The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-27-2004, 05:20 PM   #1
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

The Perky Ent has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to The Perky Ent
1420! Downsaholics Anonymous

Well, i didn't see any thread like it....so i'm starting it! Have a story to tell? Need help? This is the place!

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

Hi.....my name is.....The Per....ky Ent....and....um....i'm.....i'm a.....downsaholic At first it was just healthy posting. I mean, i balanced my posting equally. A little Books here, and Novices here, and occasionally, movies. I was a prominent poster in the Shire. I had a regular character in the Green Dragon. But then i saw it. It was there in plain sight, but i never saw it until....until now. The Quiz Room. Millions of threads on the move. Every minute, a new responce. I was overwhealmed! I picked a nice thread. Family Ties (with no shoelases). That was my first. It was founded my Nilpaurion Felagond. He changed my life. Immediatly, I was drawn in! I couldn't stop. Then i saw them! 20 Questions on ME, A to Z of Middle Earth, First Age Trivia! i couldn't stop. Pretty soon, there was a collum containing just Perky Ent. But i couldn't stop there! I needed more! I started bumping threads every five seconds! I revived threads from 2 years ago. It was taking over. But then i said, 500 posts and i'll quit. Well, now i'm at around 550 posts and i can't quit. I've tried. I really have. But every time i scroll down to The Shire, i see them. The questions are always there. No one there but he. I just can't stop! I used to be hooked on Quotable Quotes, but i quit. I wish i could do the same for The Quiz Room, but there's too many threads! HEEELLLPPP! *exhales* glad to get that off my chest. Whoooo. It feels good to let it all out. It's nice to share the pain. *exhales* Deep breath.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

That was an example of a typical session. Now, who will be next?
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
The Perky Ent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 05:48 PM   #2
Pyroclastic
Haunting Spirit

Pyroclastic has just left Hobbiton.
White-Hand Is there still hope?

Hi, my name is Pyroclastic, but please call me Pyro. I'm a Downsaholic. It all started last August, when I became lonely for some fellow LOTR freaks. It was nice, I felt so comforted to find such friends as you people. Then I noticed the time I spent on here begin to increase. I spent three days writing a story for the Eowyn Challenge Walk to Rivendell House Cup. I spent three weeks finding, editing, and uploading an avatar. Isn't it beautiful? You see my problem? As time went on, I began to work Downs related things into all of my conversations. "Yeah, yesterday on the Barrows we were talking about something like that..." Everthing began to fade to black, as all I ever viewed was the black Barrowdowns page. Friends tried to pull me back to the light, and I resisted. Is there any hope for me? I'll check back in a few hours...
Old 03-27-2004, 06:18 PM   #3
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Hope Fades

Hope fades... into the world of night...

I am sorry, Pyro, but you have all the signs of a dread Downaholic... perhaps you could try to go on other sites instead... like fanfiction.net... or mine... which appears to be replacing the barrowdowns at the time... http://ennaani.proboards3.com

Maybe there is hope for you... but you are fading fast... I doubt that one could call you back now...

Your only hope is to go with the flow, and fall completely into the Downs... maybe it will spit you back out.

But, until then, downaholic, have fun. Don't let the Downs get to you, it's fun to be dead, here, with other LOTR fanatics. At least you will have others stuck, forever wandering the mindless voids of the Barrowdowns.

You are not alone... can I get free from this trap...? I think not.

Slowly, you will die, slip into the dread ranks of over 100 posts. And it will happen.
All you have to decide is what to do with the time that is given you.

Welcome to the ranks of Downaholic.

But do not despair. Others face the same doom... and others have faced it, and defeated it. You may be faced with the same evil, and you might defeat it...

At the moment, I suggest a new help site. Lotraholics, for we suffer even more... doomed to spend all our days quoting Tolkien's works... HELP!

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:17 PM   #4
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
Hello, my name is Thorongil, and I too, fear that I may have become a Downsaholic. A friend of mine first showed me this site, and solved quizzes, found an elvish name, read fictions and stuff like that. Then, I started posting in the forums. It started with N&N, i asked some questions about things I wondered about, and then I suffered the same fate as Perky: the quiz room! That and quotable quotes has taken over. It is too late for me, but maybe I can help others.
Old 03-28-2004, 04:53 PM   #5
Duncariel
Wight

Duncariel has just left Hobbiton.
Deadliness Revived

Few, I have not been here in a long time. I once was one of those downsaholics, on the internet every five minutes, able to name off a couple hundred 'downers without even trying. Those were the days. Carefree and happy I was then, until I was sucked into that dark void called High School. Six tests a day, speeches to memorize, monologues to write, friends to catch up with. Needless to say, I started to fall behind. Soon, I had been making maybe one post a week, then one a month, and then....well, you get the picture.

