The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-28-2007, 08:35 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Ones to Marry

There has been a thread not so far back about who you think is best looking, but I was wondering if you could marry anyone in Middle-earth who would it be?!?!?!?!?!(And it doesn't matter if they get married in the end or not)

I know I would marry Samwise or Pippin, not only are they good looking, but also awesome!

MY 200TH POST!!!!!!!!!!!!WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-28-2007, 08:45 PM   #2
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Not some Elvish girl cause I would thnik that once I'm dead she's going to find herself some new guy...and I would have to send my Legions of Might (army made up by Gil) to deal with him.

Nah, it would probably have to be someone from Dol Amroth.
Old 12-29-2007, 07:43 AM   #3
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Even though I identify with dwarves, I would never want to marry any dwarf. They're a too chauvinistic and jealous race for me.

I would marry Boromir.

I like his pride and self-confidence. He's a man who knows what he wants and gets it also (well, except the throne of Gondor, but who needs that anyway?). I'd have enough freedom & wouldn't have time to tire of him as he isn't home too much. One of the most important things is, though, that I don't think he's of a jealous sort. I just couldn't stand someone who needs to know where I am going, when I am coming back, whom I am meeting etc.

In the end, he dies, so I wouldn't have to spend all my life with him. Not that I couldn't do that but sometimes variatio delectat.

Romantic, aren't I?
Old 12-29-2007, 09:02 AM   #4
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Jack Aubrey! Oh...LotR character? I've no idea.

This is ridiculous.

-- Folwren
Old 12-29-2007, 02:07 PM   #5
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Despite the many cute elf boys...

this is a no-brainer.

Faramir.

Mr Perfect

Not only is he kind, humourous, courageous, honourable, intelligent, a scholar as well as being a verray parfit gentil knight, but he is tall, dark and handsome and let us not forget, a Prince. And he likes gardens and has a nice taste in presents.

Then he loves a complex, spirited woman for herself as much as her beauty and their relationship promises to be happy and a true partnership. Yeats could be describing them:

"How many loved your moments of glad grace,
And loved your beauty with love false or true,
But one man loved the pilgrim soul in you,
And loved the sorrows of your changing face;"

Christopher Tolkien, Requiescat in pace
Mithalwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 11:28 AM   #6
Folwren
Messenger of Hope

Location: In a tiny, insignificant little town in one of the many States.
Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Folwren is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Yes, Mithalwen, Faramir would definitely be a very good choice. But all the same, I don't think I would quite choose him. Oddly enough, I would probably prefer Boromir....without the Ring, of course. I think Faramir would be entirely too quiet and laid back for me. I love him very, very much in the books and admire him greatly, but he's not my type. Kinda like Sam...he's my favorite character, but I would never, ever be happily married to him - not if I were like I am now.

-- Folwren
Old 12-30-2007, 12:18 PM   #7
Bêthberry
Cryptic Aura

Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Bêthberry is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Whereforth art thou Heathcliffe or Rochester?

I see that no one has chosen Grima, or Saruman, or perhaps even Shagrat.

It is very reassuring to see that Downers of the female persuasion have finally and truly disabused themselves of that old odd notion once prominent amongst the better half that a good woman could marry a scoundrel and reform him.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:31 PM   #8
piosenniel
Desultory Dwimmerlaik

piosenniel is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Thumbs up

It's a Hobbit I fancy.

Rose's brother - Wilcome "Jolly" Cotton

Defended the Shire against Sharkey's Men in The Battle of Bywater, the last battle in The War of the Ring.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:04 PM   #9
Guinevere
Banshee of Camelot

Guinevere is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
White Tree

Though I am usually a rather indecisive person, this answer doesn't take me a second's hesitation:

Faramir!

For all the reasons that Mithalwen gave.
And I think his most striking character trait is his extraordinary empathy .
(I am speaking of Book- Faramir, of course! And in my imagination he looks like Anke Eissmann portrays him.)

(btw I love the beautiful verses by Yeats you gave, Mithalwen!)
Old 12-30-2007, 03:30 PM   #10
The Might
Guard of the Citadel

The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.The Might is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
As I expected a lot mostly females are posting on thsi thread simply because there are a lot more male characters to choose from in the books and they are usually in the center of attention.

