The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > Novices and Newcomers
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-19-2003, 08:26 PM   #1
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Sting The Different Kindreds of Elves

I know there are several different Kindreds of elves, and I have a question about them:

What is the main difference between all of the Kindreds? I know they are divided into two groups, the ones who have seen the light of the tree of Valinor, and those who have not; but that is basically all I know!

Please help my ignorance! [img]smilies/frown.gif[/img]

[ July 19, 2003: Message edited by: Sirithheruwen ]
Old 07-20-2003, 08:19 AM   #2
Meela
Denethor's True Love

Meela has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The East-elves (or Avari), who loved the forests and were content there.

The West-elves, who conceived an awareness of their destiny and awaited a manifestation of it. These were the Eldar- the three kindreds who were summoned to dwell across the sea in Eldamar, and who began the great journey into the West for that purpose.
Thus, far back in the First Age, two of these kindreds at last sailed out of Middle Earth to the Undying Lands and dwelt there agelessly in peace and exaltation. However, the lesser elves remained in Middle Earth throughout the Elder Days and with them lingered a part of the Third Kindred of the Eldar, the Sindar (Grey-elves), who had stilled the Eldarin Sea-longing and had chosen to pass their days in Mortal Lands rather than sail into the West.

There's more, but it's drifting into irrelevance to the subject. I can add it all if you wish to know more.