Then, one fateful day in mid-March, I returned. My eyes opened to the world as I once saw it. Tolkienites sharing in the love and joys of being among those who understood them. How beautiful it all truly is. Needless to say, much has changed. I have changed........

And that was really long and drawn out, sorry....
Old 03-28-2004, 05:35 PM   #6
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Kransha has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Kransha
Oh, I am sorely in need of such a thread. I feel rather honored to even be a downsaholic, since I still consider myself a newcomer. Technically, I have a lot of posting and forum experience, but I fear I am still immature in the ways of the wonderful Barrow-Downs. It pains me, gnawing at me like a warg pup, that I do not have the full scope of being dead enveloped into my countenance yet.

Well, I should get going then. To be blunt, you can call me Kransha. I used to be a good, law-abiding, self-respecting boy, who read all day, listened to classical music, and preached zelously about Tolkein as the fanatical psychotic within me requested. Now, I find that I am still a fanatic, but no longer a good, saintly, white wizard, oh no. I have descended with the Balrog to the very depths of darkness. I found this site many months ago and was primarily fascinated by it's name generators and games. Then, I found that it had a bustling forum. It was too perfect. I could have fun Tolkein-ly, I could exercise my meager writing skills in the RPG Section, I could relate my love of Tolkein's work, everything...

Now, I am boldly not ashamed to say that I spend most of my liesure hours here, since there always seems to be something I can read on the forums even if I'm not posting. In only a short month-and-a-half, I have become a hopeless downsaholic. HELP ME! I fear, though the road goes ever on an on, I'm very literally stuck on this one, and it shows no sign of ending anyway.

-Aeschylus, Song of the Furies
Kransha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:04 PM   #7
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, you can call me Firefoot. And I fear that I too, have become a downsaholic in just a few short months. Like Thorongil and Perky Ent, I have been struck by Quiz Room-itis, and am constantly checking in to see if there are any new questions to answer. I spend much of my free time here. It is the first thing I do in the morning and one of the last things before I go to bed. I need serious help, but I don't think it would help because even if I tried, I really don't want to stop. I fear I am too deep in to save myself but let this be fair warning to any who are not yet addicted: The Downs are very addicting!
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:36 PM   #8
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril Signs of being a Downsaholic

Here is a key to help cure being a Downsaholic. Remember, being a downsaholic is a diesase, not a crime.

Symptoms: Worn out Tolkien Books, millions of page markers in books, spams

Problem: It appears that you are suffering from Bookiosis. Bookisos is a rare disease that occurs to serious posters on the Downs and newbies who post in the first Forum they see.

Cure: Unfortunatly, the only cure for Bookiosis so far will not cure you of being a downsaholic. The only known cure for Bookiosis is to either commit to Nov and New, Quiz Room, Middle Earth Mirth, or join an RPG.

Symptoms: Making fun of Newbies, constantly posting things without much though, bordom induced posting

Problem: You are suffering from Novia-et-Newia, a rare disease found in people who have been posting on the downs for a long time. Very rare, yet easily to cure.

Cure: There is one cure. Get a life. Stop tormenting yourself with the pointlessness. It will only make you more of an addict. Just get a life and move on.

Symptoms: Fried eyes, Broken movies and DVD's. Quoting Spasms.

Problem: Yep! It's a textbook case! You are suffering from Movioma. The actual word would be virus, not disease. It starts to consume you as you constantly post in the movies. Constantly checking the EE appendicies looking for comments.

Cure: A easy cury for Movioma is to watch other movies. A lot of other movies. Hopefully, the dranage effect should reduce your urge. If it doesn't, consider watching a really bad movie. It helps to clear your mind.

Symptoms: Obsessive posting, refreshing the forum every 2 seconds, pestering people about missed posts, constantly bumping threads, having ongoing conversations throughout a thread

Problem: Yes, you have it. The most fatal and popular disease currently spreading through the barrow downs faster then any other. You have Quiz Roomitis!

Cure: Sorry, there is no current cure for Quiz Roomitis. Just live the rest of you life to the fullest!

