The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2006, 09:33 AM   #1
Ghazi
Haunting Spirit

Ghazi has just left Hobbiton.
Question Edain who remained in Middle-Earth

What happened to the Edain who decided to remain in Middle-Earth at the beginning of the Second Age? I remember reading that not all of the Edain chose to remove to Numenor. It seems they must have perished. The only Men that remained in Eriador at the end of the Third Age were Dunedain (Rangers) and the Men of Bree who were descended from the Men of the White Mountains who migrated north in the Second Age.
Ghazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 02:56 PM   #2
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
We know of a meeting of Aldarion and his Crew with some Edain near the Lake Nenuial in the early second age. I would think that the Edain of old would be absorbed into the community of Arnor very soon i9n the late Second Age.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 08:38 AM   #3
lathspell
Regenerating Ringkeeper

lathspell has just left Hobbiton.
What about the people of Tharbad and the Dunlendings? Perhaps many tribes and villages were living their still peacefully, until they had to flee or fight the Witchking when he came forth from Angmar.

lathspell
'Yes, I, Gandalf the Grey,' said the wizard solemnly. 'There are many powers in the world, for good or for evil. Some are greater than I am. Against some I have not yet been measured. But my time is coming.'
lathspell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 09:48 AM   #4
Tuor in Gondolin
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tuor in Gondolin has been trapped in the Barrow!
Send a message via Yahoo to Tuor in Gondolin
I seem to recall a note somewhere about them
returning east and either becoming the peoples
in Rhovannion or merging with them. (The Rohirrim
were, I believe, their kin who never went into Beleriand).
Old 04-28-2006, 10:28 AM   #5
Aiwendil
Late Istar

Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Aiwendil is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
In "Of Dwarves and Men" (HoMe XII), Tolkien says:

Quote:
Thus many of the forest-dwellers of the shorelands south of Ered Luin, especially in Minhiriath, were as later historians recognized the kin of the Folk of Haleth; but they became bitter enemies of the Numenoreans, because of their ruthless treatment and their devastation of the forests, and this hatred remained unappeased in their descendants, causing them to join with any enemies of Numenor. In the Third Age their survivors were the people known in Rohan as the Dunlendings.
And of course, the people of Ghan-buri-ghan were descendants of the Druedain who lived in Brethil in the First Age.
Aiwendil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2006, 01:32 PM   #6
Findegil
King's Writer

Findegil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
To be precise, the Drūg of Duradan Forest and Daurwaith Iaur were not decendents from the Druedain of Beleriand which lived in Brethil. Both groups had the same origin. But the Duradan of Brethil had left te area around the Bay of Belfalas during the first Age and wandered with folk that became later known as the People of Haleth into the West, while the greater part of the Drūg did never leave the are
of later Gondor. But later they were pushed by incommers from the low-lands into the White Mountains.

Respectfully
Findegil
Findegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:18 AM   #7
Snowdog
Emperor of the South Pole

Snowdog is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

It is assumed that the few Edain that didn't go to Numenor went back east to join their kin who didn't make the journey all the way to Beleriand.
Snowdog is offline   Reply With Quote