The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 02-13-2003, 01:08 PM   #1
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via MSN to Feanor of the Peredhil
Silmaril Glorfindel's stone

Forgive me if this has been asked before, but I've yet to explore all of this site. In the Fellowship of the Ring, Aragorn finds a "single pale-green jewel." He identifies it as a beryl (ie: an emerald), but emeralds are not pale green. In general stone-lore, beryls are historically elf-stones and are associated with the merry folk of the wood. However (this is where my question comes into play) a peridot IS a pale green jewel. In basic stone-lore, peridots were always used to ward off terrors of the night, and wraiths. The stone was placed on the bridge after Glorfindel dispelled the Nazgul, thus causing me to believe that the stone was, in fact, a peridot, and that Aragorn wrongly identified it. Is my conclusion correct, or have I missed an important fact?
Old 02-13-2003, 01:37 PM   #2
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Interesting theory. I suppose it could have been a peridot, but that still doesn't make Aragorn wrong.

Emeralds are green, it's just that they're usually darker. Also, a peridot is sometimes called an "evening emerald". See this link... http://www.jewelrymall.com/stones/emerald.html

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-13-2003, 02:16 PM   #3
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

burrahobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Beryl is not the same as emerald.
Old 02-13-2003, 02:28 PM   #4
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

As much as I would like to agree with Burra...

Quote:
beryl

\Ber"yl\ (b[e^]r"[i^]l), n. [F. b['e]ryl, OF. beril, L. beryllus, Gr. bh`ryllos, prob. fr. Skr. vai[dsdot][=u]rya. Cf. Brilliant.] (Min.) A mineral of great hardness, and, when transparent, of much beauty. It occurs in hexagonal prisms, commonly of a green or bluish green color, but also yellow, pink, and white. It is a silicate of aluminium and glucinum (beryllium). The aquamarine is a transparent, sea-green variety used as a gem. The emerald is another variety highly prized in jewelry, and distinguished by its deep color, which is probably due to the presence of a little oxide of chromium.

Source: Webster's Revised Unabridged Dictionary, © 1996, 1998 MICRA, Inc.
My New World Dictionary of the American Language says that, too, though it's a Second Edition from 1974! [img]smilies/eek.gif[/img]

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 02:50 PM   #5
the phantom
Beloved Shadow

the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.the phantom is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to the phantom
Eye

Burra's right. Emerald is NOT the same thing as beryl.

An emerald is a type of beryl.

So if the book says Aragorn found a beryl, he didn't necessarily find an emerald. Perhaps he found a heliodor, a greenish-yellow variety of beryl.

[ February 13, 2003: Message edited by: the phantom ]
Old 02-13-2003, 03:41 PM   #6
DaughterofVana
Wight

DaughterofVana has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Darn your fancy logic! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

-'Vana

Hi! Did you miss me?
DaughterofVana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2003, 04:15 PM   #7
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Feanor of the Peredhil is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Silmaril

I thank you all. I had forgotten about heliador when I posted my query. My point has been opposed and thoroughly defeated, but you must admit that my conclusion of peridot was a good one, given the circumstances of my mind when I wrote this. So Aragorn did find a beryl. It was indeed an elf-stone, but it would have perfect if I had been correct about my wraith-warding peridot ideas. I apologize for making it seem as if a beryl and an emerald are one and the same- I know otherwise and I would have clarified had I not been ousted from my work before I was finished. Thanks once again.
Old 02-13-2003, 04:19 PM   #8
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Quote:
I found a site that doesn't have a ton of people arguing over who's gonna marry Orlando Bloom!
Omigod where?
Old 02-13-2003, 06:12 PM   #9
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

*Cough-cough* I erm... meant this one. That is until, sadly, I was half-proven wrong. I checked out the Newbies section (being somewhat of one myself) and I happened to come across someone with the Use-name of 'Orli Bloom is Hot' who mentioned something about "hi... I'm new here... Orlando Bloom is so hot, isn't he?" Alas, I knew it was too good to be true. But some kind soul supplied the person with links to Legolas threads so-as they would not clutter up the rest of them. Oh well... the forum is way better than the rest I've been on!
Old 02-13-2003, 06:45 PM   #10
burrahobbit
Hidden Spirit

Sting

Cheers, buddy.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:46 PM   #11
Keeper of Dol Guldur
Shade of Carn Dûm

Keeper of Dol Guldur has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not to take away from Bloom-lover bashing, or to really push the original subject, but did people of the Third Age, regardless of how great elves and men and hobbits were, recognize the difference between a peridot and a heliador, or the color peridot on a stone? (With the exception of course, of the Naugrim). I mean, I guess it depends on the discovery of a genuine difference (besides cuts and elemental composition) between the two stones.
"I come from yonder...Have you seen Baggins? Baggins has left, he is coming. He is not far away. I wish to find him. If he passes will you tell me? I will come back with gold." - Khamul the Easterling
Keeper of Dol Guldur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 12:40 AM   #12
Tarthang
Wight

Tarthang has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

In response to Dol Goldur's querry, I would hazard that the few remaining Elvish smith's of Eregion could distinguish between the various types of Beryl (who else would've had the skill to reforge Narsil). And of course any jeweller, simply because they tend to have some expertise in minerology. Otherwise, I doubt that anyone other than the Naugrim would know any better.

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Tarthang ]

[ February 15, 2003: Message edited by: Tarthang ]
Tarthang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2003, 01:05 PM   #13
Feanor of the Peredhil
La Belle Dame sans Merci

Silmaril

Now Keeper... you offend me. Acting as if my theory is insubstantial! Although your point of there being a distinct lack of minerologists in the Third Age holds true, the fact that Elves and Wizards are both masters of lore leads me to believe that there must be a few who are capable of identifying various minerals and their "uses". The simple fact that peridots, emeralds, and heliadors are much different shades of green makes me think that Elves, and Aragorn, whose sight is far keener than our own would be able to see the subtle differences. And we weren't Bloom-bashing, per se, we were just bashing those who cannot see past his good looks to the masterpiece in which he was involved!