The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 03-06-2002, 04:50 PM   #1
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril The Gondolindrim

Who was more powerful? Glorfindel or Ecthelion? Ecthelion defeated the greatest Balrog and leader of Morgoth's armies, but Glorfindel defeated a Balrog nonetheless, and sacrificed himself to save many others. Plus Glorfindel fought on harder terrain. And was Orcrist Ecthelion's sword? Sting his main gauche (short left hand sword)? If so did he use them to kill Gothmog? Since Glorfindel's will was strengthened by his sacrifice and he saw Valinor, and came back, my guess would be him. But Ecthelion defeated the single most powerful thing in Melko's army.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:12 PM   #2
littlemanpoet
Itinerant Songster

littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.littlemanpoet is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Pipe

So, Keeper, yet another child of the Balrog vs. Dragon debate here. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Glorfindel gets my vote. But barely. Tolkien wrote a lot more about Glorfindel than Ecthelion, which may mean little. I fear point about Glofindel having been to Valinor is not convincing, though.

It doesn't help the argument that the only references in the Silmarillion to Ecthelion's slaying of Gothmog is only referring to it, rather than the vivid description Tolkien lovingly portrayed of Glorfindel, elven being of light.
littlemanpoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2002, 08:17 PM   #3
Joy
Spirit of a Warrior

Joy has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I am not sure of who weilded Orcist in the FA, but Glamdring was its mate sword and it was borne by Turgon. As for Sting, it was forged in the First Age, it was carried away as spoil by the creatures of Morgoth who destroyed that city.

The other part, I have not a clue.

As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God. My soul thirsteth for God, for the living God: when shall I come and appear before God?
Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 02:05 AM   #4
Ardolon
Pile O'Bones

Ardolon has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Gonna have to say Ecthelion. He was already wounded before he even started to fight with Gothmog. He effecticely went into it one armed, having recently regained conciousness. I've recently regained conciousness before, and it wasnt something where I'd want to fight after. And you gotta look at the remembrance factor... Glorfindel speaks for himself, literally, but how many Stewards of Gondor were named for him? Zero. And Ecthelion's got, what, two?
Old 06-19-2003, 04:04 AM   #5
Gwaihir the Windlord
Essence of Darkness

Gwaihir the Windlord has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Is that to say that Glorfindel wouldn't have been up to the task? I don't really think this thread is viable. To say who was 'more powerful' must be a vague and inaccurate guess at something which may be non-existent in the first place. *sniff*
Gwaihir the Windlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 09:25 AM   #6
Morwen Tindomerel
Wight

Morwen Tindomerel has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

Both Ecthelion and Glorfindel were great champions who died heroically slaying a Balrog, there seems little to choose between them. Except that Glorfindel's feat saved Earendil who with his descendants is vital to the purposes of Eru, and that was purely fortuitous. Tolkien himself says Glorfindel would have defended the refugees regardless, and no doubt so would Ecthelion had he lived to do so.
Morwen Tindomerel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:33 PM   #7
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

Well, let's look at it this way, Glorfindel's name means, to put it simply, "Blondie". Ecthelion's name comes from "Ecthel" which means "point of a spear." I don't know about you, but I think "Point of a Spear" is a much manlier name than "Blondie."
Perhaps Sting could have been Glorfindel's dagger that he used to kill the Balrog. It could have been later picked up as Orcs were ransacking Gondolin and its surroundings.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2003, 06:56 PM   #8
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Your assertion about names is entirely unfounded. Galadriel's name means "pretty hair" basically, but she (with Feanor) was greatest of the Noldor. That means she was greater than Ecthelion - why couldn't Glorfindel be greater too?

Glorfindel was also chosen specifically to return to Middle-earth in the Second or Third Age (depending on the account you read) to aid in the fight against Sauron. Why not Ecthelion? Glorfindel appears to be the greater of the two to me.
Old 06-19-2003, 11:16 PM   #9
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

The deaths of both Glorfindel's Bane and Gothmog are described. Neither were killed by any sword.

[ June 20, 2003: Message edited by: obloquy ]
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2003, 11:54 AM   #10
Amarie of the Vanyar
Wight

Amarie of the Vanyar has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

If by 'more powerful' you mean 'who killed more Balrogs' you should then consider Rog and the House of Hammer of Wrath [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Quote:
Fearful too they were for that slaughter Rog had done amid the Balrogs
In fact, I agree with Gwaihir in that it is impossible to decide who was more powerful, the deeds of all the inhabitants of Gondolin were extremely heroic [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] (with the exception of Maeglin's [img]smilies/mad.gif[/img] )
Old 06-21-2003, 02:13 PM   #11
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

Well, I'm sure that Maeglin had his heroic moments (I'm not defending the screwed-up git, I'm just playing Devil's Advocate!). He refused to remain in Gondolin as regent when Turgon went to the Nirnaeth Arnoediad. If he was the kind of guy that we all think he was, he would have stayed and tried to mess around with Idril and the rest of the city for a bit. But no, he wanted to fight, too. I'm not saying that his intentions were noble. They probably weren't. But every villain has some redeeming qualities, and Maeglin had some.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:33 PM   #12
StarJewel
Wight

Location: I'm in my dear Maedhros' arms, dreaming the day away. Oh, who am I kidding, Chicago is nothing like that!
StarJewel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to StarJewel
Silmaril

Maeglin's only redeeming factor in my eyes is that he cared enough about his mother to help her escape Eol. Granted, he learned all he could from Eol, so there was no reason for him to stay.
As for Glorfindel and Ecthelion, I wouldnt say that either is greater than the other.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:57 AM   #13
Gorthol
Animated Skeleton

Gorthol has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Gorthol
Sting

I'd say Ecthelion, he was the head of the Gondolin army and killed the mightiest servent of Melkor (save Sauron).
Old 06-26-2003, 06:42 PM   #14
Tinuviel of Denton
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Tinuviel of Denton has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Tinuviel of Denton
Sting

I'm confused here. Ecthelion was a servant of Melkor? *blinks. Several times.* That I will have to look up in the Silm.

*some time later*

No, Ecthelion was definitely an elf, no servant of Melkor here.

Quote:
...of the battle of Ecthelion of the Fountain with mog Lord of Balrogs in the very square of the king, where each slew the other...
Okay. Not confused anymore.

Of the two, I think they were about equal. Both slew balrogs, and both died in the doing. That's enough for me.

[ June 26, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel of Denton ]
Tinuviel of Denton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 06:45 PM   #15
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

I don't think that Glorfindel's rebirth had anything to do with his strength. He had been very close to Idril's family in his "first life," so he seemed like the likely candidate for rebirth, so that he could stay with Elrond (Idril's descendant) and his family, to help them in their fight against Sauron.