Symptoms: millions of page markers in books, constant search engines running for quotes, friends searching through multible books

Problem: You are Quotaphobic. Not as powerful as Quiz Room-itis, but still powerful.

Cure:If you get someone to hide your books, and let the threads go bye, it should cure the urge.

Symptoms: Knowing too much about the Sil, being too smart

Problem: You suffer from Silmariliapox

Cure The cure for Silmariliapox is simply to stop being such a nerd. Just don't be a nerd. Ya nerd! God, you're such a nerd!

Symptoms: Forgotten homework assignments, spending all your time on the downs reading, spending weeks on a 5 paragraph post

Problem: You have RPGemia. It is common in a lot of downers and is not easy to cure, as you make a commitment by joining a RPG.

Cure: One cure for RPGemia is going on Hiatus. Taking a break. Saying you'll be out even though you won't. this cure wooks for some, but not others, as they will be caught posting in other forums but not the RPGs. Another harder cure is to balance your time, by placing convient saves and filling them in when you have time. Don't place a save when you know you can't fill it the next day. Also, make a chart of how many day's you have until they kick you out.

Symptoms: Being funny, having humor, having a good time.

Problems: There is nothing wrong with you. By posting in Middle Earth Mirth you prove you're not crazy.

Cure: posting in Middle Earth Mirth is the cure!

I really hope my posts helps those in need!
'But Melkor also was there, and he came to the house of Fëanor, and there he slew Finwë King of the Noldor before his doors, and spilled the first blood in the Blessed Realm; for Finwë alone had not fled from the horror of the Dark.'
Old 03-29-2004, 02:36 AM   #9
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
For those Downsaholics who haven't had their fix for today, here's some fun reading:
Top Ten Signs You're Addicted to the Barrow-Downs. Enjoy!
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:02 AM   #10
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
Meep!

Mae Govannen,

my name is Morgul and I used to be a 'Downs-a-holic, but recently (or not so recently) I got caught up in the Golden Ring Marathon. I used to not be able to go a day without spending at least 3 hours here, but now....well, now...this is my first trip on in 3 months

*cries* The new system's too complicated for me and it took me 18 minutes to figure out how to reply to a PM! I need help, someone aid me to become a 'Downs-a-holic once more! *breaks down into deep, heart-wrenching sobs*
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 06:27 AM   #11
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Morgul, you'll find lots of answers concerning the new format on two threads on the Barrow-Downs forum: vBulletin 3 Discoveries and vBulletin 3 Gold Questions. If yours aren't answered there, do ask so that someone can help you! (In addition, the previous thread, vBulletin Questions might help too.)
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'

Last edited by Estelyn Telcontar; 03-29-2004 at 06:33 AM.
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 11:07 AM   #12
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Silmaril Hi...

Hi, my name is Sirithheruwen, but you can call me Siri. According to Perky's diagnosis. I have a healthy combination of all of them except RPGitis and Novia-et-Newia. (I tend to lean towards Middle-Earth Mirth, though.) Okay, so maybe it's not a HEALTHY combination.
Old 03-29-2004, 03:09 PM   #13
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

Location: The port of Mars, where Famine, Sword, and Fire, leash'd in like hounds, crouch for employment
Strangely enough, fellow Downsaholics (to contribute to my addiction, I actually feel a tinge of unworthiness to be called that, a beloved title in my eyes), I have never, to my recollection, even attempted a post in the Quiz section. I find that I can 'spam' per se just as easily in all other areas. I suppose I just find a place to post, and goshdarnit I post till the maeras come home.

Via diagnosis, so amply provided, I most definately have Bookiosis, that is undeniable. I may be the quintessential candidate for that, though I'm sure other Domsaholics suffer more avidly than I. As much of a book purist as I am, I also find that I suffer from acute Moviosis as well. Heavens to Illuvatar, I am a pitiful case. But, I am sure that I can find all the help I require, in a circle of others like me and probably much worse off.

Old 03-29-2004, 03:20 PM   #14
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, according to Perky Ent's diagnosis key, I have bad cases of Bookiosis and Quiz Roomitis (This one is very, very, very bad) and a growing case of Quotaphobia (Maybe the name should be changed; that sounds like I'm afraid of Quotes ) Maybe I should try RPGing - the other cures for Bookiosis aren't working, and you mean there is no cure for Quiz Roomitis? Oh dear, I really am in trouble then, aren't I.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 04:15 PM   #15
Maeggaladiel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The end of the world as we know it. I feel fine, incidentally.
Maeggaladiel has just left Hobbiton.
Narya *sniff sniff* NEWLY deceased?!? *Sniff*

You may laugh, but my name is Maeggaladiel, and I am a Downaholic.

