The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-10-2003, 07:37 PM   #1
moth

Ring ring descritions

How did they come up with the rings for the movie, i wasnt aware of any descriptions in the book, please post if you know of any or if they just created it out of there minds.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:44 PM   #2
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The One ring is described as a smooth band of gold with no markings save the inscription that appears when heated.<P> <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Nenya ( Nen = Water ) is the blue Ring, it has a white stone ( Adamant ) and it is made of Mithril, given to Galadriel by Celebrimbor S.A.1693.<P>Narya ( Nar = Fire ) is the red ring " Ring of fire" with 1 red stone ( Ruby ), this ring was given to Gandalf / Olorin by Cirdan the Shipwright who had it from Gil-Galad who again had recived Narya and Vilya from Celebrimbor. Cirdan thought Gandalf might have better use of it in his quest than himself.<P>Vilya ( Vil = Air ) the most poverfull of the three Elven Rings had a Blue ( Sapphire ) stone, it was made of gold, Elrond halfelven had this Ring given to him by Gil-Galad before he died in the last battle in the last Alliance of Elves and Men.<P> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>From <A HREF="http://www.annalsofarda.dk" TARGET=_blank>www.annalsofarda.dk</A>
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 07:37 AM   #3
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Silmaril

Since this question was asked about the movies, the thread has been moved to the Movies forum. Please continue to read and post there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2003, 09:05 AM   #4
tifo_gcs
Haunting Spirit

tifo_gcs has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

All I know is a piece of trivia that says that the ring used in the scene on Caradhras was 1 meter in diameter to get the shot dimensions like Peter Jackson wanted them. <BR>Personally, I like the fact that the ring has little description. It leaves more to the imagination, which makes the ring into whatever looks most evil to people reading the book.<BR>I also love the screen shots of the ring lying in the palms of hands with all the dust and grime. I can't be more precise, but it touches off something that lacks in the book (sorry if I've strayed a bit)
Old 03-13-2003, 05:58 PM   #5
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What? ok whatever but there are like tons of places where they describe the ring. It is the planiest out of the rings of power. Its an unadorned band of gold with noghing on it except when it is put in fire then it has the inscription on it. And the other rings have discriptions on other book, not in LOTR.
Old 03-13-2003, 06:09 PM   #6
harlindon
Animated Skeleton

harlindon has just left Hobbiton.
Ring

OH yeah here is some more stuff:<P>Narya was set with a ruby.<BR>Nenya was set with a adamant.<BR>Vilya was set with a sapphire.<P>We also know that Nenya was made of mithril and Vilya was made of gold.<BR> there is some more i mean if these discriptions don't give you even i tiny picture of what the rings would have look like well then you have no imagination. (im not talking to anyone just saying this in gengeral so no one get offended)
Old 03-13-2003, 06:13 PM   #7
Tar-Palantir
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tar-Palantir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> the ring used in the scene on Caradhras was 1 meter in diameter <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>No. It was 6" in diameter not 3 feet, it's on the DVD director's commentary.
Tar-Palantir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 10:05 AM   #8
Iarhen
Wight

Iarhen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

You can find pictures of the 3 rings used in the movie in the page called "quintessencial lord of the rings"<P>I find Nenya particularly breathtaking...
Old 04-01-2003, 09:26 PM   #9
Himaran
Ash of Orodruin

Himaran has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Himaran
Sting

Aye, but what about the dwarf rings, and those of men? I suppose they just came up with something...<P>Himaran
Himaran is offline   Reply With Quote