The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Books
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2003, 11:59 AM   #41
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

well perhaps Tar Elenion has a head for this sort of thing, but I have already done what I can [ and spent waaay too long at it too [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] ].

I think that the contradictions are way to embedded.

We shall in future posts just have to speak as carefully as possible.
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 01:43 PM   #42
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Sorry to nitpick Lalaith (My god, this is beginning to sound repetitive) but:

. The Vanyar, led by Ingwe, are the only elves with golden hair, and they never returned to Middle Earth.

Some returned for 40 odd years in the war of wrath.

However, the Noldo Finarfin, Galadriel's father, married a Vanya which is why she has gold hair.

Finarfin married a Telerin princes-Earwen, daughter of Olwe. It was Finwe who married a Vanyar, Indis, who was close kin of Ingwe, sometimes she was his sister and sometimes his niece. Finarfin and his children, have golden hair. Just a question where is it in the Silmarillion that states that Fingolfin had golden hair? His eldest son, Fingon, is said to have dark, gold-plaited hair (Hence his Quenya name Findekano-hair shout) and Aredhel also had dark hair, and I’m sure that Argon had dark hair as well. I have never, to my knowledge found nay reference to Turgon’s hair, or it’s colour. Anyone know? Also, on the subject of Aegnor’s hair, which was said to be ‘strong and stiff, rising upon his head like fire’. Well it seems that Aegnor ha pretty funky hair. Anyone care to describe it in their own way. I fancy he was rather like some characters form a Japanese anime named Dragonball Z.

So, there’ my nitpicking, though I suppose that someone will be picking my nits soon enough. I would also like to say how much I have enjoyed reading this topic and there have been many great and informative posts.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 03:03 PM   #43
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The Silmarillion states that only Finarfin and his descendents inherited the golden hair of his mother, Indis:

Quote:
Alone among the Noldorin princes he and his descendants had golden hair, derived from his mother Indis, who was a Vanyarin Elf.
Turgon's daugther Idril is the only exception we see:

Quote:
But fairer than all the wonders of Gondolin was Idril, Turgon's daughter, she that was called Celebrindal, the Silver-foot, whose hair was as the gold of Laurelin before the coming of Melkor.
A possible explanation of this is that she inherited this hair colour from Elenwë, her mother.

Your generalizations of hair colour are way too broad.

Vanyar were not the only kindred to have golden hair. That is totally, completely false. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]

Thranduil and Glorfindel (just off the top of my head) had golden hair.

ALMOST all of the Vanyar had blonde hair. MOST of the Noldor had dark hair. The hair colour of the Teleri is varied (dark, gold, silver).

You must think of it like this: 144 elves awoke in the beginning. They didn't divide themselves up into three/four groups based on hair colour and only reproduce within their own groups. The division of kindreds came later on when the elves were deciding which [eventual] elf-lord they would follow.
Old 01-16-2003, 04:41 PM   #44
obloquy
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

obloquy has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to obloquy
Sting

Exactly. Well said, Legalos.

The reason the tribes (as they eventually divided) had largely similar features was probably due to most sticking to their close kindred, and thus each tribe being generally -- though definitely not exclusively -- comprised of a particular family or many related families.

Another similar post.
obloquy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:02 PM   #45
Lalaith
Blithe Spirit

Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Lalaith is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Sting

Mea Culpa, Inderjit. Of course it was Finarfin's mother not his wife that had golden hair. I don't know how I came to make such an error. :blush:
Old 01-16-2003, 06:06 PM   #46
lindil
Seeker of the Straight Path

lindil has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Forget hair colour!

Was Gil-Galad [ if he was born in M-E] the High-King of the noldor but not a High-Elf?! [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img]
The dwindling Men of the West would often sit up late into the night exchanging lore & wisdom such as they still possessed that they should not fall back into the mean estate of those who never knew or indeed rebelled against the Light.
lindil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2003, 06:51 PM   #47
Legolas
A Northern Soul

Legolas has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Of course not. [img]smilies/wink.gif[/img] I'm in full agreement. Whether or not the classification of "Calaquendi" is not inherited, being the label of High Elf is. All Caliquendi are High Elves, but not all High Elves are Calaquendi.
Old 01-17-2003, 07:48 AM   #48
Jurion
Haunting Spirit

Jurion has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

I agree, Gil-Galad was a High Elf by inheritance but he was not a Calaquendi.
Jurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2003, 09:26 AM   #49
Inderjit Sanghera
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Inderjit Sanghera has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Note: The quote on the fact that all Blonde haired elves hair was blonde was a quote from someone else’s post and I was correcting it. My fault, I should have made that clearer.

"Life is so beautiful"->Don Vito Corleone
Inderjit Sanghera is offline   Reply With Quote