on his back, and the very large legs, he looked huge.

Good night!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 AM   #1116
Laiudanama
Animated Skeleton

Laiudanama has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Quote:
Celuein, will you have Garmund supply a description for Trystan? If so, could you have Falco and Thornden walk in on that? Ain't this interlinking fun?
Oh yeah, fun times - they walk in to see the oh-so-highly-regarded Trystan apparently holding a knife at Garmund...*evil smiley*

Just to clarify: L&R are not the man Trystan thinks they are (hmm, grammar-wrenching...), he's paranoid about another individual from his recent past catching him up. But it could allow a little revelation, which is always fun
Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #1117
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor of the Peredhil
It's funny... I'd nearly forgotten that we're writing mythology.
Maybe we are, but human twins that share a pair of legs isn't mythology. Check this out.
Old 09-05-2006, 06:33 PM   #1118
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Quote:
Maybe we are, but human twins that share a pair of legs isn't mythology. Check this out.
I'm aware. But the sudden image of a two headed man acted as a catalyst for me. It was nice.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:01 PM   #1119
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

So...does Trystan actually have the knife in his hand?

Elempi, did you have any particular reason for Thornden to stop all abruptly other than surprise at seeing him?

May...hm...never mind, won't be getting a post tonight. Tomorrow. Hope you can manage without me 'till then.

-- Folwren
Old 09-06-2006, 07:14 AM   #1120
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

There. Post placed and Falco and Thornden are back with the two younger chaps.

For everyone's information and to give fair warning, I don't think that Thornden is in a very good mood right now and might explode if anyone does anything bad. (Falco really shouldn't have said what he did if he wanted to make Thornden happy. . . .)

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 09-06-2006 at 07:03 PM.