The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM   #3201
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meneltarmacil View Post
Also, dinosaurs? Is the Dagor Dagorath going to involve dinosaur cavalry? It really should.
And pterosaur Air Force as well.
Old 06-10-2012, 04:42 PM   #3202
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

Now back to your regularly scheduled Phalian.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

Things are getting pretty crazy up here in The Downer's printing offices. Something special really should be done for issue #300, but we're not sure what yet. If you want to do something, please do! There's only so much our vast staff can do.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:15 PM   #3203
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Galadriel55 is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
An article about the phantom, for a change!

And I'd take that gold if it was chocolate! What are you people thinking?! It's like being in Willy Wonka's!
Old 06-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #3204
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
I've been misquoted! I've smelled the phantom's head. He has a nice, lovely smelling head, I assure you...
Old 06-17-2012, 04:03 PM   #3205
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Hookbill the Goomba is lost in the dark paths of Moria.

Don't forget that if you've lost track of The Phantom and Alien, you can look back though the...

The animation is coming along! It might even be ready before the moot!
Yeah, sorry everyone. I guess I didn't realise how labour intensive animating was. And it is about 5 minutes long, which for someone whose barely animated before is a tall order. We'll see how it turns out, though.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:02 PM   #3206
Blind Guardian
Guardian of the Blind

Blind Guardian is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Plot? There's a PLOT?!?

Also: tea.

'Nuff said.
Tom was poet bot. Tom only sold soul for art. Tom suffered. Mith mithed Tom
Blind Guardian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:13 PM   #3207
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Hats hats hats hats
Cats cats cats cats
That's that's that's that's
How the poem goes.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:34 PM   #3208
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Leaf I see you have discovered my secret love affair with the dinosaur exhibit at the zoo.

Quote:
New means of communication is "hit" with youths between 13 and 12.
Is that months, years, days, millennia, centimetres, pounds? Between 13 and 12 what?

Did you see the halo of light around me? Obviously tea is heavenly and since I am the purveyor of it, I am also heavenly.

Actually it wasn't chamomile "tea" (it's not a tea, you know, unless it comes from the Camellia sinensis plant), it was a pu-erh. And it wasn't my fault that I ran out so soon. Agan stole all of my tea yesterday despite the fact that I just got a new shipment in last Tuesday. Now I have no more tea and the Downs with all be forced to forlornly go about without their daily tea. My evil scheme to make the entire Barrow-Downs into tea addicts is almost complete. It's not indoctrination, it's enlightenment!

Stay tuned for a word from our sponsor:
Come to TeaGEW's fabulous shop for tantalising your taste buds with our quality teas! They are sure to surprise and delight. Come smell the aroma of our selections! We are located between Dead-Beats Cafe and The Wight House Furniture Emporium on Barrow Way near the Downs' Centre. We're sure to delight.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:16 AM   #3209
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Where exactly do we post our pictures these days, considering there's no thread for them and the Barrow-Downs Photo Page hasn't been updated since 2007?

Considering my last photo was submitted way back in 2005 or so, I need to stay current in case someone should happen to interview me on here.

(for good reasons, mind you. I had nothing to do with the Giant Sloth Incident.)
Old 06-19-2012, 03:12 AM   #3210
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Quote:
Where exactly do we post our pictures these days, considering there's no thread for them and the Barrow-Downs Photo Page hasn't been updated since 2007?
All BDers who add me on Facebook run the risk of appearing in the Downer.
Old 06-19-2012, 05:25 AM   #3211
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:

Considering my last photo was submitted way back in 2005 or so, I need to stay current in case someone should happen to interview me on here.

(for good reasons, mind you. I had nothing to do with the Giant Sloth Incident.)
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/showthread.php?t=11909

Though, as Hooky said, he gets all the pictures from the Book of Faces.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:40 PM   #3212
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Ah, then I must resurrect the old thread as I have no Facebook account.

