The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 01-16-2003, 07:29 AM   #1
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting Wild men

Who are those guys with mud on their faces, in TTT? Woses or Dunlendnings? Either way, they were not correctly portayed.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 11:37 AM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

Dunlendings. And do you think PJ wants people on his back about having dark skinned bad guys in his movie? I'm sure he didn't want the backlash of having swarthy people attacking blonde haired, blue eyed people. There's already discontented rumblings about the orcs.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:22 PM   #3
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Pipe

They are Dunlendings in the book. But, I was looking at a TTT picture book in the shop the other day and the text accompanying the pictures of Saruman's "Wild Men" referred to them as Woses. <P>Is that just an error in the picture book, or were they supposed to be Woses in the film (the credits might reveal)? I ask, because I have heard that Ghan-buri-ghan is in the cast list for Rotk.
Old 01-16-2003, 02:26 PM   #4
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Well, If P.J hadn't noticed:<P>1) The Harfoots have nut brown skin.<P>2) The men of Bree are dark skinned.<P>Well there are many, many good dark skinned people in M-E!

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Old 01-17-2003, 12:17 AM   #5
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Pipe

Well, regardless of that, it still wouldn't look good for PJ to have the bad, mean dark Dunlendings attack the poor, innocent fair Rohirrim. He wouldn't have time to go into detail about why the Dunlendings are serving Saruman, or the aftermath of Helm's Deep where the Dunlendings are being pardoned. So, if you can't take time to go into that sort of depth for marginal characters, it's better not to make such a blatant steriotype of dark skin = baddies, light = good.<P>As to Bree...this is a whole nother discussion, but PJ made Bree look sinister and dangerous, so to put some dark skinned people there would have had the same effect.<P>And since Tolkien must have mentioned the Harfoots' hue all of once, it's easily overlooked. PJ probably just formed his own mental picture, without meaning to slight anybody. After all, Tolkien didn't go on and on about Sam being dark. Or maybe I'm just making excuses because I overlooked it, too. In my own defense, I never form that strong of a mental picture for the particular hair color, skin tone, etc. of characters in stories, anyway. Not even when they're my own stories—if you get one hint as to their appearence from me you're lucky. (Hey, I'm working on it, honest).<P>Anyway, what am I rambling about? Oh yes: PJ is put in a tight spot by Tolkien, with ol' Tollers stronger descriptions of the bad dark guys than the good dark guys. I fully expected the Southrons, Easterlings, and Dunlendings to be fairer than in the book. Now, if Gahn-buri-Gahn and his people are white as snow I'd be surprised.<P>Oh, and just to add, it makes sense for those Wild Men to be Dunlendings because in FotR Legolas says, "Crebain from Dunland!" So Dunland is included in the landscape of Middle-earth for the movie.
Old 01-17-2003, 06:45 AM   #6
VercingetoriX

Sting

First of all I seem to recall that the Dunlendings were a major part of the assualt on Helm's Deep. He wrote that they had sable shields and high helms but i saw none of that.
Old 01-18-2003, 10:13 AM   #7
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

They also missed out Erkenbard and the Huorns.

"Life is so beautiful"-&gt;Don Vito Corleone
Old 01-18-2003, 09:37 PM   #8
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
Shield

I always pictured the Dunlendings as caucasian as well, especially considering their geographical location. I thought the only dark-skinned people were from Harad? Can anyone actually back up the black Dunlending theory?<P>I fail to see the logic in the Dunlending scene in the movie. They rabbit <B>on</B> and <B>on</B> about 'saving time' (the false idol Saturn), and then introduce the Dunlendings, only to have them not show up at Helm's Deep. Add to this the fact that Saruman's servants are all orcs (apart from Wormtongue), unlike the book, and you're really just portraying him wrongly. I think they should have either use the Dunlendings as they were intended, or not introduced them at all.