The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-09-2002, 07:03 PM   #1
Aylwen Dreamsong
The Melody of Misery

Location: The Island of Conclusions (You get there by jumping!)...
Aylwen Dreamsong has just left Hobbiton.
Sting A different POV

I know this might seem wierd, and maybe it is. Sorry if it has been posted about, I dont think it has. What if the Lord of the Rings was told in first person? Like as if JRR Tolkien was Frodo or Gandalf?? I was just wondering what confluicts this would cause??
Old 10-09-2002, 07:45 PM   #2
Diamond18
Eidolon of a Took

Diamond18 is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Sting

It would be impossible to tell this story in the first person. Well, you could tell "Fellowship" in the first person, I guess, but the Two Towers and Return of the King would be impossible. How would we follow what is going on in Gondor, Fangorn, Rohan and Mordor if it was only told from one character's viewpoint?

I don't think I've ever heard of an epic told in first person, because that automatically minimalizes a story to a small space and time.

[ October 09, 2002: Message edited by: Diamond18 ]
Old 10-09-2002, 09:16 PM   #3
elfling
Haunting Spirit

elfling has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I don't know how it could have been complete if told only in first person, there are so many great characters that we get insight into the way JRRT wrote it. It would be good if there were many books by each character, maybe.
Old 02-15-2003, 04:41 AM   #4
doug*platypus
Delver in the Deep

doug*platypus has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Diamond18 has hit the nail on the head, I believe, and must have read a few books in her time.

LOTR in first person would be awful. The story has such a wide scope. The poor main character would be emotionally exhausted by the end of it, after describing so much of his thoughts and feelings.

Tolkien did a masterful job of retaining the point of view of the hobbits. I think the whole piece only works because he had four (five counting Bilbo) different hobbits that he could focus on, while reverting to a high form in certain places as well. One style throughout would make it a very lengthy 1100 pages.
Old 02-15-2003, 03:31 PM   #5
Phrim
Haunting Spirit

Phrim has just left Hobbiton.
Question

I don't think it's completely infeasible. If you've read George R. R. Martin's "A Game of Thrones" (and subsequent novels), you'd see he tells his story in first person--with each chapter being first person from a different person's point of view. It's a very interesting technique and Martin uses it beautifully, it would have been interesting too see written in that format.

That being said, I'm not sure it would have been altogether appropriate for this particular story. Certainly some characters, such as Gandalf, are meant to be an enigma to the reader; we aren't *supposed* to know what he is thinking. And other characters are so archetypical that hearing their points of view just may not have been interesting to the reader. It's certainly open to debate, though.

By the way, for those who haven't read Martin's "A Game of Thrones", I highly recommend it; it is masterfully done.
Phrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2003, 06:03 PM   #6
GaladrieloftheOlden
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Massachusetts - digging up a bottomless hole, searching for something that's not there...
GaladrieloftheOlden has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via MSN to GaladrieloftheOlden Send a message via Yahoo to GaladrieloftheOlden
Sting

I DON'T think that LotR in first person would be nearly as good as the original, but maybe, if it HAD to be, I would say that it shouldn't be all from one character...they should take turns [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]