Yes, my rank is currently "Newly Deceased," but let me explain;

Last year, the poster known as Maegaladiel would visit the Green Dragon and Middle Earth Mirth (Then known as Middle Earth Mayhem) twice a day. I was trapped in the hazy void of black and green every time I had a break at school. I had a regular character in the Dragon (Nahai, of the Skin Changers) and I had my own game column in MMMayhem. (That was the good old Round-About Game.) Then, I finally broke off. I experienced a horrid bout of withdrawal symptoms, but I managed to stay off for a year. When I returned, (will power broke. what can I say?) my entire account had been erased. Maegaladiel was gone. I had to add a G to my name in order to get a new account and start from scratch. Hence the MAEGGALADIEL name and the wicked NEWLY DECEASED. Now I'm back to my old habits, albeit I no longer have my own game or character, but I have been labeled as.. *sniff sniff* NEWLY DECEASED!!! I've died TWICE! The humanity, the horror! What's more, the extra g changes the meaning of my name from well-radiant to piercing radience. Hmm... That's not so bad, actually...

Horrified not as much at my lack of will then at my lowly rank,
MAEGGALADIEL of the TWO G's!
Old 03-29-2004, 04:43 PM   #16
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Huzzah!

By Perky Ent's diagnosis, whether here or on other fora, I have not one, not two, but all of the listed diseases! And I'm proud of the fact. Among the many LOTR fora I'm a part of, I have a rather serious case of all of these afflictions. And I'd rather not try to cure myself- where's the fun in that?

You know what? I love Mip.

Last edited by Luthien_ Tinuviel; 03-29-2004 at 05:38 PM.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:08 PM   #17
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

Hi. My name is Saraphim, and I am a Downsaholic. They say that admitting is the first step to quitting, but I also suffer from a disorder Silmariliapox.

But I am afraid that I cannot be cured, for I am so drawn into the dark pits of the Barrows that there may be no return to a normal life. Whenever I feel the inclination to leave the accursed, yet loved, Downs, I hear the whispers of the Wights at my back:

~"Cold be keyboard and monitor and mouse,
Cold be your skin when you reside in your house,
But nevermore shall you rise from stony bed,
Without logging on and checking the Dead."~
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 05:34 PM   #18
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Well I suppose it's some of my Novia-et-Newia coming out when I look at those of you with less than 200 posts or regstered less than six months ago and I say, "You are a Downsaholic?? You have no idea...You're still a newbie!" However, I firmly believe that I have the most advanced form of Quiz Roomitis that anyone has ever seen. Out of my 1400 some number of posts I wonder if perhaps at least eleven or maybe twelve-hundred of them are Quiz Room material. If you don't believe me, go ahead, check my profile and read where my posts are. I have been doing this for two and a half years now, and the quicksand is well over my head by a few fathoms I should guess. I am a Downsaholic, but it is quite easy to combat. I get bored of it sometimes because a lot of people who haven't been around ask some genuinely tough questions, but I've heard them all before from years or months past... O well, sometimes it's fun to toy with them. OI! There goes that Novia-et-Newia again
Old 03-29-2004, 09:00 PM   #19
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Lindolirian, you think you have the worst case of Quiz Room-itis ever? One word. Finwë. He was about 2000 posts in the Quiz Room! Oh wel...anyways, I was going to say that if you have found a cure symptom, or better way to describe a disease, PM me or post it and i'll add it to my list!

-The Perky Ent
Old 03-29-2004, 09:14 PM   #20
Luthien_ Tinuviel
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Luthien_ Tinuviel has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Luthien_ Tinuviel Send a message via MSN to Luthien_ Tinuviel
Boots

Quote:
One word. Finwë. He was about 2000 posts in the Quiz Room!
Heh... another one's fallen for it.... I hate to disillusion you, Perky, but our beloved Finwë is female....

I think Novia-et-Newia is hardly avoidable, really, in those who have been here for more than a year. You say it's rare, but you might be surprised.....

