Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Roleplaying > Elvenhome
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-03-2006, 01:52 PM   #361
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
My save is filled as well.
Old 09-03-2006, 04:34 PM   #362
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I posted as Khamir, and just wanted to clarify a couple of things:

First, I left the post rather open. Somehow and at some point in the evening, Khamir and Beloan announce to everyone about the plans, which of course will never come to fruition - but, it means the slave camp will be a little more prepared when the slavers all of a sudden come to get them!

To Nogrod in particular - I left it open in particular for Adnan and Hadith's conversation, as the announcement and my entire post could occur after their conversation is over, or, Khamir and Beloan start to pass the word around and it only reaches Hadith and the two after their conversation is over, or at least, over to us.

I also apologize. That should have been a post for Vror, but, I found myself traveling today, and though I printed out your post, Hilde, my printer messed it up and made numerous parts of it completely unreadable. I'll be working on a post for him tomorrow, though, hopefully. I don't have too much homework, at least that I can recall atm....
Old 09-04-2006, 02:41 AM   #363
Child of the 7th Age
Spirit of the Lonely Star

Child of the 7th Age is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
My save is filled,

Vrór and Carl - I confess I have mercilessly used your characters, making your "hurried sloshing" through knee deep water responsible for the detection first by the owl and then by the guard. If this doesn't fit in with your understanding of the scene, please let me know and I will edit and come up with something else to attract the guards.

I am having a tough time understanding exactly how the hole, tunnel, and creek bank physically fit together. I am always bad visualizing things like this so please correct me if I have misrepresented something.

Dorran - it's your turn now. Use Lindir as needed.
Old 09-04-2006, 04:40 PM   #364
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Durelin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Child - I think it works just fine! And makes things even more interesting.

My understanding of these things isn't that great as well (I am never that good at reading maps and having some sense of direction, much less being able to imagine a situation and have some sense of direction and positioning and the like), so I also ask that anyone who notices anything off in my post for Vrór just speak up.

I apologize for not having my save filled yet (especially since it has been up for at least 24 hours, I think). I felt that a post for Vrór was a little more pressing, but also did not want Hadith and Adnan's conversation to get lost in everything that is going on. I will start to work on a post for Adnan immediately, and will hopefully get it filled later this evening.

Edit:

Save filled!

And (I forgot to note this...) Hilde and Folwren - I am sorry for having Vrór interrupt things! Just let me know if it is a problem, and I can change and/or move my post accordingly.

Last edited by Durelin; 09-04-2006 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-04-2006, 05:30 PM   #365
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
No! Oh, no, it's absolutely fine that Vror interrupted things. . .Kwell wasn't getting very far anyway.

And would any of us, I wonder? All of a sudden, two little men come popping up out of the ground!! I think any one would be surprised! lol!

Just posted for Athwen. May or may not write another, short post of even more surprise for Kwell. Don't wait for me, though, Hilde, if you feel like writing a post first, go ahead.

-- Folwren
Old 09-05-2006, 02:55 AM   #366
Undómë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Undómë has just left Hobbiton.
I filled in my SAVE, #159.

-------

Regin

I had Ungolt be with the 2 sisters and used her only a little. Let me know if an edit is necessary.

-------

Pio

I've had one of the sisters, Mazhg, watch the cat. You can do with that what you will.
Young she was and yet not so. The braids of her dark hair were touched by no frost, her white arms and clear face were flawless and smooth, and the light of stars was in her bright eyes, grey as a cloudless night . . .
Old 09-05-2006, 03:11 AM   #367
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.

Will see what I can do!

~*~ Pio
Old 09-05-2006, 03:01 PM   #368
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Quote:
Originally Posted by Durelin
To Nogrod in particular - I left it open in particular for Adnan and Hadith's conversation, as the announcement and my entire post could occur after their conversation is over, or, Khamir and Beloan start to pass the word around and it only reaches Hadith and the two after their conversation is over, or at least, over to us.
I guess it's best the word reaches Hadith and Adnan only after their discussion. I might try to wrap that discussion up with a short post tomorrow or the day after - the discussion might even end with the word coming to them? Or would you like to continue it after they hear the news? That's possible also, I think...

------
And sorry all you in the fellowship itself! (I'm kind of ashamed to confess this) I just haven't had time to dive in to your adventure so far, a couple of occasional posts not included. In the beginnig I thought that I would read them conveniently just before the different parties meet up. Today I thought of looking... and there surely is a lot of it! I'll update myself on it in the days to come to be at the state of things as a co-writer when the meeting actually happens (my characters surely will be totally ignorant of their personalities, as they need be )!
Old 09-05-2006, 03:35 PM   #369
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
I guess it's best the word reaches Hadith and Adnan only after their discussion. I might try to wrap that discussion up with a short post tomorrow or the day after - the discussion might even end with the word coming to them? Or would you like to continue it after they hear the news? That's possible also, I think...
I did my best to leave it open in my last post for Adnan (the one I filled the save with) for the conversation to continue, and for Adnan's getting up to leave being interrupted, either by Hadith or by Beloan/someone informing them of the decision.

