The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-11-2003, 06:37 PM   #1
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots Lord of the Rings and D'ni

I don't know if anyone here is familliar with the book series that are offspring of the "Myst" computer game series. Though one might expect them to be rather trashy, poorly written grocery store type novels, they actually involve the reader in a very detailed world with its own reality, history, and tragedy. Though they're obviously completely incomparable to LotR, apparently the inventors of the series (Rand, Ryan, and Robyn Miller) recieved a good deal of influence from Tolkien's works. Just curious if anyone else had thoughts on these books, or an indirect comparison between them and LotR.

Smilling,
Iarwain
Old 02-11-2003, 10:45 PM   #2
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie Send a message via AIM to MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie
1420!

I think that the only comparrisons that I really noticed between them was that they are both well thought out, intricate, and perplex. And also, some people find Tolkien's works difficult to read and complicated. I thought myst was extremely difficult and at times complicated. I never did get that far with it.

-Willie
MLD-Grounds-Keeper-Willie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2003, 07:11 AM   #3
Iarwain
Pugnaciously Primordial Paradox

Iarwain has just left Hobbiton.
Boots

Hmmm.

Thanks for responding Willie. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img] I do agree that the books are difficult to read at times, but they do have wonderful plots. Perhaps you didn't get this far, but the description of fallen D'ni is very similiar to fallen Osigiliath. I would provide quotes to back this up, but I am at a loss for time...

Iarwain
Old 02-12-2003, 11:52 AM   #4
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I greatly enjoyed the first two books, as it fills in so many details that tie into the first two games. I was very surprised at how cohesive their universe was. It is similar to Tolkien in that respect as it is a very well thought out and cohesive world that they created. The third book left me flat as the story seemed forced just so that they could make a sequel.

I'm a complete adict of the games. Riven is certainly my favourite.

H.C.