The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Discussions > The Movies
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 07-27-2003, 08:47 PM   #41
HCIsland
Zombie Cannibal

HCIsland has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Book Faramir.<P>My biggest problem is that movie Faramir's motivations never came across, which I blame on editting. I'm hoping that will be rectified to some degree with the special edition, but even with that I still expect to enjoy Book Faramir more. We'll have to see.<P>H.C.
Old 07-28-2003, 05:47 PM   #42
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

The Only Real Estel has just left Hobbiton.
Pipe

I've heard (as I'm sure most of you have as well) that at least a bit more of Faramir will be explained. But that's just some little things that show us why he was so distrustful (& somewhat rude) to Frodo & 'his gardner'. That helps a bit, but I hope it reveals more about him.
The Only Real Estel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2003, 09:05 PM   #43
Aure

Sting

I think that the Faramir in the book was much better because he was nicer to Frodo and Sam.
Old 09-09-2003, 11:22 AM   #44
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Sorry to bring this back, but I've been asked by some people to post the long-over-due totals:<P>Book Faramir: 26 votes (87%)<P>Movie Faramir: 4 votes (13%)<P> Thanks for the votes, actually hearing the arguments was even more fun.
Old 09-12-2003, 01:47 PM   #45
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1 has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

Not too late to enter my post is it?<P>Book Faramir!!! Hehehe, I did a talk on LotR at school as part of my speaking and listening skills for GCSE English...but anyway, I got REALLY worked up about Faramir, people were laughing. Anyway, I'm afraid I've simply argued this too many times to say it again.
Old 09-12-2003, 09:31 PM   #46
Knight of Gondor
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Knight of Gondor has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via Yahoo to Knight of Gondor
Ring

Okay, since I left shortly before the movie TTT came OUT, I haven't been able to express myself on this particular issue, so forgive me if I echo someone else.<P>I liked the book Faramir better, obviously. He was much more lordly and befitting of the position of Steward. <P>But one person brought up the point that the movie did seem to make Faramir more believable as a human, which is a good point. Faramir is almost TOO good in the books, if you take my meaning.<P>But I almost think the character in the movie is enhanced somewhat by the emotional conflict we will see between Denethor, Boromir, and Faramir. Faramir being mistreated and always the unfavored one (as we'll see in the EE and RotK), when he comes upon the Ring, he does not take it for his own personal gain, unlike Boromir. He brought the hobbits to Osgiliath in order to give them to his father, in order to prove it. <P>You can see where some of the flashback will be, the slow pan over Faramir's face in the Cave, remembering the victory in Osgiliath, and his father's cold attitude.<P>And you can also see the emotional conflict on his face when he says "Then [my life] is forfeit" towards the end. That scene, after knowing what I know about the EE material, really impressed me. It's almost a BETTER character coming out of Faramir, rejecting his opportunity to redeem himself to his father. Almost made me cry, but nothing makes me cry.<P>So I think that, while the book is better by far, the movie edition is still more understandable after the EE stuff comes through, and you see the stuff with Denethor.
Eagerly awaiting the REAL Return of the King - Jesus Christ! Revelation 19:11-16
Knight of Gondor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2003, 04:20 AM   #47
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

Hmm yes, I can't wait till the EE. Nothing makes me cry either...well at least I didn't cry in Pearl Harbor (oh man, it goes against the grain to miss out the 'u'...but hey) and all my friends labelled me heartless. But I did cry for three weeks in a row when the Forsyte Saga was last on...
Old 09-13-2003, 03:56 PM   #48
Blue_Punk_Dragon

Silmaril

book Faramir, no doubt in my mind about it.
Old 09-13-2003, 05:02 PM   #49
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

Yeah, if any comments want to be added, that's fine by me, just as long as you know the poll is aready been done .
Old 09-19-2003, 09:11 AM   #50
Balin999
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Balin999 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via ICQ to Balin999
Sting

Book Faramir. <BR>I liked the Faramir in the book, and I hated that idiot in the movies. After the stupid things he did in the movies, the worst was his "wanna-be-tough" look of him.<BR>But then, this could be interpreted as poor Faramir having to show how much better he can do than his brother and therefore being under constant stress. Ha.

...The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, but conformity...

...Everything is possible, except to ski through a revolving door...
Balin999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2003, 10:11 AM   #51
samrohan
Wight

samrohan has just left Hobbiton.
Sting

The actor in the film was very good, perfect for the role. But what PJ made him do is frightfull, much too much artistic license. His role deviates too much from the book, therefore from the reality......
Old 09-19-2003, 12:18 PM   #52
Elentįri_O_Most_Mighty_1
Shade of Carn Dūm

Sting

From the reality? Hate to break it to you people, but Middle Earth's history is actually <I>fiction</I>...or is it?? <P>Awww Estel, can't you update your poll???
Old 09-19-2003, 05:28 PM   #53
The Only Real Estel
Raffish Rapscallion

Pipe

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR>Awww Estel, can't you update your poll???<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> <P> Not for awhile at least.<p>[ September 19, 2003: Message edited by: The Only Real Estel ]
Old 09-19-2003, 06:23 PM   #54
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:<HR> Awww Estel, can't you update your poll??? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>What's the point? Clearly, unless you agree with my (some would say twisted) logic that Book Faramir worked best in the Book and Film Faramir worked best in the Film, Book Faramir will continue to win hands down.