Not that I have anything to hide, of course. And even if I did, it would definitely not have anything to do with giant sloths. Nope. Not at all.
Old 06-19-2012, 06:54 PM   #3213
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Quote:
Ah, then I must resurrect the old thread
It's not that old...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel
...as I have no Facebook account.
*hi-fives Menel* join the club.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM   #3214
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
All BDers who add me on Facebook run the risk of appearing in the Downer.
Don't I know it. I have been in The Downer a lot of times since Hookbill and I became Facebook friends in 2008 or 2009 (or whenever it was). Whenever there is a Downs meetup and there are pictures on FB because of it, Hookbill will milk it for a month. He is relentless.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:23 PM   #3215
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Animation update: it's going well and should be done before the moot, hopefully. Legate, is your brother still willing to do the music? If so we can send a rough cut to him for scoring some time soon, if he's still up for it.
Post-pilot, we're thinking of doing some shorter animations. Perhaps some Volume 1 style quick fire jokes, or whatever. These shouldn't take as long or require as much intense work and will hopefully get the wheels greased enough for us to tackle a bigger series later on. I'll probably take suggestions, too. That way we can improve the whole process and get the main series ready at a higher quality.
Hopefully...
Old 07-01-2012, 04:55 PM   #3216
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Special thanks to the phantom for the second story with all it's goodness and niceness and high-fiveness!!

So, next week is the special, spectacular, 300th edition of The Downer!! I hope you're all as excited as I am panicked!! If you have stories or things you'd like to be in it, let me know some time this week and I'll do what I can.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:51 PM   #3217
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Fortunately for us fancy types, I was able to jump ahead into fiction and the future to compare those two fine gentlemens' makeup products.

I submit to you the results and will let you decide which you like best.

Oddwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 04:31 AM   #3218
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I will be launching a men's fragrance series soon, it is in the final development stages, right now under the working title "Beef it up"

In other news:

Rune's Quality Beef is contemplating a more active branding strategy, due to greediness this campaign will probably be highly unoriginal and followed by several lawsuits. The company is thinking along the lines of using model photos of Gollum and/or a drowsy badger, accompanied by a catchy slogan, preferably in German...

Although nothing has been decided yet, the preferred slogans are said to be:

Das Lard
Lard We Can
Yes We Lard
Wir Leben Lard
Katzenjammer Für Die Welt
So Ein Ding Muss Ich Auch Haben
The Custard People Are Attacking!

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2012, 08:01 AM   #3219
Pitchwife
Wight of the Old Forest

Location: Unattended on the railway station, in the litter at the dancehall
Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.Pitchwife is a guest of Galadriel in Lothlórien.
I Have Had a Long Life and a Lard
Old 07-08-2012, 04:35 PM   #3220
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The Door of night had been shattered. Melkor had returned to Middle Earth. The Dagor Dagorath raged across the world, breaking Arda apart as the Valar battled day and night against the Dark Lord and all his little goblins.
Turin Turambar dealt the final blow, breaking Morgoth once and for all.
Then the Pelóri Mountains were be levelled, the three Silmarils recovered from the Earth, sea, and sky, and Fëanor's spirit was released from the halls of Mandos to give them to Yavanna, who broke them and rekindled the light of the Two Trees. Then Fëanor revealed the substance by which he made the Silmarils; plastic.

Then the time came for the Second Music of the Ainur! And that's when everything changed.

In the ruins of the old Middle Earth, a lonely Barrow Wight stands, his hand upon the hilt of a rusty sword and his dead eyes glaring into the fallen stones of his home. The BWH wipes away a single tear from his skull-face as he reaches into the dust to retrieve a fragment of paper. One by one, he find more fragments until he is able to pull together a complete page from the final Downer Newspaper of Middle Earth Mk 1...

Interestingly enough, he also found a complete and undamaged episode of the loveable and confusing duo, the Phantom and Alien.

Wasn't that fun, folks?

The Downer will have a rest for a few weeks, I think. I'll do some other papers for a while, The Barrow, The Dead Times, and maybe some random magazine or something. If anyone wants to submit their own guest paper, PM me and let me know.

But, blimey! 300 papers! It's almost as if I've achieved something.
Old 07-08-2012, 08:37 PM   #3221
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Oddwen is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.

Many congratulations!

And as promised...puppets!

Old 07-09-2012, 03:51 PM   #3222
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Woohooooooooooo!!! Congratulations!

Lovely, Oddy. ^^
Old 07-09-2012, 05:28 PM   #3223
Rune Son of Bjarne
Odinic Wanderer

Location: Under the Raven banner, between tall Odin and white Christ!
Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Rune Son of Bjarne is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Send a message via AIM to Rune Son of Bjarne Send a message via MSN to Rune Son of Bjarne
I was sort of expecting a poem dedicated to me... it is an anniversary issue after all.