I mean, I am can't think like you, bu Faramir Mr. Perfect.
Why not Beren for example?
Old 12-30-2007, 06:37 PM   #11
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

I am a hobbit fancier myself, but I would defenently not marry the Pimple, what a creep... but of course, Ted Sandyman is not all that better! But if you married Saurman wouldn't he put a spell on you or kill you if you tried to calm you down. But you might be able to get control of Grima, but he is kinda shallow.
Old 01-11-2008, 03:33 PM   #12
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Mithalwen is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Yes, Mithalwen, Faramir would definitely be a very good choice. But all the same, I don't think I would quite choose him. Oddly enough, I would probably prefer Boromir....without the Ring, of course.
Well I am rather older than you so maybe I have realised that what you need is not the same as what you think you want. Boromir is more glamourous but I can't imagine him being a good husband and had shown no inclination to become one. I always think the fact that the heirs to Rohan and Gondor were single so late is a failure of hope. Not that there is anything wrong with being single late - I fear with Faramir as my benchmark I may be far too picky .

I always feel that Eowyn would not be diminished or compromised by her marriage. Faramir would not break her spirit but help her channel it. Boromir would be too forceful and uncompromising. Faramir is not weak but he is more subtle - for want of a better word he is like a horse whisperer.

Oh Great Elven Warrior - no contest..... never liked Beren (and loathe Luthien). "So wet youcould shoot snipe off him". There are a lot of cute elf boys though.

Oh Bethberry - everyone knows it is easier to change the man than change the man ... besides you never get a receipt.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:47 PM   #13
Elmo
Pittodrie Poltergeist

Elmo has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bêthberry View Post

It is very reassuring to see that Downers of the female persuasion have finally and truly disabused themselves of that old odd notion once prominent amongst the better half that a good woman could marry a scoundrel and reform him.
The real question we have here is are there any female orcs?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:57 PM   #14
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
The only character in LotR who would be realistic marriage material for me would be Merry. Sensible, decent, but a really good laugh.

In my case however, (as I like tall men) he would also have to drink more Ent-Draught.

PS Actually on second thoughts, there's also Eomer - although there's not so much evidence of a sense of humour.
Old 01-11-2008, 04:01 PM   #15
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

And the hairy feet don't unnerve you? Merry is my favourite hobbit - but I just think short with hairy feet... and surely riding around the Shire in armour after the war is over is on a par with driving a pointlessly big car....

Old 01-11-2008, 04:23 PM   #16
Gwathagor
Shade with a Blade

Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.Gwathagor is a guest of Elrond in Rivendell.
Send a message via AIM to Gwathagor Send a message via MSN to Gwathagor Send a message via Skype™ to Gwathagor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Folwren View Post
Jack Aubrey! Oh...LotR character? I've no idea.

This is ridiculous.

-- Folwren
Ha ha! Jack Aubrey...
Old 01-13-2008, 12:01 AM   #17
MatthewM
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

MatthewM has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to MatthewM
Tolkien

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aganzir View Post
One of the most important things is, though, that I don't think he's of a jealous sort.
(Concerning Boromir)

I disagree with this entirely. I see jealousy in Boromir's character, for sure. Which I identify with ...you would hate me!

And for my answer, I wouldn't marry any of them, but, Eowyn!
Old 01-13-2008, 12:09 PM   #18
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.Aganzir is lost in the dark paths of Moria.
You're right, MatthewM. What I meant with that, though, was that I don't think he'd be jealous about a sweet little wife like me.
Old 01-14-2008, 04:23 AM   #19
Lalwendë
A Mere Boggart

Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.Lalwendë is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithalwen View Post
And the hairy feet don't unnerve you? Merry is my favourite hobbit - but I just think short with hairy feet... and surely riding around the Shire in armour after the war is over is on a par with driving a pointlessly big car....
Merry. The Richard Hammond of The Shire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bb

Grima? Who'd want to marry a civil servant?

Saruman. Well, I think he'd be interesting, if not attractive. My personal image of him is rather like Ming The Merciless, not the Chris Lee portrayal, despite this being the bees' knees for me as a Chris Lee fan...At least he is nifty at making jewellery...

Shagrat? Looking at what the unflattering words in his name suggests, any girl of his wouldn't be much of a looker...
Old 01-16-2008, 03:10 PM   #20
Mithalwen
Pilgrim Soul

[QUOTE=Lalwendë;543272]Merry. The Richard Hammond of The Shire...

Saruman. Well, I think he'd be interesting, if not attractive. My personal image of him is rather like Ming The Merciless, not the Chris Lee portrayal, despite this being the bees' knees for me as a Chris Lee fan...At least he is nifty at making jewellery...

QUOTE]

but did Merry have his teeth whitened?

I have just realised I would be very vulnerable to Saruman - I am very voice sensitive and find silver hair attractive (though more Thingol style-prematurely grey). However I hate beards and don't hold with magic... so maybe I'd escape...

Old 01-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #21
Rikae
Mellifluous Maia

Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.Rikae is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Well, maybe this seems a little too obvious a choice, but I've had a crush on Aragorn for 20 years now.