You know what? I love Mip.
Luthien_ Tinuviel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #21
Lindolirian
World's Tallest Hobbit

Lindolirian has just left Hobbiton.
Eh, you're right, Finwë is a very exceptional case. She's got the highest posts per day (don't quote me on that) and is the sixth highest poster! Not to mention she's only been here for 10 months. That is insane... she's crazy. But yeah, she posts in many more forums than I do. I'm about 98% percent Quiz Room; I think she's a bit more eclectic.
Old 03-29-2004, 10:15 PM   #22
Morgul Queen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Morgul Queen has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Morgul Queen
I wasn't complaining, so much as begging someone to help me become a 'Downs-a-holic again...
Morgul Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 01:52 AM   #23
Thorongil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Thorongil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Thorongil
I have the Quiz Room-itis, though not as strong as certain others, but it's coming along. I think I'm also a bit quotaphobic.
Old 03-30-2004, 05:47 PM   #24
luthien-elvenprincess
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: what are you doing here? did you come here to eat my popcorn?
luthien-elvenprincess has just left Hobbiton.
Hi, I am luthien-elvenprincess and I am a downsaholic.
AT first, I simply played the quizzes on the Barrowdowns web site, and I was satisified just experiencing that. But, one day my eyes strayed over the site and found the 'forum' section. Little did I know that day that I would fall into an endless cycle of quizzing. Simple curiousity was the excuse I would use. But, soon I had to come up with something better...somehow, I had to pacify my family..."Why, why, why?" they would ask as I sat in front of the computer searching through Tolkien books to find a quiz answer. "What is the point of this all?" they would ask. "Good literature is never a waste of time", I would self-righteously answer. "Hey, at least it keeps me off of e-bay" I reasoned aloud. My husband was satisfied with this truth...for awhile; until he caught me at the book store searching for Tolkien reference books!
Now, I find that even when I am not on-line...I am re-reading beloved Tolkien books...with a pen to mark pages that have a good trivia question or quote. Or, to write in a notebook that I now keep handy to record pages and information that I can use for a question on any of a number of quiz threads---if I ever get the correct answer first and have oppurtunity to post a question.
Will I ever find a cure...do I even want a cure?
Old 03-31-2004, 08:08 AM   #25
Sirithheruwen
Shade of Carn Dûm

Sirithheruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Shield To Add To Perky's List...

To Add To Perky's List...

ForumStalkeritis

Symptoms: Excessive use of the "Who's Online?" page.

Problem: Stalking fellow BDer's around the 'Downs.

Cure: The only way to prevent ForumStalkeritis from completely consuming you is repeating this everytime you feel the urge to click on the "Who's Online?" page: "I will not click here...I am not a stalker...I am a leader, not a follower." Repeat 10 times for the best results.
Old 03-31-2004, 03:26 PM   #26
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Hello...my name is Mad Baggins, and I am a Downsaholic.

It began when I was innocently surfing the Internet, looking for an Elvish name translator. I happened upon the Barrow Downs, and was impressed with all the names that came up. I noticed that the site had a forum and that was it. I made a username and began posting. I posted all the time. I couldn't stop. It was an epidemic. I noticed the Shire and entered. Again I was sucked in. When my computer broke down for three days I had conniptions every time I walked past it. When it was finally restored I attacked the forum with renewed vigour. I decided to get a new username. So I did. I began posting again, but with less ferocity. Soon it was no longer a feeding frenzy of posts every day, but more like a relaxed buffet. Still, I am hooked. Happily.
Old 03-31-2004, 07:10 PM   #27
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril Updated List

Updated List of Diseases:

Problem: It appears that you are suffering from Bookiosis. Bookisos is a rare disease that occurs to serious posters on the Downs and newbies who post in the first Forum they see.

Cure: Unfortunatly, the only cure for Bookiosis so far will not cure you of being a downsaholic. The only known cure for Bookiosis is to either commit to Nov and New, Quiz Room, Middle Earth Mirth, or join an RPG.

Symptoms: Making fun of Newbies, constantly posting things without much though, bordom induced posting

Problem: You are suffering from Novia-et-Newia, a rare disease found in people who have been posting on the downs for a long time. Very rare, yet easily to cure.

Cure: There is one cure. Get a life. Stop tormenting yourself with the pointlessness. It will only make you more of an addict. Just get a life and move on.

Problem: Yep! It's a textbook case! You are suffering from Movioma. The actual word would be virus, not disease. It starts to consume you as you constantly post in the movies. Constantly checking the EE appendicies looking for comments.