Perhaps it should be a full on *announcement*? Perhaps Hadith and/or Adnan could be interrupted, hearing shouts, and they gather around with the others, while Khamir gives a (very) brief speech?

Who's up for the speech? I wouldn't mind writing another one.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:44 PM   #370
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nogrod
And sorry all you in the fellowship itself! (I'm kind of ashamed to confess this) I just haven't had time to dive in to your adventure so far, a couple of occasional posts not included. In the beginnig I thought that I would read them conveniently just before the different parties meet up. Today I thought of looking... and there surely is a lot of it! I'll update myself on it in the days to come to be at the state of things as a co-writer when the meeting actually happens (my characters surely will be totally ignorant of their personalities, as they need be )!
Haha! Don't apologize. I haven't been reading more than half of the slave's posts. I glance over most of them, but don't read them all...not even close to read them. Sorry.

-- Folwren
Old 09-06-2006, 09:24 AM   #371
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Regin Hardhammer has just left Hobbiton.
Orc returning....

Well, I'm back. Kind of... I am trying to get my schedule under control.

I'm afriad I am worse than either of you because I haven't read any of the posts on either side of the story. I am going to try and catch up with the reading and then do a post.

It will be nice when the two sides of this story (I guess actually 3) come together.

- Regin
Old 09-07-2006, 12:45 AM   #372
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

OK - Rôg has attempted to assist Lindir and Tevildo with his version of a rocky, rising fastball . . .

~*~ Pio

*taking her box of kleenex and going off to bed now . . .
Old 09-07-2006, 01:53 AM   #373
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tevildo has just left Hobbiton.
Thanks for the hand, Piosenniel! I hope you feel better.

Child - If you want any changes for Lindir, let me know.

Where or where is Dorran going?
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.
Old 09-07-2006, 11:03 AM   #374
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Hilde Bracegirdle has just left Hobbiton.
The save for Carl is filled in. Folwen, Tevildo & Durelin please let me know if I handled your characters alright. If not, I will amend.

Sorry that I have been mostly lurking about. Time is still tight, but I have managed to stay fairly current with the 3 groups. Names of characters are still a bit of a problem though! Certainly with the orcs!
Old 09-07-2006, 05:29 PM   #375
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

No problems her at all, Hilde!

I have but one issue, because there are two ways I can think of going about this:

One, I can post for Vror with his suggestions for how to get all of them out successfully - in particular, how to get Azhar out. He'll have two suggestions: one that has Carl going through first, and waiting to help them on the other side; and the second that has Vror going first to help on the other side. I'll leave the post as that, and then you can have Carl decide which plan to go with.

Or, we can go ahead and decide which plan the two will go with before I post, and I can wrap things up with getting Vror, Carl, and the kiddies out of the pit.

What would you prefer? (I don't know how much time you have available for posting, so I definitely wanted to ask.)

And, of course, Carl can have his own plan...he has the start of one, at least.

(And with 'plan,' I'm not talking about a detailed one. Basically I'm talking about Kwell and either Vror or Carl almost...maneuvering...Azhar out, with either the Dwarf or the Hobbit leading the way (since they know the way), and one on the other side to help hoist the girl out (and the others, hehe).)
Old 09-07-2006, 06:00 PM   #376
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

There, I just placed a post.

Durelin, you can place what you were planning on posting for Vror pretty easily, I thinks, as he was going to suggest a way of escaping. Kwell's not very much convinced right now of any possible way out through the water. And I don't, either, to be honest. He voiced my thoughts exactly. An unconscience person breaths underwater and when someone breaths underwater, he dies. If we could somehow get her under and stop her nose and mouth, then possibly...just possibly she'd make it. But the opening is too small.

I'll be willing to hear your plans.

Gotta run.

-- Folwren
Old 09-07-2006, 06:04 PM   #377
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
But the opening is too small.
Perhaps...I can't say I have any positive image of how big it is, unfortunately.

Is some underwater excavation work in order, then?
Old 09-08-2006, 03:39 AM   #378
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

My thought had been that the hole was sufficiently large enough to get the kids through, but small enough that a muscle bound slaver wouldn't fit easily. After all it is big enough for a hobbit with room to spare. It is also not that long of a trip under water. Straight down then maybe 3 to 8 feet or so of rock to travel under. (Hilde pulls out her handy tape measure.)