He's rugged and capable of sarcasm when needed, but at the same time noble, humble, patient enough to endure decades of isolation and injustice without becoming bitter; he puts others before himself, is courageous and very loyal. Plus, he ages slowly, cleans up nice, and is the KING, just as comfortable in a palace or in the wilderness. He also knows lots of interesting things like herbal medicine and ancient history. Besides, I'm a sucker for guys who turn out to be older than they appear to be at first.

Last edited by Rikae; 01-27-2008 at 12:12 PM.
Rikae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 03:34 PM   #22
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Thumbs up

Faramir, hands down. Although Merry is my type....
Old 01-27-2008, 07:09 PM   #23
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Beautiful... oh wait, he's not a fictional character... umm, well if I couldn't get Samwise or Peregrin... I think I'd go for Faramir!
Old 01-28-2008, 03:31 AM   #24
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Laurinquë has been trapped in the Barrow!
Wow, I never knew that many people liked Faramir! I love him too though, he think he is just about perfect, OK, Perfect. I also like Pippin, he is so funny, outgoing, and happy, he is also a bit taller then the rest so I would not have to break my back trying to kiss him. Merry is nice too, even though Pippin is better looking in the movies, Merry is the one who helped slay the Nazgul remember Elven Warrior? I admit that I like Aragorn, but who I really like is Sam. Wonderful Sam. Not only is he the real hero of the story, he also likes plants and gardening, two must haves for me. Sam!

Ha, it looks like I have named half the characters in the books here!

Last edited by Laurinquë; 01-29-2008 at 01:32 AM.
Laurinquë is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 08:56 AM   #25
A Little Green
Leaf-clad Lady

A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.A Little Green is wading through snowdrifts on Redhorn.
Send a message via MSN to A Little Green
My first thoughts were of Faramir, and after that of Aragorn. Then I came to think about Beleg.

Loyal, wise, beautiful (though I meant inner beauty, of course he is bound to have some outer as well ), courageous but not show-off, calm, gentle. And intriguing as well The height might prove a problem, though, as I'm not too tall myself and I guess he is? Oh darn, who cares.
"But some stories, small, simple ones about setting out on adventures or people doing wonders, tales of miracles and monsters, have outlasted all the people who told them, and some of them have outlasted the lands in which they were created."
A Little Green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #26
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurinquë View Post
Wow, I never knew that many people liked Faramir! I love him too though, he think he is just about perfect, OK, Perfect. I also like Pippin, he is so funny, outgoing, and happy, he is also a bit taller then the rest so I would not have to break my back trying to kiss him. Merry is nice too, even though Pippin is better looking in the movies, Merry is the one who helped slay the Nazgul remember Elven Warrior? I admit that I like Aragorn, but who I really like is Sam. Wonderful Sam. Not only is he the real hero of the story, he also likes plants and gradening, two must haves for me. Sam!

Ha, it looks like I have named half the characters in the books here!
Oh come on Lauri, you're not that tall, after that ent draught, Pippin would be as tall as you! Actually he would be my height!

And oh yes, whats gradening? Did you mean gardening?
Old 01-29-2008, 01:31 AM   #27
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheGreatElvenWarrior View Post
Oh come on Lauri, you're not that tall, after that ent draught, Pippin would be as tall as you! Actually he would be my height!

And oh yes, whats gradening? Did you mean gardening?
Oh thanks TGEW, "Your not that tall".
And yes, I did mean gardening.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:22 PM   #28
Azaelia of Willowbottom
Shade of Carn Dûm

Azaelia of Willowbottom has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Azaelia of Willowbottom
Silmaril

Hee Hee. Why not? I'll allow myself to be girly for a bit.

Faramir seems to be quite the ladies' choice, doesn't he? I have to say, he's my kinda guy. He has depth and integrity. He's gentle, and a gentleman. His arc remains my favorite love story, not just in Lord of the Rings, but in anything I've ever read (excepting maybe Pride and Prejudice ). In a very different time, he still loved an unconventional, even rebellious, woman for who she was, not for her land or her money, or because feudal society demanded that he choose a wife.

However, I'm not sure how I'd like life in Gondor. Ithilien sounds beautiful, but the life of Men seems to be missing something in terms of simple joys. All that riding off to war and fighting Orcs would drive me half-mad with worry.

I just wouldn't feel at home, as absurdly PERFECT as Faramir is.

