The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 10-28-2007, 04:53 PM   #1
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril The Silmarils

Okay, I have been puzzled recently.

On the cover of my copy of the Silmarillion, there is a picture of the Silmarils, and they are blue. When I read the book, I envision them as being red...
Any comments?
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #2
Legate of Amon Lanc
A Voice That Gainsayeth

Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.Legate of Amon Lanc is spying on the Black Gate.
I always imagined them as clear or "white", or, so to say, simply "bright light". Something very like the icon above (though even it has some strange hues...).

The text says the following:
Quote:
Like the crystal of diamonds it appeared (...) Yet that crystal was to the Silmarils but as is the body to the Children of Ilúvatar: the house of its inner fire, that is within it and yet in all parts of it, and is its life. And the inner fire of the Silmarils Fëanor made of the blended light of the Trees of Valinor, which lives in them yet, though the Trees have long withered and shine no more. Therefore even in the darkness of the deepest treasury the Silmarils of their own radiance shone like the stars of Varda; and yet, as were they indeed living things, they rejoiced in light and received it and gave it back in hues more marvellous than before.
The "inner fire", I believe, is not meant to be real fire (like what appears when you make a campfire), so this, I believe, says nothing about the color. "Blended light", I believe, also does not mean that the Silmarils would be golden or silver. "Like stars of Varda" is interesting, since all the stars, when you look at them, whatever their original color is (from red through yellow to bright white/blue) look more or less "white" to us. It's not necessary to understand this sentence as speaking about color, but about origin: simply as an illustration that the Silmarils shine of their own radiance. The last sentence is the most important for me: I'd say this clearly states that the Silmarils were translucent (though "boosting" the light that goes through them) and there's no need to think that they were not also transparent, that would mean: clear, like glass, simple crystals, yet giving out radiance of their own.
"Should the story say 'he ate bread,' the dramatic producer can only show 'a piece of bread' according to his taste or fancy, but the hearer of the story will think of bread in general and picture it in some form of his own." -On Fairy-Stories
Legate of Amon Lanc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 11:07 PM   #3
William Cloud Hicklin
Loremaster of Annúminas

William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.William Cloud Hicklin is battling Black Riders on Weathertop.
I would agree, but add that 'hues more marvellous than before' suggests something like the multicolored 'flash and fire' of diamonds.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:20 PM   #4
TheGreatElvenWarrior
Mighty Quill

TheGreatElvenWarrior has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Thanks
I guess it was the "inner fire" part that got me...Now I know better!