Rune Son of Bjarne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #3224
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Part one of our series of alternate newspapers.

The Dead Times is an old and well established paper that attempts to appear sophisticated and high brow, but almost always ends up being silly and deranged. Reporting on important and pressing issues like lunch and beards, it sets itself up as the number one spot for irrelevant news that is made to sound more relevant than the end of the world!

And now back to your regularly scheduled Phalian.

I'm drawing Volume 4 to a close, soon. But do not despair, my friends! Volume 5 is just around the corner. I've realised some of my mistakes with Volume 4 (too little planning and not enough attention to detail), but the next series is going to, I think, rival volume 3 in terms of scope and goodness!

So far, all I can tell you as that the title will be;

THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN'S JOURNEY THROUGH TIME

Questions will be answered! Adventures will be had! Insanity will be welcomed! All your favourite P&A things will be in it! And possibly Dennis, too!
Old 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #3225
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookbill the Goomba View Post
THE PHANTOM AND ALIEN'S JOURNEY THROUGH TIME
They don't get their hands on a TARDIS, do they? Or a Time Turner? That would be all wrong.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:46 PM   #3226
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Agan looks more of a Dwarf than Kili. Lol.

Phantom ate lunch! No kiddin'!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
They don't get their hands on a TARDIS, do they? Or a Time Turner? That would be all wrong.
They already got their hands on a watch and a hat. They don't need a TARDIS.
Old 07-17-2012, 01:52 PM   #3227
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galadriel55 View Post
Agan looks more of a Dwarf than Kili. Lol.

Phantom ate lunch! No kiddin'!!!

They already got their hands on a watch and a hat. They don't need a TARDIS.
They aren't cool enough for a sports car. :P
Old 07-17-2012, 04:18 PM   #3228
Nogrod
Flame of the Ainulindalë

Location: Wearing rat's coat, crowskin, crossed staves in a field behaving as the wind behaves
Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.Nogrod is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via MSN to Nogrod
Concerning the late The Downers' edition I feel obliged to stress one word from a headline appearing there.

"Nogrod May Not Actually be Iluvatar in a Mask."

Just to keep you guessing...

May The Downer rest in peace until it's time for a resurgence.
Nogrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 04:27 PM   #3229
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

PART TWO of our journey through alternate newspapers on the Downs! This week, everyone's least favourite tabloid rag, proudly reporting from the very gutter of the press, it's The Barrow! Home of Justin Durham and scandals.

Next week we'll be having a visit from The Financial Wight, a know-it-all paper that thinks that anything about money must be newsworthy.
I'll do my best to prepare some papers for during Britainmoot but I make no promises. There should be an internet connection, so things should happen nicely... We shall see, though.
Old 07-22-2012, 05:51 PM   #3230
Galadriel55
Blossom of Dwimordene

Tee hee! I love cheese!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:32 PM   #3231
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

PART THREE of our journey through alternate newspapers on the Downs! This week, everyone's favourite paper for bankers! The Financial Wight!
Thanks to the phantom for the second story!

Right, this week I will try and make some Newspapers that will be posted while I'm on holiday. Also some P&As. I'm making some plans for the finale of volume 4 and that'll be happening in the next three or four weeks. After which I'll be wanting some guest comics if anyone fancies giving it a go! Anything from a regular Phalian, to a Fungoltch und Schmurt, or a Sir Phantom and Mr Alan.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:14 AM   #3232
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Psh. Why are there never articles about me these days?
Old 08-05-2012, 04:03 PM   #3233
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

PART FOUR of our journey through alternate newspapers on the Downs! This week, we journey into the future! Yes, the future of the Barrow Downs! A world of technology and possibly other things. And Robots.
Thanks to the phantom for the second story!

Sadly, there will be no newspaper next week, but the following week we'll be back to the good old Downer regular! Hope you enjoy that!
Old 08-26-2012, 04:47 PM   #3234
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

The children sang, the old folk danced, the people in the middle were slightly confused. But nothing could hold back the

There will be a few more P&As this season, followed by a short mini series, and then we'll head into volume 5!! So look out!! It feels good to be back doing these things again.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:54 PM   #3235
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

I hope the new series has more jellysplosions! Grant us jellysplosions fifthwith! Fivesooth!

