The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2002, 06:06 AM   #41
Telchar
Stonehearted Dwarf Smith

Telchar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For some weird reason the ride of the Rohirrim when they enter the Pelennor Field and the heroic deeds of Eowyn and Merry - the grief of Eomer and the death of Theoden, always seem to bring a tear to my eye - Im not sure why - but it does. It doesn't make me sad - just the tear. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]
Old 09-27-2002, 06:34 AM   #42
Turambar
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Turambar has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Turambar
Sting

I agree that all of the scenes mentioned in this thread are very touching -- I would add:
  • Hurin's sad reunion with Morwen
  • Finrod's farewell to Beren
  • Huor meeting Turgon at the Nirnaeth

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: Turambar ]
Old 09-27-2002, 09:00 AM   #43
charly
Haunting Spirit

charly has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The whole inredibly sad story of Lúthien& Beren made me cry my eyes out... then, of course Thechoises of master Samwise
and stangly a part of Galadriels mirrorr:
Quote:
I will diminish, and go into the west and remain Galadriel
I mean, she´s practically saying, her power is gone and she knows it. I find that very touchuing, because Galadriel was so mighty for so long and now she admits her power´s faded.
And finally, a scene that sometimes makes me want to cry because I´m so happy is the Faramir/ Eowyn story.
Quote:
and she looked at him, and her winter faded and she understood.
Or at least think that´s the quote... can´t really remeber. Ok, that´s about it.... but I do agree with most of the said stuff.

[ September 27, 2002: Message edited by: charly ]
Old 09-27-2002, 12:01 PM   #44
Orodoliel
Haunting Spirit

Orodoliel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I think the most touching part is 'A Conspiracy Unmasked' and Merry and Pippin reveal they are coming along too. It brings a tear to my eye each and every time i read it.
Old 09-30-2002, 06:29 PM   #45
Finandriel

Sting

I love the part where Gimli, Frodo, and Sam look into Kheled-zaram and see the crown of Durin, waiting until he wakes from sleep.
Old 10-03-2002, 05:52 PM   #46
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Well, I know this is late but i just got in last night and i love reading these things. I cried reading alot of the other's moments. Mine are when Sam thinks Frodo is dead after Shelob attacks, when Pippin is smashed under the troll, when Merry returns after fighting the Nazgul, and of course the enind when Frodo leaves. I did cry some in the appendixs when I read of the others deaths and partings.
Old 10-03-2002, 06:56 PM   #47
Melichus
Haunting Spirit

Melichus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I was moved by the whole section of TTT in which Frodo and Sam were going through the pass of Cirith Ungol and later when they encountered Shelob (a pity I looked at the end of the book and so knew that Frodo would live...). And, of course, the part where Frodo and Gandalf leave and Sam, Merry and Pippin return to the Shire.

I was also saddened by the last sentence of the trilogy--"well, I'm back"--because then I knew that I had to leave Middle Earth and that it would never be filled with quite as much wonder and emotion as when I first read it. Those three words just seemed so final...
"The other [theme] had now achieved a unity of its own; but it was loud, and vain, and endlessly repeated; and it had little harmony...and it essayed to drown the other music by the violence of its voice, but it seemed that its most triumphant notes were taken by the other and woven into its own solemn pattern..."
Melichus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2002, 10:08 PM   #48
Ar-Luman
Animated Skeleton

Ar-Luman has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

For me it was the departure at the Grey Havens. It was then that I saw the quest completed and all was finished. I just hate finality. I finally had the sense of the fellowship truly breaking and things would never be the same. Even though, that with the exception of Frodo the remaining of the fellowship hung around and still had relationships, you knew that all was coming to a complete end. Also, I personally knew that the book was ending and I was finally having to leave such a fantastic place as M.E and come back to reality.

But you know what they say... I good things must come to an end....
Old 10-04-2002, 08:58 AM   #49
Eowyn of Ithilien
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn of Ithilien has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

The last pages of the story of Aragorn and Arwen, where he dies and she suddenly becomes old, and lays herself down to die among the elanor and niphredil of Lorien.
But of bliss and glad life there is little to be said, before it ends; as works fair and wonderful, while still they endure for eyes to see, are their own record, and only when they are in peril or broken for ever do they pass into song.
Eowyn of Ithilien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2002, 04:00 PM   #50
Aradaewen
Haunting Spirit

Aradaewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Aradaewen Send a message via AIM to Aradaewen
Silmaril

I dunno if someone mentioned it, but I think the saddest part was when Turin fights the dragon (I don't have the Silmarillion with me) and falls. Then his sister/wife thinks he's dead, throws herself in the river, and when he wakes up and finds her gone, he commits suicide. *sniffsniff* Romeo and Juliet deal here...
Old 10-04-2002, 04:04 PM   #51
Elenna
A Ghostly Light

Elenna has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Elenna
Silmaril

I think it's when Frodo leaves Sam, Merry, and Pippin at the Gray Havens, and everyone's crying...

Including me.