The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2004, 05:07 PM   #41
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Sting

-You decide to try writing a poem in ann-thennath. You can't figure out what to write about, so you pick a subject that's very dear to you- how Sam felt at the Grey Havens. It turned out pretty well!

-Maybe I'm alone in this, maybe I'm not. But I read so much that I dream about books. Not the characters and events- I dream about the books themselves. I read the books in my dream, and see the pages, and everything. A couple nights ago I did that with LOTR. How I knew it was LOTR, I'll never know, but I was concious of the fact that I was reading LOTR, even though it was probably very different than the real thing. One of the chapters was only a page long!

-Not exactly a book thing, but close enough: I've taken to wearing ribbons in my hair just about every day. A point to the first person who realizes where this comes from. Yes, I am a sad case. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:09 PM   #42
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Are you dressing like Bill the Pony?! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Wait...Asfaloth?

Or Elanor/Rosie? *Out of ideas!*

Forth Tolkiengas is a way of life? Starting the day? Let loose a mighty horn blast! Don't like your lunch? Throw it with winged pseed across the room and cry Death! with one voice and terrible! Etc! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
As for an organised thing...well, I could always, after my January exams, write a webb site with tips for the way of life. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] Um...well, crazier things have become cults! Just look at LotR slash (
[img]smilies/eek.gif[/img] ) - at least we're Family Friendly [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] (note: if your family doesn't accept huge cavalry charges in their houses, we may not be family friendly!)

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:10 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Olorin_TLA ]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2004, 06:43 PM   #43
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I'm with you on the book thing, Luthien, I do it too, and I believe you are refferenceing Rosie Cotton as Sam describes her at the end of the movie RotK. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] and here's another one (although it's not strictly books):

~Your parents reffer to your using the computor a "Hobbiting" because you spend to much time on Tolkien sites

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 7:46 PM January 04, 2004: Message edited by: Dancing_Hobbit ]
Old 01-04-2004, 06:51 PM   #44
Olorin_TLA
Shade of Carn Dûm

Olorin_TLA has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Your dad drops occasional quips of "what are you Tolkien about" and when getting you up for school pretends to stab you like the Nazgul in Bree.

You can do a better Gollum than Andy Serkis. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

ELENDIL! - Join "Forth Tolkiengas!"
Olorin_TLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 07:37 PM   #45
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Finwe has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Finwe
Sting

When your U.S. History AP teacher starts talking about the Great Migration, the first three groups of people that come to mind are the Vanyar, Noldor, and Teleri.

I nearly blurted out those names, but thankfully, I managed to catch myself before I made a fool of myself before the entire class.
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Finwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:16 AM   #46
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Lhunardawen has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

Lhunardawen's post
During my birthday (which was last January 4), someone asked me what I wanted. I said, "An all-expense paid trip to Valinor to see my fave Elven-King." That would send the message... [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Nilpaurion Felagund's post

Quote:
You decide to try writing a poem in ann-thennath.
I've written a poem in ann-thennath. It is in the Setting Sails for Valinor RPG. Personally, I think it stinks, because I used the endings -en and -een. Makes it hard to pronounce.

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 1:17 AM January 08, 2004: Message edited by: Lhunardawen ]
Lhunardawen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 03:05 PM   #47
Arothir
Wight

Arothir has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

You give constant lectures on how LOTR is in fact six books, not three. Also when you give your friend an ovation when they finish the Silm. And when your friend's been reading FOTR for about a day and he's already posing as an expert, so you bite his head off.
Arothir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2004, 05:03 PM   #48
Dancing_Hobbit
Haunting Spirit

Location: A fairyland of mists and shadows deep in the emerald wood.
Dancing_Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

but I would argue that they're really all ONE book. the breaks are entirely artificial. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]
Old 01-09-2004, 05:53 PM   #49
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

When taking notes in Geography class you accidentally write an LotR-related word instead of the word you meant to write, and don't notice until you reread the notes.
Old 01-09-2004, 11:43 PM   #50
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Thanks for the post, Nilpaurion! That was true, actually! And the guy I said that to did not quite understand me, but he knew it was LotR-related, so he invited me to watch the movie with him. I declined, needless to say.

He reminds me of Grima Wormtongue, wherein I am Eowyn. [img]smilies/evil.gif[/img]

-During a boring class, you try to list all the Elvish lines from the books and their translations.

-You call your Chemistry groupmates "a bunch of Denethors" because of their pyromania. We were having an experiment with alkanes which involved testing the flammability of hexane, and they loved it so much that they did the experiment again and again and again. (I hope I made sense there. [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img] )

-You never tire of telling your not-so-much-knowledgeable-in-LotR friends about LotR things. In fact, it excites you to do so!

-When someone wakes you up in the morning, you respond to it by saying one of these:
a) My lord/lady, you have called me. I come. What do you command?
b) [Name of person], what joy is this? I thought you were dead! But those were only the voices in my dream.
c) I am hungry. What is the time?

