The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 04-26-2003, 10:13 AM   #1
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting Arkenstone???

Some people think that the Arkenstone was the Silmaril, but in previous threads, there was to much evidence for me to believe it. If it wasn't a silmaril, what was it?
Old 04-26-2003, 11:40 AM   #2
Lyra Greenleaf
The Diaphanous Dryad

Lyra Greenleaf has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

It can't be a silmaril, one of them was sailing around the heavens and the other two were in Morgoth's clutches, until Feanor's sons got them and then then cast one into a "fiery chasm" the other into the sea. How would they get to Erebor? Anyway it's said to be beautiful but it didn't have the great appeal of the Silmarils which caused so much trouble.

It was just a jewel found under Erebor in the manner that all gemstones are found, which happened to be exceptionally big and beautiful.

[ April 26, 2003: Message edited by: Lyra Greenleaf ]
“Sylphs of the forest,” I whispered. “Spirits of oak, beech and ash. Dryads of Rowan and hazel, hear us. You who have guided and guarded our every footstep, you who have sheltered our growth, we honour you."
the Forbidden Link
Lyra Greenleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 11:50 AM   #3
gilereael

Pipe

I will say no it is not a silmaril. The hobbit was written just after tolkien finished writting his first sketches of the Silmarillion. He had already come up with the tale of the silmarils and since the Hobbit was for his family they would have known what the silmarils were. Also as has been pointed out earlier there were oly three and they are accounted for as to where they are. The silmarils would burn through cloth and blister skin. Yet Bilbo wrapped it in his cloak for days. Also Thranduil would have recognized it as a silmaril when Bilbo gave it to him. If it truly were a silmaril Thranduil would have left with just that gem and would not have cared for any of the other treasure-yet he stayed to continue the war for the treasure and used it as a bartering tool.
Old 04-26-2003, 03:14 PM   #4
Sharkū
Hungry Ghoul

Sharkū has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=000110
http://forum.barrowdowns.com/cgi-bin...c&f=1&t=002537
Sharkū is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 11:54 PM   #5
Ardolon
Pile O'Bones

Ardolon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

It was a big pretty rock (Diamond, I think, though I'm not sure where I got the idea" they mined from Erebor, carved into a beautiful shape, as I recall.
Old 06-20-2003, 01:12 PM   #6
Olorin
Wight

Olorin has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Olorin
Sting

Thanks, question answered.