As for the plan, I had imagined that Vror and his axe might go first, just incase some baddies made it into the cave from Lindir's side. Carl could get in the water to guide Azhar through while keeping her nose and mouth shut or maybe holding something over her face that would trap air. (Like how wet jeans do). Vror might need to pull on his ankles to help them out. Kwell could go last to help lower Azhar into the water, and also so that any guards peeking in might not notice the mischief. Or maybe because he doesn't trust them. But this all isn't the way it has to go, by any means. Just what I had pictured.

After she is out of the water though, is problematic to me. How will our three carry her? As a joint effort? Or is one strong enough to carry her on their own. I know Carl couldn't, and I do hope Kwell might decide to pitch in.

I also thought that the water bath might help rouse Azhar or cool the fever...or make her worse off. Tevildo, how do you think Azhar would react, once in the water?

But for posting. Durelin, I will have some time to write Saturday evening, but after that it will be back to 15 or 30 minutes here and there. I'm up for any senerio really, but might have to put in a save if my turn at bat comes up after tomorrow.

Got to run! Going to be late for work...eek.

Last edited by Hilde Bracegirdle; 09-08-2006 at 05:02 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 07:29 AM   #379
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
After she is out of the water though, is problematic to me. How will our three carry her? As a joint effort? Or is one strong enough to carry her on their own. I know Carl couldn't, and I do hope Kwell might decide to pitch in.
Remember that you have a good sized Elf waiting at the entrance to the tunnel. I really don't think it would be too much of a problem for Lindir to grab the girl, cradle her in his arms, and make his way across the plains. It will slow down the speed of their exit, however. There is another possibility. As I will post this morning, there are now a lot of horses running loose on the plains. It's conceivable that at least Lindir could do what Tevildo had Dorran do--- grab at least one of them and mount up. He could race off and head for the meeting point sooner since it's clear that Azhar needs medical help.

Getting out of the tunnel and and through the water is another matter, as my character can't get through the hole.
Old 09-08-2006, 08:53 AM   #380
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

I think I have a solution no one could possibly argue with. Just give me a few minutes and I will return....

EDIT....Post done. Azhar is up and kind of moving. Let's get out of the pit! You are welcome to use my character in your posts getting up to the surface. Azhar will be insistent she is "fine" but she is really pretty weak and wobbly, and is still burning up with fever. she will definitely need some help.
Now Tevildo was a mighty cat--the mightiest of all--and possessed of an evil spirit,...and he was in Melko's constant following; and that cat had all cats subject to him, and he and his subjects were the chasers and getters of meat for Melko's table.

Last edited by Tevildo; 09-08-2006 at 10:08 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 10:07 AM   #381
Hilde Bracegirdle
Relic of Wandering Days

Ho, ho! Problem solved!
Old 09-08-2006, 10:49 AM   #382
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Okay, Tevildo, good job. Her being awake solves a lot of the problem. The rest can be solved by the other three helping her. All she'll have to do is hold her breath and not panic as we push and pull her through the hole.

One thing that may be interesting in the story - Kwell and Azhar have probably never been submerged completely in water. I have heard of five year old kids (much less 12 or 13 or however old Azhar is) being terrified of baths, much less being put under water, under rock, in cold, unknown water. Is this going to be an issue? Do we want to ignore the fact that realistically, either one of them could be terrified to death, and just go over it without comment?

Whatever you all want.

Mom needs the phone, so I've got to run.

EDIT: Never mind. Azhar apparently has been swimming. Well, Kwell probably hasn't. But I don't know if it's quite in his character to be afraid of water. Though I can still see being scared of cold, dark water that goes underneath rock for a little way. . .

I'm not intending to put a post up yet, so Durelin or Hilde, please do write.

-- Folwren

Last edited by Folwren; 09-08-2006 at 11:00 AM.
Old 09-08-2006, 12:06 PM   #383
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azar really did get away with murder while she was a slave because of her privileged postion running errands for the guards. Yes, she does know how to swim. And wouldn't it be interesting if the weakened girl was more adept in the water than her somewhat frightened male companion? But that is up to Folwren.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:10 PM   #384
Child of the 7th Age

My earlier save is filled. Imak is having the men round up the horses and says he plans for them all to ride out tonight and tonight. In actuality, the slavers will have a much harder time herding in those animals. Imak will have to be content with mounting up a smaller group to head to the slavers' camp and have a look at things and then decide to attack the next night (as we already decided).

For the moment, however, the fellowship has a more immediate problem. Imak and three slavers are on foot running towards the slave pit. You guys had better get a move on. I do expect a brief skirmish as you get away, unless someone objects.

Does anyone have something that could be used as a weapon in a pinch, maybe from those tools you're carrying? Perhaps Kwell will want to fight back against the brutes who've captured him?