Cure: A easy cury for Movioma is to watch other movies. A lot of other movies. Hopefully, the dranage effect should reduce your urge. If it doesn't, consider watching a really bad movie. It helps to clear your mind.

Symptoms: Obsessive posting, refreshing the forum every 2 seconds, pestering people about missed posts, constantly bumping threads, having ongoing conversations throughout a thread

Problem: Yes, you have it. The most fatal and popular disease currently spreading through the barrow downs faster then any other. You have Quiz Roomitis!

Cure: Sorry, there is no current cure for Quiz Roomitis. Just live the rest of you life to the fullest!

Symptoms: millions of page markers in books, constant search engines running for quotes, friends searching through multible books

Problem: You are Quotaphobic. Not as powerful as Quiz Room-itis, but still powerful.

Cure:If you get someone to hide your books, and let the threads go bye, it should cure the urge.

Cure The cure for Silmariliapox is simply to stop being such a nerd. Just don't be a nerd. Ya nerd! God, you're such a nerd!

Symptoms: Forgotten homework assignments, spending all your time on the downs reading, spending weeks on a 5 paragraph post

Problem: You have RPGemia. It is common in a lot of downers and is not easy to cure, as you make a commitment by joining a RPG.

Cure: One cure for RPGemia is going on Hiatus. Taking a break. Saying you'll be out even though you won't. this cure wooks for some, but not others, as they will be caught posting in other forums but not the RPGs. Another harder cure is to balance your time, by placing convient saves and filling them in when you have time. Don't place a save when you know you can't fill it the next day. Also, make a chart of how many day's you have until they kick you out.

Problems: There is nothing wrong with you. By posting in Middle Earth Mirth you prove you're not crazy.

ForumStalkeritis

Problem: Someone has been abusing their power. You are suffering from Forum Stalkeritis, a drive-bye disease found during excessive posts.

Cure: The only way to prevent ForumStalkeritis from completely consuming you is repeating this everytime you feel the urge to click on the "Who's Online?" page: "I will not click here...I am not a stalker...I am a leader, not a follower." Repeat 10 times for the best results.

ANY MORE?!?
Old 03-31-2004, 07:43 PM   #28
Kransha
Ubiquitous Urulóki

There are, I believe, another one or two diseases.

Problem: The first is similar, in theory, to Silmarilopox, bit not quite. It stems from being too smart, but is more dangeroud to others. Though my name for is not necessarily the best one, I've dubbed it Hyperpostitis.

Symptoms: Primarily having long, sometimes massively off topic, almost entirely unreadable posts that are filled with stuff from LotR but are just too long and bizarre to even attempt reading. I myself have done this and, without offending anyone else, can honestly say I have seen posts like this from others (won't say who *whistles innocently*).

(Note: In truth, I love posts like this, but I'm sure they're not entirely heplful to some newcomers who might be utterly befuddled by a tremendous epic post)

Cure: Probably a simple toning it down. Long, thought-out posts are always encouraged, but after you've written such an epic monstrousity, take moment to read it over and make sure it is comprehendable.

The second problem, plausibly more dire.

Symptoms: You have become so attached to the Downs and its members that you are terrified of being shunned, even though the fact is unlikely, and thus never post anything controversial, interesting, argumentative, or even as far as your own views because you're afriad someone will disagree.

Problem: Barrowostriphobia (ooh, that's quite a name) is what I decided to dub this, since I believe it is a deep rooted fear of earning dislike from any member of the Downs in the form of 'cold-shoulder giving' or ostricism.

Cure: Just take a deep breath, wait for the oppurtunity to rise, and post as any person would. Don't be afriad if you're wrong or if someone doesn't agree. Unless you do something really stupid, you're on the right track (if you have done something really stupid, be afraid...be very, very afraid).

Old 03-31-2004, 08:01 PM   #29
ElenCala Isil
Shade of Carn Dûm

ElenCala Isil has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to ElenCala Isil Send a message via Yahoo to ElenCala Isil
Alas, I am ElenCala Isil (call me Mip) and I'm afraid I am a downsoholic. I, fell to the power of the downs when a friend discreetly handed me a url in a back alley. I.. I took it without thinking, and my life has never been the same. I even hallucinate, thinking there are barrow-wights in every corner, I spend days trying to perfect posts, and I feel powerless without it. Mirth, in particular, has become my happy drug. It would seem I'm proving I'm not crazy, I just have a good time, but I feel that I may have acute RPGemia! I have often thought in math class Eep! I forgot to do my homework! But I know those extra hours of perfecting my RPG post will have paid off. When's the next time I can get to a computer? I have to check if someone has replied!!I know I used to have quotophobia, but I seem to have broken the disease sucessfully. Some might say I suffer from Silmariliopox, but if I'm led to believe it might be Hyperpostitis. *hangs head* I know I have Forum Stalkeritis. I've suffered from it since I can remember, and I don't think I have it in me to stop. And the one disease that I suffer from severely, is Movioma. The quote spasms seem to grow daily, more and more until I get to the point that when given a sheet of paper, I begin to write out a movie script! But with your professional examinations of said diseases, I shall try to recover from my symptoms. Perhaps there is hope for me yet!
Old 03-31-2004, 08:45 PM   #30
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril Updated List 2.0

ForumStalkeritis

Problem: Someone has been abusing their power. You are suffering from Forum Stalkeritis, a drive-bye disease found during excessive posts.

Symptoms: Primarily having long, sometimes massively off topic, almost entirely unreadable posts that are filled with stuff from LotR but are just too long and bizarre to even attempt reading. I myself have done this and, without offending anyone else, can honestly say I have seen posts like this from others (won't say who *whistles innocently*)

Problem: Hyperpostitis.

Cure: Probably a simple toning it down. Long, thought-out posts are always encouraged, but after you've written such an epic monstrousity, take moment to read it over and make sure it is comprehendable

Symptoms: You have become so attached to the Downs and its members that you are terrified of being shunned, even though the fact is unlikely, and thus never post anything controversial, interesting, argumentative, or even as far as your own views because you're afriad someone will disagree

Problem: Barrowostriphobia, a deep rooted fear of earning dislike from any member of the Downs in the form of 'cold-shoulder giving' or ostricism

Cure: Just take a deep breath, wait for the oppurtunity to rise, and post as any person would. Don't be afriad if you're wrong or if someone doesn't agree. Unless you do something really stupid, you're on the right track (if you have done something really stupid, be afraid...be very, very afraid)

yay! Now this is becomming like a field guide!
Old 04-03-2004, 09:39 AM   #31
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

IMPORTANT: Remember, don't stick to following this guide! There are many others out there. And remember, this thread isn't just a field guide, it's a DA, so to keep the thread clean, stick to telling your story, unless your idea is very good, in which case PM me, i'll edit it and give u the credit!
Old 04-07-2004, 12:22 PM   #32
Saraphim
Shade of Carn Dûm

Saraphim has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Saraphim
The Eye

I think I've got RPGmia. I can't stop signing up for new games! It's a good thing I can only be on two in the Shire, or I would become a complete vegetable. I tried going on hiatus, but I began twitching and had to return. Perhaps I should have tried doing something other than reading about the Mines of Moria.
(It makes more sense if you know that I'm in an RPG called Last Hope for Moria )

It's sad.
Saraphim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2004, 03:48 PM   #33
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Yes Saraphim, i think Pio and Cami did that to stop RPGmia! They've gotten wise! and it isn't sad, because everyone, sooner or later, gets it. I myself am showing pre-symptoms of RPGmia! I'm trying to solve it, but it's hard. Keep fighting the Good fight!
Old 04-09-2004, 04:46 PM   #34
Evisse the Blue
Brightness of a Blade

Evisse the Blue has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Yahoo to Evisse the Blue Send a message via Skype™ to Evisse the Blue
"doctor, is it serious?" "i'm afraid so, there is no current cure, they say"

hi - my name is evisse the blue and i'm a downsaholic,
i have a disease and now thanks to Perky Ent & co I know how to call it:

Just as I thought: I have Quiz Roomitis (all disfunnctional behaviours specified - check!) and partial Quotaphobia. I've also a bit of Hyperpostitis, only without the 'long post' bit; but incompehensible. hell, yeah: sometimes I myself can't understand what I'm actually getting at. (My mind is a tangled knot I can no longer untie....Daily I fight the urge to log on the Barrow Downs to see if someone replied to my recently posted question (QR or QQ, of course).

But have hope, fellow Downsalholics: when the time comes, you will be free. Take me for instance: when I have no net access, I cannot log on, so my symptoms finally dissappear (After a variable period of cold turkey and a mean withdrawal syndrome in which I seem to think that 'all is dark and empty'). As soon as the net comes back, my multiple problem starts anew.

Btw, you were talking about Finwe a few posts back - but I think Mariska Greenleaf beats her to it, or else is slowly gaining on her.

Question: How can you see how many posts one has per forum??

Last edited by Evisse the Blue; 04-09-2004 at 04:53 PM.
Evisse the Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2004, 05:14 PM   #35
Eowyn Skywalker
Shade of Carn Dûm

Eowyn Skywalker has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Eowyn Skywalker
Shield

Well, I may be only a Lotraholic, and a Starwarsitis sufferer, but there is another one that some may suffer from... Forumitis!!!!!

At first it begins in the Barrowdowns forum... but slowly... it creeps up on you. You being to click on the links in peoples signatures... until you find another board... and sign on.

You will be posting on two or three boards maybe... and then it gets you full force! You discover a proboards site... and see the lovely little advertising... to make your own proboards site... and you click it!

You make your own board... and keep it running too... but it's not done yet... then you begin to click on the links in the other forums... and create user names in the board links there... it never ends... you go on and on... typing in the endless number of forums...

I suffer from this. (See the link in my signature...? It's the site that I made...) I post it here to hope that others won't fall to the same fate. (I you do, send me your site link!!!!!)

Symptoms: An endless list of forum links in your favorites, a link to your own site, highlighted links clicked in other peoples links lists...

Problem: Forumitis

Cure: So far, no known cures, as I believe that I am one of the first noted cases. However, if you delete all the links, disconnect the internet, (Save to go on Barrow-downs...) and invest in a ton of books to mark out quotes, you may at least fall you one of the other noted sicknesses. Other then that, I can offer no hope to those who suffer forumitis.

I pray none others suffer this. Do you know any other forums for me...? *Slaps self* No, bad, Eowyn Skywalker, you must not go to any other links...

-Eowyn Skywalker
Eowyn Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2004, 09:27 PM   #36
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

THE UN-OFFICIAL DOWNSAHOLIC FIELD GUIDE

ForumStalkeritis

Symptoms: Primarily having long, sometimes massively off topic, almost entirely unreadable posts that are filled with stuff from LotR but are just too long and bizarre to even attempt reading. I myself have done this and, without offending anyone else, can honestly say I have seen posts like this from others (won't say who *whistles innocently*)

Problem: Hyperpostitis.

Cure: Probably a simple toning it down. Long, thought-out posts are always encouraged, but after you've written such an epic monstrousity, take moment to read it over and make sure it is comprehendable

Symptoms: You have become so attached to the Downs and its members that you are terrified of being shunned, even though the fact is unlikely, and thus never post anything controversial, interesting, argumentative, or even as far as your own views because you're afriad someone will disagree

Problem: Barrowostriphobia, a deep rooted fear of earning dislike from any member of the Downs in the form of 'cold-shoulder giving' or ostricism

Cure: Just take a deep breath, wait for the oppurtunity to rise, and post as any person would. Don't be afriad if you're wrong or if someone doesn't agree. Unless you do something really stupid, you're on the right track (if you have done something really stupid, be afraid...be very, very afraid)

Symptoms: An endless list of forum links in your favorites, a link to your own site, highlighted links clicked in other peoples links lists...

Problem: Forumitis

Cure: So far, no known cures, as I believe that I am one of the first noted cases. However, if you delete all the links, disconnect the internet, (Save to go on Barrow-downs...) and invest in a ton of books to mark out quotes, you may at least fall you one of the other noted sicknesses. Other then that, I can offer no hope to those who suffer forumitis.

COPYRIGHT 2004 PERKY ENT MEDIA
Old 04-13-2004, 04:56 PM   #37
Carlas
Shade of Carn Dûm

Carlas has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Carlas
After reading The Un-official Downsaholic Field Guide, it seems that I have a lot of problems! Oh well, tell me something I don't know....
Old 04-13-2004, 10:33 PM   #38
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Yes Carlas! That is why i must warn you! Sometimes its better not to know! Plus, since it's un-official, it could be completly false! But then you can't get any help! Either way, you lose!
Old 04-20-2004, 07:22 PM   #39
***Gandalf***
Pile O'Bones

***Gandalf*** has just left Hobbiton.
White Tree

I am not infected with any of those viruses, although i'd like to be! i'm just a newbie Oh well, i'll get there eventually
***Gandalf*** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2004, 05:40 PM   #40
The Perky Ent
Maniacal Mage

Silmaril

Yep! Being a member of Downsaholic Anonymous really sets you apart.