The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 01-17-2003, 12:19 PM   #1
Aratlithiel
Wight

Aratlithiel has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Sea-bell (or Frodo's Dreme)

This poem was supposedly written in the margins of the Red Book by Frodo and describes a recurring dream he had in the two years he spent in The Shire before sailing West. It's very beautiful and very sad and I like it very much. However, I've never been able to find a definitive interpretation of it and was wondering if those of you who have read it would share their opinions.

From what I've been able to gather, Frodo sails over West and for some reason, everyone hides from him and won't speak to him and he finally goes insane. He decides then to return to Middle-earth but finds that he's now become a ghost.

I guess I'm having trouble reconciling this with Frodo's experiences and why he would be having "bad" dreams about sailing West...? Is it speculation on what WOULD have happened to him if he had kept the Ring? Is the sea-bell symbolic of the Ring or is it something else?

I'd very much appreciate anyone's feedback. It's been a favorite of mine for years but I've never had the imagination required to understand it fully.

Thanks!
Aratlithiel is offline   Reply With Quote