I'm far more of a Hobbit at heart. As such, I'd have to say Sam would be the one. He is the true hero of the story, and he's heart-smart, full of hope and love of life, and courage. I think that the way people make friends speaks volumes about them, and Sam's approach to friendship is my own. That said, he'd probably wind up being the friend I fall hard for but never find the courage to even think about romance with, for fear of ruining the friendship.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:17 PM   #29
Laurinquë
Shade of Carn Dûm

[QUOTE=
I'm far more of a Hobbit at heart. As such, I'd have to say Sam would be the one. He is the true hero of the story, and he's heart-smart, full of hope and love of life, and courage. I think that the way people make friends speaks volumes about them, and Sam's approach to friendship is my own. That said, he'd probably wind up being the friend I fall hard for but never find the courage to even think about romance with, for fear of ruining the friendship. [/QUOTE]

Oh I know! I love Sam but don't think I could ever get up the courage to talk to him about it, I would be so scared he would never treat me the same afterwards if things went wrong. But Sam is so wonderful! I swear he is perfect for me, I mean, where does it say that Rosie Cotton liked gardens? I do. Grr...that Rosie Cotton...she is dispicable.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:44 PM   #30
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Oh, Lauri you know that Samwise it already sailed off Into the west! Besides you're waay too young for our dearest Samwise (especially the combination of him and Beautiful!*dreamy stare* (don't ask, she knows what I'm talking about)
Old 01-31-2008, 12:33 AM   #31
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Quote:

I don't think a good wife would have changed Shagrat or Saruman...

But if Eowyn loved Grima, he would have remained a good Rohan man he was born to be - Grima son of Galmond, the faithful King's advisor.
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:20 AM   #32
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordis View Post

But if Eowyn loved Grima, he would have remained a good Rohan man he was born to be - Grima son of Galmond, the faithful King's advisor.
Well, I'd think otherwise and the two folks first... actually I pity that Galadriel was already married, because she and Saruman would have been a lovely pair (only a tad dangerous for each other... I'm sure sooner or later they'll decide to rule the Middle-Earth. Hooray!)
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:31 AM   #33
Gordis
Shade of Carn Dûm

Gordis is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Nay-nay, Galadriel was a good match for Sauron-Annatar, only she didn't realize it!
Gordis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:33 AM   #34
Thinlómien
Shady She-Penguin

Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.Thinlómien is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
Well, I'd think otherwise and the two folks first... actually I pity that Galadriel was already married, because she and Saruman would have been a lovely pair (only a tad dangerous for each other... I'm sure sooner or later they'll decide to rule the Middle-Earth. Hooray!)
Sounds disastrous. I'm afraid poor Gandalf would not have stood a chance against their evil designs...

Speaking of him, a friend of mine *coughAganzircough* once married me to him in The Sims... Yes, Gandalf is one of my favourite characters, but...
Thinlómien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 06:39 AM   #35
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
Quote:
Nay-nay, Galadriel was a good match for Sauron-Annatar, only she didn't realize it!
No, Sauron-Annatar was too arrogant selfish blockhead, whilst Saruman (at least in his earlier days) was a clever and open-minded man "of noble mien and bearing, with raven hair, and a fair voice". (I always thought that people overlook something important by imagining Saruman just as an old man!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
Sounds disastrous. I'm afraid poor Gandalf would not have stood a chance against their evil designs...
He wouldn't... mwa ha ha!!! (though Saruman hinted the opposite conspiracy during their encounter in Dunland)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lommy
Speaking of him, a friend of mine *coughAganzircough* once married me to him in The Sims... Yes, Gandalf is one of my favourite characters, but...
Aganzir...
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 09:18 AM   #36
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

Quote:

Well, Saurman wouldn't scare me all that much... but Shagrat oh my he's scary to put it in simple terms! Orcs are just filthy and mean! (at least Saurman is colorful!)
Old 01-31-2008, 10:28 AM   #37
Aganzir
Woman of Secret Shadow

Quote:

And if Saruman had had a good wife, he would have remained a good and noble ainu he was born to be.

Maybe all he really would have needed was to be henpecked. He could act as bad as he wished in public, but there would always have been his mistress to show him his rightful place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thinlómien View Post
I'm sorry to tell about your personal life here, Lommy, but just can't resist...
You know, Lommy abandoned her rich and athletic husband and their three children to marry the poor, unemployed and grumpy Gandalf. She's such an impulsive person, that's what I've always said...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legate of Amon Lanc View Post
He wouldn't... mwa ha ha!!! (though Saruman hinted the opposite conspiracy during their encounter in Dunland)
He was just jealous, try to understand him. Poor guy. Lost his true love.

Though I think Galadriel and Celebrimbor would have been a perfect match.

And who said no one wants to marry Saruman? He's the only one I could have taken both in the books and the movies.

Last edited by Aganzir; 02-01-2008 at 01:17 PM. Reason: Celebrimbor, not Curufín. Silly me.
Aganzir is offline   Reply With Quote