Old 09-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #3236
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Sorry guys, but the Downer Newspaper and this week's P&A will probably not come until later in the week. My computer died and I can't get my software to work on the emergency back up computer I'm using. Hopefully I should be back with a working thing by tomorrow, so I'll see what I can do.

In the meantime, anyone who wants to post an article to the thread is free to do so.
Old 09-02-2012, 12:37 PM   #3237
Oddwen
Drummer in the Deep

Leaf

NO PAPER TODAY, SAYS PAPER GUY

by "Pickles" McSpankypants

Shock, horror and ambivalence swept the Downs today as alleged editor of the extremely unpopular "Barrow Downs Newspaper" announced via newspaper that there would be no newspaper today. It's about time somebody swept around here, it's getting grave-dusty.

Hookwilliam Fitzgoomba claimed that computer problems were to blame for the lack of gossip, slander and enraging lies that the population is accustomed to reading with their morning meal. Sources say that they saw sea-hag Aganzir attempt to bite the offending computers to death, but Sources is a silly person who knows just about as much as Jon Snow, because computers can't bleed or feel pain.

"This is disappointing," said one the phantom. "How are people supposed to read my own articles about how great I am? Looks like I have to go out and put leaflets on everyone's car windshields again."

"I'm for it!" said a man who looked like the phantom wearing a fake mustache. "How else will people realize how much they miss reading about the phantom unless they're not reading about the phantom?"

"I sure am going to miss reading about the phantom," said a man who looked like the phantom wearing a dress and long-haired wig. "Anyone else? Anyone? Anyone? Please notice me!"

the phantom could not be reached for additional comments. We didn't even try, really, he looked so happy drawing up his propaganda posters.

Advertisers have begun lining up outside the door of the Downer's main offices, demanding remuneration and various measures of Hookbill's flesh.

"As far as I know, we're all paid up," explained Rune of Rune's Quality Beef fame. "I just thought my main office could use a bit of decoration, and I decided that a human foot would be gorgeous on top of the pile of rotted Beef."

Eonwe, spokesman for "Let Them Eat Lard" revealed that he actually owed Hookbill money, but chose to line up because he believed that beating up people for no reason was "Fun For The Whole Family(tm)!".

The Barrow-Wight Himself ordered Moderators to shut down their usual weekend "Cleanup Squad Response Team" in response.

"Usually on Paper day, tempers flare, riots start in the street, volcanoes erupt, blood is mingled with milk and honey, the usual apocalyptic signs," explained The Books Moderator Estelyn Telcontar in a press conference that nobody attended. "We were pleased to see this morning that everybody was behaving rationally and politely in all forums and sub-forums. Posts in the Chapter-by-Chapter discussions have doubled! The Moderator team is hosting a huge party of special magnificence that nobody is invited to in celebration. It won't be all fun and games though. We will have to make a plan of attack for if the Paper returns. We're hoping we can get the Eagles to transport Hookbill's printing press to the Cracks of Doom for us."

The Eagles are currently on tour in the US and could not be reached for comment.

"The rumors that my computer is working just fine and that I spent my usual writing hours watching television are wrong! Unfounded! You can't prove anything!" Hookbill then attempted to weld his door shut using a sonic screwdriver. The police watched and laughed. He is now in custody and will appear in court after lunch.

And now for your irregularly scheduled Phantom and Alien fill-in.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:11 PM   #3238
Bęthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bęthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Superb coverage, Oddwen. It's just like Hooky posted the latest edition. Except not.

A report on Fifty Shades of Gandalf the Grey in Sherwood Forest would have rounded out the edition quite nicely but I understand that the auteur has writer's cramp.
Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #3239
Hookbill the Goomba
Alive without breath

Thumbs up

Thanks Oddwen! You will be rewarded. WITH DEATH. Oh, wait... never mind...

But, my computer problems appear to be fixed for now. So here's the news...

Not long to go now with this P&A volume!
Old 09-05-2012, 12:02 PM   #3240
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
Hmmm...that sounds like a good idea. Sally you wouldn't happen to have a WW game coming soon? Or, wait, I think i'll just take over Kath's.

Last edited by Boromir88; 09-05-2012 at 12:42 PM.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote