The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum

Visit The *EVEN NEWER* Barrow-Downs Photo Page

Go Back   The Barrow-Downs Discussion Forum > Middle-Earth Fun and Games > Middle-earth Mirth
User Name
Password
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Today's Posts

Old 09-26-2004, 04:36 PM   #1
Meneltarmacil
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Location: The bottom of the ocean, discussing philosophy with a giant squid
Meneltarmacil is a guest of Tom Bombadil.
Eye A question about Tom Bombadil

I'm not sure if this should go in Books, N&N, or Mirth but here it is anyway.

THE SITUATION:
You are walking in the Old Forest when Tom Bombadil appears, singing a song as usual. For no reason, you attempt to pull out a big knife and stab him with it. What exactly would happen? Would the knife go right through and do nothing? Would you be frozen in place and not be able to draw your knife? Would the knife disappear? I'm really interested in hearing your replies.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
Send a message via AIM to Boromir88 Send a message via MSN to Boromir88
1420! Not sure.

I don't know what will happen, maybe the knife will burn up or something, I don't know. But, I do know it probably won't phase him at all, he might even laugh at the attempt (figuring the Bombadil character is a jolly, singing, big man). Bombadil is a mystical character, we know it won't harm him, because as we hear from Glorfindel in the Council of Elrond "Bombadil was first as he is last" and it would take all of Sauron's might to overthrow Bombadil, but Glorfindel does think Sauron could defeat Bombadil if all of Sauron's might is forced upon him.
Boromir88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #3
Elianna
Shade of Carn Dûm

Elianna has just left Hobbiton.
Tolkien

I think Tom would hop out of the way of my knife singing:
"Hey now, crazy lass, you put your knife away!
Tom is in a hurry now. He cannot be delayed.
You go attack Willow Man, he's the one to fear.
But if you attack aught else, it's from Tom that you'll hear."

His words would probably hold a strong power over me, so I would immediately put my knife away and not try it again.

Last edited by Elianna; 09-26-2004 at 05:20 PM.
Elianna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2004, 05:21 PM   #4
The Saucepan Man
Corpus Cacophonous

The Saucepan Man has been trapped in the Barrow!
Boots

He would subject you to an extended reading of his poetry. More than sufficient to deter any recurrence of the incident.
Old 09-26-2004, 05:22 PM   #5
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.Boromir88 is wading through the Dead Marshes.
1420!

I like your little rhyme/song from Bombadil Elianna very creative, and when reading it I actually thought it would be something the Book Bombadil would have said, good post!
Old 09-27-2004, 01:00 AM   #6
Estelyn Telcontar
Princess of Skwerlz

Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!Estelyn Telcontar has reached the Cracks of Doom and destroyed the Ring!
Since this is not a discussion of the actual contents of the book, and answers are highly speculative, with great possibilities for humorous ideas, I'm moving this thread to the Mirth forum. Please continue there.
'Mercy!' cried Gandalf. 'If the giving of information is to be the cure of your inquisitiveness, I shall spend all the rest of my days in answering you. What more do you want to know?' 'The whole history of Middle-earth...'
Estelyn Telcontar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2004, 03:21 AM   #7
Eomer of the Rohirrim
Auspicious Wraith

Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Eomer of the Rohirrim is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Boots

If you stabbed him then he would be badly wounded. However, Tom would probably use his deceptive quickness to jump out of the way of your stroke. He would then tie you up with vines and toss you into the river, whilst muttering something about 'bloody hitchhikers'. You would be left to fend for yourself in the Old Forest, thus you would perish.
Old 09-27-2004, 04:31 PM   #8
Nimrodel_9
Ghost Prince of Cardolan

Nimrodel_9 has just left Hobbiton.
Send a message via MSN to Nimrodel_9
Question That was great, Elianna!

This brings up another question. Can Tom Bombadil die? We know he is immortal, but do you think that he could be killed physically? Hmmmm...
Old 09-27-2004, 07:41 PM   #9
Boromir88
Laconic Loreman

1420! If true...

If we believe the words of Glorfindel, then yes Bombadil can be beaten.

Quote:
Council of Elrond
"But in any case" said Glorfindel, "to send the Ring to him would only postpone the day of evil. He is far away. We could not now take it back to him, unguessed, unmarked by and spy. And even if we could, soon or late the Lord of the Rings would learn of its hiding place and would bend all his power towards it. Could that power be defied by bombadil alone? I think not. I think that in the end, if all else is conquered, Bombadil will fall, Last as he was First; and then night will come."
So you got to ask if you believe Glorfindel's words, because this is only his speculation. What HE thinks, and HE thinks Bombadil would die/fall. I don't see any reason not to believe Glorfindel, he is one of the more powerful elves left on Middle-Earth, and grew in wisdom with his death an "reincarnation."
Old 09-27-2004, 09:44 PM   #10
Nilpaurion Felagund
Scion of The Faithful

Location: The brink, where hope and despair are akin. [The Philippines]
Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.Nilpaurion Felagund is a guest at the Prancing Pony.
Narya If you try to stab Bombadil?

Hmmm . . . perhaps the director would stop the filming process and say "Hey! You're not in my movie!"
Nilpaurion Felagund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 03:33 PM   #11
Pallando
Wight

Pallando has just left Hobbiton.
I think you'd wouldn't be able to get the blade out, or if you did, you wouldn't get a chance to harm him. If you think of it, Frodo and Sam seem to have been entranced from the first moment they heard his voice!

"Hey now! keep that silly blade in its sheath! What be you a-thinking of? Old Tom's in a hurry now, and you'd better not hinder him!"
Pallando is offline   Reply With Quote