The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 09-20-2002, 08:59 AM   #27
Galorme
Shade of Carn Dûm

Galorme has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm not saying that JRRT decided that he Legolas was going to go on to be in the fellowship in the 1930s when he wrote the book, but i would guess that Legolas, in some form, appeared in the Fall of Gondolin, and he then appeared again in the LoTRs. While the stories don’t exactly fit together perfectly, this is not unusual of a Lost Tale. I think that if JRRT had come to re-write the Fall he would have included Legolas in some (equally cryptic) way.

Quote:
What there is nothing of is any evidence whatsoever circumstantial or otherwise to prove that the two Legolas' are the same.
For starters it is not Legolas', its Legolai. I think that the evidence is that
1) They have the same name (Including Surname).
2) They are both associated with Trees (house of the leaf?),
3) They both withdraw the Lonely Isle
4) They are both night-sighted.
5) The main piece of (still circumstantial) evidence is that when JRRT re-read the Fall he saw Glorfindel's name and thought "damn I have used the same name", and he never commented on Legolas being there, even though Legolas has a much larger part in the LoTRs than Glorfindel.

I seem to have started another Balrog debate, though now its much more me against the forum.