The last one is most likely... [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

-The White Lady of Lindon-

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 12:44 AM January 10, 2004: Message edited by: Lhunardawen ]
Old 01-10-2004, 03:39 PM   #51
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Eye

-You get kind of mad when your friend who likes LOTR but was never very expert on it starts reading the Silm, because you don't want her to go around assuming that she's more knowledgable than you are. At least she still knows almost nothing about Tolkien's life! There is still hope!

-Not really book-related, but in a random moment of boredom, you start humming disco/techno-y music and dancing around in honor of our very own Disco Monarch.

-You're to the absolutely hopeless point where your word hallucinations are absolutely absurd. I saw the word "preserves" and thought it said "potatoes". If that isn't sad, I don't know what is. And I do it almost daily.

-You received lots of lovely blank books for Christmas and your birthday, and plan to use one to record all of the poems in LOTR in a nice calligraphic style, and the other (it's red, incidentally) as a volume of spontaneous LOTR- and Tolkien-related essays.

Old 01-15-2004, 02:02 PM   #52
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
You can do a better Gollum than Andy Serkis.
Nobody can do a better Gollum than Andy Serkis (I should know; I've met him and heard him do the voice in person).

~When you know LotR music is playing before it gets to the third note.

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-15-2004, 06:28 PM   #53
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

- When your baby brother hears you say "taters" and looks up at you, with a puzzled look on his face, and asks "Taters?", you say, "PO-TA-TOES!!!!!!!!" Of course, since he's two years old, he repeated it right back at me, with the same intonation and all! He sounded EXACTLY like a baby Samwise. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:03 PM   #54
SamwiseGamgee
Shade of Carn Dûm

SamwiseGamgee has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When your english teacher calls you Sam in times of joking...and Samwise at all others!
Old 01-17-2004, 07:31 AM   #55
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
Nobody can do a better Gollum than Andy Serkis (I should know; I've met him and heard him do the voice in person).
I envy you!!! [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

When you keep on correcting the movie mistakes while watching. Well, I think everyone knowledgeable in LotR does that... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-17-2004, 07:31 PM   #56
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

I'm very jealous of you, Sapphire, but I would be more jealous if it had been *coughSeanAstincough*. Yes, so anyway, I have another to add to the list:

-I think I'll have to eventually fall in love with and marry a Tolkien fan, for two reasons: I don't think anyone who's not already a fan would be able to stand me, and yes, I do think I'll remain a fan, since I stick with things to the bitter end, and I can't think of anything more flattering and romantic than being someone's Luthien, and no one other than a Tolkien fan would understand or value that.

As an aside, I just saw Elijah Wood as a thirteen-year-old on TV, and he bears a striking resemblance to my favorite cousin! Very scary! [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 01-18-2004, 02:40 AM   #57
Kaiserin
Wight

Kaiserin has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Quote:
You never tire of telling your not-so-much-knowledgeable-in-LotR friends about LotR things. In fact, it excites you to do so!
You too? [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

... You call your apartment a "Hobbit hole", your neighbor's pet rabbit a "coney" and french fries "taters".

... You call to Elbereth under your breath every time you're in trouble.
Old 01-21-2004, 07:31 PM   #58
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Silmaril

In geography class, when you have do draw a picture with at least ten landforms with a group, you draw a volcano and climbing up it a teeny-tiny Frodo, Sam, and Gollum slinking behind, too small for anyone else to notice. (Don't think my group would have been too pleased with me) Nor would they have been pleased to see a tiny Nazgul on the bird...or the doors of Moria on the mountain...or if I had turned the buffalo some wiseguy drew wings on (get it? Buffalo wings? Nevermind, it's not that funny) into a balrog...
Old 01-21-2004, 09:46 PM   #59
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

- When you start realizing that some of your friends could be Elves.

I swear, one of my best friends has the completely Elven bone structure and everything. The only problem is that he's about 5'4", which is about a foot too short. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] And he's got a NOSE, not just a nose, but a NOSE. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]
Old 01-22-2004, 12:09 PM   #60
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Quote:
I envy you!!!
As you should. [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img] [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] j/k, yeah, it was awesome.

~When you are determined to give all your future children LotR related names. Bonus points if the names you have in mind are Elven. Myself, I'm leaning more toward things like Beren, Peregrin, Samwise, Sapphire, Emerald, Ruby... ^^

Abedithon le,

~*~Aranel~*~
Old 01-22-2004, 01:28 PM   #61
Daewen
Wight

Location: Stuck inside an Aquafina bottle...HELP! ...seriously, I'm getting claustrophobic
Daewen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Daewen
Sting

You always write hobbit rather than habit.

Your computer spellcheck is familiarized with words like Gollum, Aragorn, Anduin, Lothlorien, entmoot, ect.

Your teacher says you need to do a report on a country of your choice, and you automatically think, "The Shire"

In aforementioned class, you decide to see if The Shire is acceptable for project

Apparently it's not. After finding out it's not, you begin to call your teacher Slinker or Stinker behind her back.

EDIT: Wooot!! Look guys, I'm a Shade of Carn Dum now!!! Yay...and I thought it would never happen. Feel free to send me money, cars, and Aragorn in congratulations...

