The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-20-2004, 02:39 PM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree Are Sauron and Jaba related?

In watching Return of the Jedi, I saw something very weird. In looking at Jaba the Hut's eyes, I saw a strange resemblance to the eye of Sauron in the first movie. I'm sure PJ didn't get the design from it, but it's an uncanny resemblance. Yes, Jaba's eye isn't floating over a tower of darkness, but it does have the thin, vertical slit, surrounded by a fiery red border. Just something to think about.
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:48 PM   #2
Son of Númenor
A Shade of Westernesse

Son of Númenor has just left Hobbiton.
PJ and George Lucas: both cat haters?
Son of Númenor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 02:59 PM   #3
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

Sadness.

No, I think that cats just have an undeserved evil aura around them. Maybe because witches (think Halloween here) like them. But it is creepy. Every other animal I think has a regular humanish eyes. But cats -- cats are different.

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:20 PM   #4
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
White Tree

...ok...but what does that have to do with the eye relation of Jaba and Sauron?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2004, 11:46 PM   #5
Imladris
Tears of the Phoenix

Imladris has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

They're both bad guys punk.

I thought that was obvious, I suppose I should have been more clear in my post.

[QUOTE] I'm sure PJ didn't get the design from it, but it's an uncanny resemblance. [/QUOTE

because [insert my previous post here]

Of course....you could be referring to SoN's post...

Imladris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 12:37 AM   #6
Morsul the Dark
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Morsul the Dark is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Pipe

maybe jabawhat Sauron first looked like when began to take physical form again? plus cat eyes are always creepy
Old 11-26-2004, 03:07 AM   #7
BlackKnight12

Tolkien Hi

It might help with the animation alot if they get more room that they have for fire to move around and also with a slit for a eye looks more mystical then if they had done a normal human resemblance of a eye. If they had tried to over do it it might look like he might not of ever been who he was if they over did the eye it might make him some mystical creature. I think they did a very well done job of sauron and other characters they put alot of thought into this movie. Most books that become movies they dont even come close to the book. I think they did a very well done job.

Last edited by BlackKnight12; 11-26-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Old 11-26-2004, 07:53 AM   #8
gorthaur_cruel
Haunting Spirit

gorthaur_cruel has just left Hobbiton.
I thought it was pretty obvious....after Gollum fell into Mt. Doom, he did the impossible: yes, he adapted to the life inside lava. The Ring was actually not completely unmade: its power was transferred to Gollum. Now, Gollum, with the Ring's power, not only survived, but became powerful. He managed to climb out of the lava, but half of his body had melted so that he looked like a slug.

Yes...Gollum, after his years of drinking lava, became fat...he IS Jabba the Hutt. As the Ring's power passed into him, his eye...well, you get the idea
gorthaur_cruel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 03:53 PM   #9
THE Ka
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.THE Ka is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Send a message via MSN to THE Ka
Boots An explanation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris
Sadness.

No, I think that cats just have an undeserved evil aura around them. Maybe because witches (think Halloween here) like them. But it is creepy. Every other animal I think has a regular humanish eyes. But cats -- cats are different.
I can answer that...

Have you ever wondered why the pupil of a cat's eyes becomes a vertical slit when it contracts, while most other mammals, including humans, all have eyes that contract to a tiny circle?

There is a good answer for the difference.

Cats evolved to be nocturnal hunters, As a result, they can see well in very dim light. Because their eyes are so sensitive to light, cats need very precise control over the amount of light reaching their eyes, this ability is particularly important in bright sunlight.

Being able to reduce the pupils to slits rather than tiny circles gives the cat greater and more accurate control of how much light enters their eyes.

Vertical slits also have another advantage over horizontal slits.

Because the cat's eyelids close at right angles to the vertical pupil, the cat can reduce the amount of light even further by bringing its eyelids closer and closer together. This combination of the vertical slits of the pupils and the horizontal slits of the eyelids, allows the cat to make the most delicate adjustments of the light reaching its eye compared to any other animal.

The pupils of the lion are an interesting comparison.
The lion hunts by day, not by night as the cat does.
The lion does not have the same sensitivity to light as the cat. And the lion's eyes contract like ours do - to tiny circles, not vertical slits.
So, next time your favorite kitty gives you that mystical look through slitted eyes... you will know why.

Hope this helps. Does this remind you of sauron? The control on the amount of light allowed... Sounds like his control over Mordor.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I too noticed the connection of Jaba and Sauron... Good Point. I really don't know why but, the woodmen that Theoden meets up with in the Two Towers have always reminded me of Chubaca... Really. Don't ask...

~Reference Desk Ka~

Last edited by THE Ka; 11-26-2004 at 03:55 PM. Reason: More information to give...
THE Ka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2004, 05:20 PM   #10
Elven-Maiden
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elven-Maiden has just left Hobbiton.
Dark-Eye

I always knew Star Wars was a masterpiece, but I never realized why.

Mobilis in Mobile
Elven-Maiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2004, 10:01 PM   #11
Gurthang
Sword of Spirit

Gurthang has just left Hobbiton.
The Eye

Well, here's another similarity.

They both stayed in one spot, acting all big and bad, and did nothing while everyone else did all the work!

Now that is a big coincidence.