The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-06-2004, 10:09 PM   #1
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Just when we thought it was over

Hmm..ol' PJ has a trick up his sleeve. We're beyond hinting now...He's at "planning".
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 12:39 AM   #2
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Oh of course he would love to do it. At least he isn't lying anymore by saying that he wouldn't

Though I have heard that MGM (the only thing in the way of this happening) is someone who has made these type of rights fights go on for a very long time (we're talking years, like 9), so it could still be a while. But I wouldn't bet against seeing a PJ directed Hobbit sometime in the not so distant future.
Old 03-07-2004, 01:23 AM   #3
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
MGM needs a hit. All they have going for them is James Bond. I bet (if they know what is good for them) they will come to an agreement. Studios releasing movies together is nothing new, Dreamworks has been doing it a lot lately to great success.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:11 PM   #4
Eruwen

Eruwen has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien Confused

Why would MGM get the rights to the film anyway? They didn't have any part in LOTR, did they? I thought it was all New Line. So...I don't get the reasoning behind the battle.
Eruwen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 04:40 PM   #5
Sleeping Beauty
Wight

Location: Somewhere between the back of the chair and the monitor
Sleeping Beauty has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via MSN to Sleeping Beauty Send a message via Yahoo to Sleeping Beauty
It's kind of confusing. MGM still holds the distrubition rights to the Hobbit. They bought all the rights off of Tolkien at the end of the sixties. But after some time, Saul Zaentz bought the rights to film the series off of MGM.

MGM had nothing to do with the LOTR series. Saentz struck a deal with film financier Bob Shaye(executive producer of the LOTR) to do the LOTR series. Question for anyone out there, does Saentz still hold the rights to The Hobbit, or did that come in the 270 million deal for LOTR series Shaye made?

I hope the fight won't take that long. They need to do it soon in the wake of the LOTR movie so they can still guarantee the characters that transcend(ie Gandalf, Gollum, Bilbo....)

Speaking of dear old Bilbo, my 111th post. Does this mean I can now disappear and go live with the elves?
Old 03-07-2004, 04:49 PM   #6
kboleen
Animated Skeleton

kboleen has just left Hobbiton.
I think it actually stems back to the cartoon. They may not have had anything to do with PJ's LOTR movies, but if they own a particular right to a portion of the Hobbit book to be made into a movie then they have a right in the say of how it gets made into a movie. I am confident they will come to an agreement, they want the money too, but as PJ has already said, it looks like 2006 or 2007 before he can even get started on it with King Kong on his books until its release Christmas 2005.
kboleen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #7
Beren87
Master of the Secret Fire

Beren87 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via AIM to Beren87 Send a message via Yahoo to Beren87
Huh. Ian's getting old fast, too. Our Gandalf is going to croak.
Beren87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2004, 09:29 PM   #8
Firefoot
Illusionary Holbytla

Firefoot has been trapped in the Barrow!
Well, Beren87, that's a rather blunt way to put it.

I don't really care if they make the Hobbit or not. It would be easier than LotR, and I think they could do a good job of it. But I agree that it would probably be awhile before it comes out. I wonder how long the movie would be? Probably closer to a "regular length" movie. It'll be interesting to see what happens with MGM.
Firefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2004, 12:18 AM   #9
Gorwingel
Beholder of the Mists

Gorwingel has just left Hobbiton.
Quote:
Our Gandalf is going to croak.
Beren,
Ian McKellen is only in his 60's! It's gonna be a long time before he's gone.
Quote:
I wonder how long the movie would be? Probably closer to a "regular length" movie.
I would highly doubt it... I am guessing it will most likely be 3 hours, or in that area. There is just so much detail in that book, and most likely they will even expand some scenes (Rivendell, the Elven King) because they already have the background to support it because of the LOTR.
Old 03-09-2004, 09:38 PM   #10
Mad Baggins
Shade of Carn Dûm

Location: A place where after thunder golden showers come falling like a rain of flowers.
Mad Baggins has just left Hobbiton.
Personally, I'm just curious as to what it would be like to see a Hobbit movie. PJ would probably do a very good job. Hopefully there would be no Osgiliath's in there.