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 2:31 PM January 22, 2004: Message edited by: Daewen ]
Daewen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2004, 08:24 AM   #62
Hama Of The Riddermark
Shade of Carn Dûm

Hama Of The Riddermark has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When you absent mindedly doodle the battle of Helm's Deep in your maths class, and when your teacher asks you what you're doing you say 'drawing an uruk-hai getting run through with an elvish blade'

And yes I did that [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]
Hama Of The Riddermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2004, 02:30 AM   #63
Lhunardawen
Hauntress of the Havens

Silmaril

Quote:
-I think I'll have to eventually fall in love with and marry a Tolkien fan, for two reasons: I don't think anyone who's not already a fan would be able to stand me, and yes, I do think I'll remain a fan, since I stick with things to the bitter end, and I can't think of anything more flattering and romantic than being someone's Luthien, and no one other than a Tolkien fan would understand or value that.
That has been in my list of "the traits my husband must have" ever since I became a fan. If my best friends cannot relate to me, I would not have my husband be ignorant as well. Oh well, I'm too young too even think of that...

Oh, wait. I forgot that my husband is once a High King of the Noldor. Ereinion, I call him. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/rolleyes.gif[/img]

-You are amazed at your dad who has just started reading RotK because he can actually analyze it and "foretell" what will happen. And you actually have fun discussing the book with him.

-You have created your own life story as a Middle-Earth character and it fits quite perfectly into the stories.

I have... [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2004, 05:18 PM   #64
Memory of Trees
Haunting Spirit

Location: Here! Over here!!! Behind that rock. Yes, that is I...
Memory of Trees has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

When every time you hear the name Peter, you think you are going to be sick to you stomach. [img]smilies/smile.gif[/img]

When every time you even think you hear "Lord of the Rings" mentioned you are filled inner joy and have an irresistable urge to burst into Bilbo's walking song.
Old 01-24-2004, 05:52 PM   #65
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sting

Quote:
-You have created your own life story as a Middle-Earth character and it fits quite perfectly into the stories.
Really? You too? My best Tolkien friend and I had a whole war in ME a couple summers ago. It was maybe a couple hundred years after the War of the Ring. This was after we discovered that we both had created our own elf-kingdoms. So much fun. [img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 01-24-2004, 06:16 PM   #66
Fire-Galad
Animated Skeleton

Fire-Galad has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Memory of Trees, that post really applies to me except the part about the song. I think I'm not a Hobbit type of person.
Old 01-30-2004, 12:12 AM   #67
Eorl of Rohan
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Eorl of Rohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

1) I work as a translater, even though I'm fourteen. I have to translate Korean children's books to English, and I find myself unconciously using words and verses in LOTR. Like "wroth, deed, fell, fey, loth"

2) My Korean friends stay well away from me becuase I constantly chant LOTR poetry in English.

3) When Korean bullies ripped my copy of LOTr, I went out of my senses and slapped the girl and called her Gorthaur the Cruel. The result: I was beaten black and blue and was locked in second-floor classroom, when I whispered 'Elbereth A Githoniel' and climbed down the ventilation pipes.

4) My poodle is named Shadowfax.

5) When you go into a fit of Murderous rage whenever people say things like "I hate LOTR or Harry potter is better then LOTr".
Old 01-31-2004, 07:07 PM   #68
Finwe
Deathless Sun

Sting

- When you tell your date to stop kissing you in the middle of Return of the King so that you can watch Pippin in his armor.

*blushes*

What made it worse was that he wanted to watch the scene too, so we stopped making out for about two minutes, then started up again.

[img]smilies/biggrin.gif[/img] [img]smilies/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-31-2004, 09:22 PM   #69
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

* You eat mushrooms only because hobbits love them.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2004, 03:22 PM   #70
Lathriel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: Wandering through Middle-Earth (Sadly in Alberta and not ME)
Lathriel has just left Hobbiton.
1420!

Oh my I am guilty of so many of these things that were listed!

I say goodnight to the characters that are on the poster. e.g goodnight Aragorn son of Arathorn, Goodnight Eowyn daughter of Eomund.

I sometimes feel like I am walking LOTR encyclopedia.

when you leave notes behind saying "Frodo lives!"

My math notebook is covered with LOTR quotes and i am planning to do the same thing to the math notebook i will get next year!

You compare fireworks (Those screechers or whatever they are called) To the nazgul and insist that your dad has to buy nine of them for next year!

<font size=1 color=339966>[ 8:53 PM February 01, 2004: Message edited by: Lathriel ]
Old 02-01-2004, 06:04 PM   #71
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Sting

-You frown upon those "Lucky Rabbit Foot" things, because they make you think of Hobbit feet.

-You have a perfectly accurate miniature of Minas Tirith in your bedroom.

-You buy a 9 pet bats and 9 Nazgul figurines which you strap to their backs. Then you build a lego Minas Morgul and let them roost on it.

-You try to wake up trees and have never used wood for anything, fearing murderous tree-herders.

-You have a pet warg...and you've bought it a mate!

-You don't own a can of mace, but you do own an intricate replica of Grond, Hammer of the Underworld.

-You've actually sung Gollum Fish Song in a public place.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote