The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2003, 04:50 PM   #1
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe Least favorite parts

Just post your least favorite part & give a BRIEF explanation!<BR> FotR: Don't really have one here.<BR> TTT: Osgiliath-Farimir is all the explanation you need.<BR> Gandalf's exorsism of Saruman from Theoden,no explaination really needed here.<BR> The Entmoot=them being tricked into war was just not cool at all.<BR> <BR> <p>[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2003, 07:21 PM   #2
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

FotR: Nope, can't think of one.<P>TTT: <UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Gandalf exorcising Theoden. Theoden being possessed by Saruman makes Wormtongue somewhat obsolete.<LI>The Entmoot. It devalues the Ents that they did not decide to march against Isengard themselves, but had to be tricked into doing so.<LI>And, of course, those darned hyena-lemmings. </UL>
Old 06-28-2003, 10:03 PM   #3
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I've edited my original post to include the exorsism & the entmoot, but I didn't mind the hyena/lemming/warthog/warg scenes.
Old 06-29-2003, 04:14 AM   #4
Daisy Brambleburr
Shade of Carn Dûm

Daisy Brambleburr has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

FotR: 'Let's hunt some orc!' Some people like it, but it makes me cringe.<P>TTT: Entmoot, for the points that have already been raised. <P>'Looks like meat's back on the menu boys!' *Mega cringe!*<P>Nazgul/Osgiliath scene. Also didn't make too much sense. Sauron thinks Merry and Pippin have the Ring and it's on it's way to Minas Tirith, so what's going to happen when it suddenly turns up on his doorstep? <P>Faramir, to a point (but I've heard somewhere that he redeems himself by leading the hobbits out by the Osgiliath sewers). It did bother me, but not as it did some people. I think the actor did a good job with what he was given.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:31 AM   #5
Tinuviel the Nightingale
Shade of Carn Dûm

Tinuviel the Nightingale has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril

FotR: The Hobbit scenes started to get boring after a while. But I still like watching them.<P>TTT: Haldir dying. That caused a noise of outrage from me when I saw it for the first time.<p>[ June 29, 2003: Message edited by: Tinuviel the Nightingale ]
Tinuviel the Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2003, 08:26 AM   #6
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I love the way you have all listed the parts that I like the most...<P>Fotr: too much Hobbit. Waaay too much.<P>TTT: Sam's long-winded speech and all the emotional "it's the ring, isn't it? (no, my trousers are too tight... what do you think??)" parts between Frodo and Sam.
Old 06-29-2003, 05:30 PM   #7
Lush
Fair and Cold

Lush is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Send a message via ICQ to Lush Send a message via AIM to Lush Send a message via Yahoo to Lush
Sting

FotR: The endless close-ups of poor-little-helpless-tragic-sad-afflicted-burdened-et cetera Frodo. <P>TTT: The poor-little-helpless-tragic-sad-afflicted-burdened-et cetera kids from Rohan. And the short jokes with Gimli got a bit old after the thousandth time.
Old 06-30-2003, 06:32 AM   #8
Darby
Animated Skeleton

Darby has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

What, no one else hated the Arwen and Frodo scene at the Ford? "Nooo, Frooodooo!" <BR>I always loved the Ford of Bruinen scene in the book because Frodo finally go to show some backbone. "Go back, go back to the land of Mordor!" In this one, he's just mostly comatose. <BR>I didn't have much of a problem with anything in the second movie, mostly because it was just so different from the book there was almost no comparison. Just... Faramir was all wrong, imo. He needed to be cuter and skinnier and more like a Robin Hood figure - with a sharper wit. Not like Boromir's mini-me.<BR>That's only my opinion, of course.
Old 06-30-2003, 07:17 AM   #9
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Silmaril

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> I didn't mind the hyena/lemming/warthog/warg scenes. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Oh, I didn't mind the scenes themselves at all. In fact, I was really quite excited when I saw from the trailers that the film would feature Warg-Riders and I think that this battle-scene makes a good addition to the film. My gripe is with the design of the Wargs. To me, they just don't look like Wargs should, namely terrifying and malevolent super-wolves. They look more like some crude attempt to make a soft toy out of a hyena. Oh, and I don't like the fact that one of them feels the curious need to throw itself off a cliff, leading to a totally unnecessary "Aragorn is dead" sub-plot.
Old 06-30-2003, 08:46 AM   #10
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Sting

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> leading to a totally unnecessary<BR> "Aragorn is dead" sub-plot. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR> I so agree with you there!<BR> TTT: I also disliked the Aragorn & Arwen scenes.<BR> Lush: The short Gimli jokes got old after the 2nd one... <BR> FotR: I disliked the Arwen at the Fords scene at first...but I've gotten used to it enough now, if only because it fit in fairly well & wasn't AS stupid as Aragorn's daydreams !<BR> <BR> <p>[ June 30, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 06-30-2003, 06:01 PM   #11
Shy Hobbit
Wight

Shy Hobbit has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

FotR: The Urak-Hai birthing scenes, and when Saruman is giving them orders. I just don't like em. <P>TTT: Some of the Aragorn/Arwen stuff was too drawn out. <P>Faramir's "Tell my father I send a mighty gift" or whatever line, cause I hate Denethor. (sorry, Meela)<P>Galadriel. Why is Galadriel in there?

~The Fellowship of the King~
Shy Hobbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2003, 06:53 AM   #12
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

*giggles* Denethor's a prat. Insult him all you like.<P>Omg... did I really say that... *breaks down in floods of tears and takes it back*<P>Yeh, why is Galadriel in there? Why not Celeborn the gorgeous-super-yet-ignored-elf? Or just no elves at all? Or put in Glorfindel to make up for cutting him out of Fotr.<BR>Or better still, give yet another part to Arwen! She obviously needs more screen time, what with her hardly being mentioned, let alone getting in on the action.<p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: Meela ]
Old 07-01-2003, 10:01 AM   #13
Elennar Starfire
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Elennar Starfire has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Elennar Starfire
Sting

FotR: mostly things they left out, like Tom Bombadil and the gifts in Lothlorien. (ok, they put that in the extended version, but it still bugs me.) I also didn't like how they gave Glorfindel's part to Arwen. And <I>they left out the Barrow Downs!!!</I> <P>TTT: too many battle scenes, They weren't supposed to go to Osgiliath, Aragorn falling off the cliff, Arwen leaving for Valinor(although I heard that that will be fixed in RotK), and the entmoot. Also I wanted to see Shelob, but that <I>has</I> to be in RotK.
Old 07-01-2003, 02:30 PM   #14
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>And they left out the Barrow Downs!!!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Exactly. That's what bugged me a lot in FotR. And the gift-giving scene. I mean, it is a brilliant scene, but it's the fact that Sam <I>didn't get his box!</I> Thus blatantly showing that the Scouring of the Shire is <B>not</B> going to be in RotK, which thoroughly gets on my case.<P>In Towers: any of the scenes with Arwen. The pacing was all wrong, and they seemed really forced because she's NOT SUPPOSED TO BE THERE!!! gr I think PJ kinda had to have her in there, just so there could be some competition for Eowyn. Eowyn is a much more emotional character in the way she relates to Aragorn; Arwen wastes time looking all ethereal and crap. Sorry PJ, but your Arwen-sympathy-plan backfired...<P>Also the rapid hamster-lemmings that are supposed to pass for Wargs. And the Aragorn-is-dead subplot; so not needed, honestly. All they did that for was so he could see the Uruk-hai army coming and run in to tell Theoden. I believe there are things called SCOUTS that could've done the same thing.<P>That's all for now, but I might come back with more.....<P>Abedithon le,<P>~*~Aranel~*~
Old 07-01-2003, 07:30 PM   #15
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

The only problem I have with the gift giving ( besides Sam not getting his box ) was the things Sam said. When he said, " Have you run out of those nice shiny daggers? ", it really made him sound <I>un</I>-grateful! Actually Arwen was probably leaving for the battelfields with Aragorn's standard/banner. I wish it were not so . I can only hope that she won't be <I>fighting</I> in the battle! Is nothing sacred!? <p>[ July 01, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 07-01-2003, 08:13 PM   #16
Sapphire_Flame
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Sapphire_Flame has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Is nothing sacred!?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>Sadly, no. If things were, the Scouring would still be in place, Faramir would have been done correctly, and Arwen would only barely been hinted at in Towers.<P>A bit depressing really...
Old 07-03-2003, 01:36 AM   #17
Noxomanus
Wight

Noxomanus has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I dislike ALL the Arwen scenes,except the Fords of Bruinen eventhough it was Glorfindels role. It's so untrue to the books and so unneccesary to have these scenes.They could better have spend the time by including Radagast or something.
Old 07-03-2003, 08:43 AM   #18
Arathyn

Sting

I disliked the way they portrayed Faramir. In the books he really is a nice guy. But in the movie they make him out to be a cold hearted jerk!<P>I also dislike the Entmoot scene. They shouldn't have been tricked!!!!
Old 07-04-2003, 03:40 PM   #19
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

I think many of us agree with you there, Arathyn...
Old 07-04-2003, 04:23 PM   #20
arianrod
Wight

Location: Wandering Hobbiton, smiling at the hobbits & trying to sell them vacuum cleaners
arianrod has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to arianrod
Shield

In FotR: <BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>That whole Arwen crying over Frodo thing after the flood at the Ford of Bruinen. What in the Shire was that?!<BR><LI>The Aragorn/Arwen scene before the Council of Elrond. I always skip through it.<BR><LI>Galadriel's light and shadow show. She creeps me out in the movies.<BR><LI>The many many many times Frodo held the Ring out in front of him. It made me want to smack him and ask him whether or not he really <B>did</B> want someone to just waltz by and take it. *Yoink!*<BR><LI>Elrond saying "Morrrdorrr". I don't know how everyone else at the Council endured that without turning homicidal on each other... *cringe*<BR><LI>And, like The Real Estel said, Sam's line of "Have you run out of those nice shiny daggers?" was <I>very</I> un-Sam-like.<BR></UL><P>In TTT:<BR><UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Faramir. He was all wrong. <BR><LI>The Aragorn and Arwen scenes for reasons already stated.<BR><LI>The "Aragorn's dead!" subplot for reasons already stated (it's "FRODO lives!", not "ARAGORN lives!" for Eru's sake).<BR><LI>Most of the Treebeard/Ent scenes. The Ents were also pretty off, and don't even get me started on Treebeard.<BR><LI>The length of Helm's Deep. It took one chapter in the book, and about one third of the movie. Now my math isn't all that great, but I'm pretty sure that doesn't equal out...<BR></UL><P>And one thing I'll HATE about RotK:<BR>No Scouring of the Shire!!! I can't believe</b> Peter's doing that! I'm still in doubt. Part of me is still holding on to the hope that we'll walk in to the theater and see that it was all a hoax and PJ just wanted it to be a surprise for everyone... Please be a hoax! That chapter was one of my favorite parts in the entire LotR book, and that's saying alot.<P>Welcome to the Downs, Arathyn. Hope you enjoy being dead!
arianrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2003, 09:11 PM   #21
Kiah
Animated Skeleton

Kiah has just left Hobbiton.
Question

My least favorite part in<BR>FOTR: Arwen's little fighting scene, she stole Glorfindel's part!<BR>TTT: Osgilliath (Sp?)- dang it I am so mad about P.J. decided to change Faramir's whole character and definitly the Arwen and Aragorn love scene *blarg*. I did sorta like the wargs but the Aragorn falls off cliff was cheesy.