BTW, Aiwendil has returned and will be waiting with Lindir and Rôg at the mouth of the tunnel. You're welcome to mention him when you emerge from the pit. I just didn't want to do a separate post.
Old 09-08-2006, 01:33 PM   #385
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Ah, thank you, Telvido.

And now I'll get to posting...

Edit:

Posted! Please of course let me know if anything needs to be changed. I do hope it is alright that I had Lindir peeking in to see what on Middle-earth was taking them so long, Child.

And sorry I didn't answer your question yet...

I guess Carl is stuck trying to get out of there before Imak and his gang show up at the pit. And then I suppose they will all run into the baddies on the escape out of the tunnel with Lindir?

Vror had to take his axe with him, and he has his hammer, as well. Surely one of them has a small pick axe type deal (chisel, maybe, but that seems the wrong word...), so I think Carl and Kwell could be armed at least, probably Azhar too.

Last edited by Durelin; 09-08-2006 at 04:23 PM.
Old 09-09-2006, 10:59 AM   #386
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

My save is filled. I am sorry it is so looong. Lindir had better watch out!
Old 09-10-2006, 12:03 PM   #387
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Posted again...Vrór's nerves have been stretched a little too far...the inevitable battle will be difficult for him.

I didn't plunge into it yet...thought someone else might like to.

I hope everything in my post is alright. Let me know if anything needs to be changed, and/or if I should add to it and bring them into the battle.

I also hope that everyone can realistically use their 'weapons.'
Old 09-10-2006, 02:26 PM   #388
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

What exactly is happening next? Are we going to be sticking around the embankment there or make as quick a dash as we can back to the horses to ride off?

-- Folwren
Old 09-10-2006, 03:39 PM   #389
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
I have basically written an answer to both Hadith (to Adnan) and Gwerr (to Ishkur). I just have to get to sleep about now... I will try to send my posts in 24 hours to both of them...
Old 09-10-2006, 06:40 PM   #390
Durelin
Estelo dagnir, Melo ring

Quote:
What exactly is happening next? Are we going to be sticking around the embankment there or make as quick a dash as we can back to the horses to ride off?
The latter...though in our attempt to make a break for it, I believe Imak and the men with him will catch up to us, or we will run into them.

Basically the plan was go in, get the kids, and get out...like all good rescue plans.

Sorry for the confusion and lack of clarity!

And, of course, correct me if I have the plans all wrong, Child.
Old 09-10-2006, 07:20 PM   #391
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Alright, save filled.

Let me know if I covered the situation okay, Tevildo.
Old 09-11-2006, 09:54 AM   #392
Child of the 7th Age

Quote:
Basically the plan was go in, get the kids, and get out...like all good rescue plans.
Sounds good to me! I am definitely in favor of a quick dash.
Old 09-11-2006, 10:41 AM   #393
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Looks fine! I've sent you a question or two in a pm. I don't plan to fill my save till late tonight. If I don't get an answer by then, I'll do the best I can and edit later as needed.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:57 AM   #394
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Thumbs up

Save filled....

Brinniel, feel free to use my character as needed to get the two of us back to where the fellowship is (unless you decide I should just crawl back by myself - ) and join in the fighting and the flight....

If you'd like me to edit anything, just let me know.

Yeah! We've at least joined up with one slave.
Old 09-12-2006, 09:33 AM   #395
Brinniel
Reflection of Darkness

Location: Polishing the stars. Well, somebody has to do it; they're looking a little bit dull.
Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Brinniel is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Looks good.

I'm not sure if I'll be able to fill the save tonight, as I have my first four page paper due tomorrow. But I will try my hardest to get it filled within a day or two.
Old 09-12-2006, 12:43 PM   #396
Regin Hardhammer
Shade of Carn Dûm

Piosenniel, Undomie

My post is up for Ungolt. If you see any problems, let me know.

- Regin
Old 09-12-2006, 03:10 PM   #397
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

As soon as Piosenniel and Brinniel have filled in their saves, I'll write a post for Kwell.

Also, Tevildo, is Dorran really going to be able to fight?

-- Folwren
Old 09-12-2006, 03:32 PM   #398
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Regin - I have answered your post somewhat along the lines we discussed. Hopefully in a way that is okay with you. Sorry it took more time I initially thought it would take.

And slave-escapees in the camp. Just too full days right now to be active enough... I try to get my "Hadith answers Adnan" -post up asap (possibly in just an hour, or then tomorrow), but don't wait for it if you wish to move things forwards.

Sorry.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:15 AM   #399
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

SAVE filled - #176.
Old 09-13-2006, 11:36 AM   #400
Tevildo
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Also, Tevildo, is Dorran really going to be able to fight?
Probably not. But he feels compelled by duty to try. There is a personal reason why he is so anxious to get back. If he does not do so, Athwen may be a bit worried when the other members of the fellowship show up minus Dorran.